Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game News 2.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I don't know what a Tracker Mortgage is, or who Alanah Pearce is. Then again, that I'm riffing on a now 20-year-old joke with the former, likely explains my ignorance of the latter :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

pixelburp wrote: »
    I don't know what a Tracker Mortgage is, or who Alanah Pearce is. Then again, that I'm riffing on a now 20-year-old joke with the former, likely explains my ignorance of the latter :pac:

Showing our age here!

Also, i have no idea who this woman is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Former IGN and Rooster Teeth staffer, has a rather wholesome Youtube channel and most interestingly (imo) runs a podcast called Play, Watch, Listen with Mike Bithell, Austin Wintory and Troy Baker where they talk about games and stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,002 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

That's how I feel in so many of those posts in gaming humour thread.

Alannah used to work for ign but did other stuff after leaving. She comes across as one of the more likeable ones when I've seen any of her stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,453 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I wasn't aware that Lana left RT :(
    I've always liked her humorous stuff and the journo stuff.
    This seems like an odd departure to me, if I'm honest.
    But best of luck to her :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

marcbrophy wrote: »
    I wasn't aware that Lana left RT :(
    I've always liked her humorous stuff and the journo stuff.
    This seems like an odd departure to me, if I'm honest.
    But best of luck to her :)

With the god awful pay and how badly you are treated it seems that most games journalist's goals are to get out of games journalism. It's a very good move for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    With the god awful pay and how badly you are treated it seems that most games journalist's goals are to get out of games journalism. It's a very good move for her.

Well it seems US Gamer is closing at the end of the year so its hard to blame people want to move from the journalism stuff. I'd kinda be shocked if more, even larger sites don't go in the next few years. Not that influencers, etc. offer much quality in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

By all accounts game development pays worse than being a software engineer at a bank, with longer hours and crunch etc. I wonder if the same holds true for video game writers, when compared to a TV show.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,196 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

wes wrote: »
    By all accounts game development pays worse than being a software engineer at a bank, with longer hours and crunch etc. I wonder if the same holds true for video game writers, when compared to a TV show.

With what passes for videogame writing even if the games that are lauded for their writing *cough* Last of Us 2 *cough* I very much doubt they do.

ERG89 wrote: »
    Well it seems US Gamer is closing at the end of the year so its hard to blame people want to move from the journalism stuff. I'd kinda be shocked if more, even larger sites don't go in the next few years. Not that influencers, etc. offer much quality in comparison.

That's the first I heard about Usgamer. I had a feeling they wouldn't last long since Jermey Parish left and am amazed they hung on for so long. Fond of a lot of the writers there, Kat Bailey is excellent and her knowledge on and taste in RPGs is excellent. Mike Williams is a writer whose taste in videogames is totally contrary to my own and yet I like reading his work and hearing his views, at least he has gotten a job elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,531 ✭✭✭✭Varik

USGamer owner also run Pax and a load of big cons and events, they'd be majorly hit by pandemic.

Also own eurogamer, rock paper shotgun, and game industry.

I only care about digital foundry there, and I guess they'd be fine even if eurogamer went.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,364 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Eurogamer is clearly a popular, busy site. But every time I went to USGamer it felt a bit like a tumbleweed village. The articles were there, but just didn’t seem to be much life in the community. They did some good work, but alas never had the sort of impact you need to stay afloat these days.

At least there are more examples of writers / podcasters / videomakers successfully carrying on their popular projects independently after they leave bigger sites. Won’t work for everybody, and the resources of a big site are often still important for particular types of work. But good that more avenues are there beyond the traditional paths.

I very much doubt Eurogamer is going anywhere, same with RPS and gameindustry.biz

• Registered Users Posts: 33,538 ✭✭✭✭Penn

From what I read she's wanted to be a writer in games for years regardless. Always been what she's been aiming for.

Only started watching a few of her videos the last few months, but really enjoy her content. Hope she doesn't abandon that completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,002 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

While looking up what she did before this, found a photo that may or may not help football fans you form an opinion
    https://twitter.com/Charalanahzard/status/1134865488679297024

So seems she's a Liverpool supporter

Dead to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,160 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I knew nothing about her but suddenly I think she's a horrible person.

I think i love her all of a sudden...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Dead to me.
    J. Marston wrote: »
    I knew nothing about her but suddenly I think she's a horrible person.

Corey Barlog is also a Liverpool fan. Clearly they have decided that the only way to make GoW Ragnorok even better than the first game is to get more Liverpool fans in the door.

Sensible move.

Markitron wrote: »
    Corey Barlog is also a Liverpool fan. Clearly they have decided that the only way to make GoW Ragnorok even better than the first game is to get more Liverpool fans in the door.

Sensible move.

I suppose Kratos' violence is on par with a drunken scouser/Liverpool supporter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

I suppose Kratos' violence is on par with a drunken scouser/Liverpool supporter.

Really? This nonsense?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I look away for 5 minutes and the thread's suddenly full of football nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Take your sports ball nonsense over to the Soccer forum, nerds.

Markitron wrote: »
    Really? This nonsense?

Liverpool fans: Not known for their thick skin and controlled sensitivity.

LiverpoolFootball fans: Not known for their thick skin and controlled sensitivity.

FYP ;)

CastorTroy wrote: »
    So seems she's a Liverpool supporter
    Smell my fingers

Halo 4 just dropped on MCC on PC.

Yeah, I'm finding it hard to care as well.

I havent been excited for a Halo game since Halo 3

• Registered Users Posts: 13,939 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Vicxas wrote: »
    I havent been excited for a Halo game

FYP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Vicxas wrote: »
    I havent been excited for a Halo game since Halo 3

I loved ODST & Reach as well but Halo 4 was a drop off in interest from me and I've not played Halo 5 but not heard good things. I imagine Microsoft have been sounding out Bungie non stop to make just one Halo game for them ever since they split from Activision.

Advertisement