Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game News 2.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Looks like a BioShock movie might be finally happening; Netflix are looking at Francis Lawrence to direct.

Not sure a film is the right fit though; a TV series would have been my pick to adapt something like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

I actually think a movie would be the best fit, I don't think we need to be shown all the events leading up to the first game - they are better off hinted at. And the actual events of that game take place over a day or two.

The main reason I wanted it to be a movie is because it was always going to need a huge budget to do it right, I'm not sure Netflix is going to throw enough at it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Taito is about to start selling digital crack cocaine.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,808 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I just saw that 12 minutes is coming to Android and Netflix games soon (was supposed to be August but got delayed). I know it got slated on release but I'm still looking forward to giving it a go.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Don't play it. Not even ironically while drunk. It will just infuriate you as it threats the player like they are an absolute dumb-dumb. It's the only time I've felt insulted by a game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I see Creative Assembly are having another go at third person action games. Just get cracking on Medieval TW III damnit.

• Administrators Posts: 53,740 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Rumors Amazon are going to formally announce a bid to purchase EA later today.

Pity it isn't embracer, we might finally be able to buy their PS2 LotR games again.

I heard rumours that the new need for speed will be aimed at the fortnite audience. BS i thought and then saw this leaked video showing cartoon effects popping up on the car and wings appearing for a jump. WTF is going on with games.

The Fortnite crowd they are aiming for does not want to buy need for speed and NFS fans do not want this. Queue the head scratching 'why isn't our game selling' and let's blame the devs even though we told them this is what we wanted.

• Advertisement

That generic cartoony soulless art style is the single biggest crime that Fortnite has inflicted upon the industry.

I'd rather bring back the piss filter than play a game that looks in any way like Fortnite

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's no different to Hollywood: it's all a race to be second. There something popular? Copy that!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It's Criterion making the game, and while they aren't the same studio they once were their previous NFS games were good enough that one context-free two-second gif is nowhere near enough to make a judgment on it.

I think some of those 'hand-drawn' flourishes could add a bit of life to an art style if - and it's a definite 'if' - handled well. As said, it's only a short gif for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I remember a few years back when EA moved to the frostbite engine across the board, we were going to have it all, excellent driving in Battlefield, excellent destruction in racing games, etc, etc.

In reality all of their games just got caught up in a whirlwind of mediocrity.

Started long before Fortnite. It was basically started by Dreamworks and their mediocre CGI movies which bled into mobile and then bled into other games.

It disgusts me as well just like the soulless adobe illustrator art you'd get in games in the late 2000's. It's basically a way to make art assets cheaply and quickly but then when popular games have that are the money men jump on the art and believe it's why the game is so successful and you see it perpetuate from there. The adobe illustrator thing got so bad it's what they were teaching students in universities to aim for, and irish universities before this had pretty great art and animation courses. When I was in the industry back then it was near impossible to find an artist that was just peddling a portfolio of barely shaded generic mobile phone art.

Fair play to them, they no doubt got their clicks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It's quite funny how 'rumour' in a news story headline has become even more of a hedge than 'report'.

'Report': 'We don't know if this is true but the source is reputable...'

'Rumour': 'I dunno, there's a good chance this is utter bullshit but we're publishing it anyway'

Swedish meatball report 😅 Instead of Swedish media report.

That guy is some clown. He's the same guy that was shocked we don't use sterling when interviewing the head of the IDA.

• Advertisement

This is how the markets work. Buy the rumour, sell the news.

I think the logic being you get in before its announced while the stock is cheap and by the time it's announced stock price has already peaked and its time to sell.

So you see prices spiking and dropping on rumours and debunking of rumours.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Yep, this kind of art in media kills me. Just leave me stone cold dead inside.

With the real life simulator tend these days, i didn't see a Beer Brewing game being made.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

New Tales From The Borderlands will be out on the 21st of October.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

PlayStation to acquire mobile-game developer Savage Game Studios

Today, we announced that we have entered into a definitive agreement to acquire Savage Game Studios, a hugely talented team of creatives with many years of experience making some of the most popular mobile games enjoyed by players around the world. They were founded a few years ago with the goal of fearlessly exploring bold new ideas. We share their tireless ambition to innovate, along with a continued drive to expand our audience and bring PlayStation to more people than ever before, making them a perfect fit to join PlayStation Studios.

I'll turn it over to Michail Katkoff, CEO and Co-founder of Savage Game Studios, for proper introductions:

Thanks, Hermen, and hello everyone in the PlayStation community!

Established in 2020 and led by myself and fellow Co-founders Nadjim Adjir and Michael McManus, Savage Game Studios was born of our many years of mobile game development experience spanning a number of massively successful global IP. Our guiding vision was a creative space where experimentation and taking risks weren't warily avoided, but rather eagerly embraced. We've all worked at big studios and while we respect the advantages of ample resources, we wanted to stay small and nimble so we could call our own shots.

"So why then," you may be thinking to yourself, "would you join PlayStation Studios?" We made this deal because we believe that PlayStation Studios' leadership respects our vision for how we can best operate and succeed, and because they too are not afraid to take chances. All of that, plus the ability to potentially tap into PlayStation's amazing catalog of IP and the fact that we will benefit from the kind of support that only they can provide… The harder question to answer would be "why not?"

On behalf of everybody at Savage Game Studios, thank you for having us. We can't wait to show you what we've been working on!

As we assured you before with our plans to bring select titles to PC, our efforts beyond console in no way diminish our commitment to the PlayStation community, nor our passion to keep making amazing single-player, narrative-driven experiences. It's been a tremendous year for games on PlayStation 5 and PlayStation 4, with huge releases including Horizon Forbidden West, Gran Turismo 7, MLB The Show 22, and on November 9th, the highly anticipated God of War: Ragnarok. PlayStation VR2 is also on the horizon, and promises a huge leap forward in presence and immersion, bolstered by best-in-class software like Horizon: Call of the Mountain. We're proud of our upcoming releases on PC as well, with Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves Collection and Marvel's Spider-Man giving gamers without PlayStation hardware a taste of our amazing library of first-party titles.

Our mobile gaming efforts will be similarly additive, providing more ways for more people to engage with our content, and striving to reach new audiences unfamiliar with PlayStation and our games. Savage Game Studios is joining a newly created PlayStation Studios Mobile Division, which will operate independently from our console development and focus on innovative, on-the-go experiences based on new and existing PlayStation IP.

I hope you'll join me in welcoming Savage Game Studios into the fold, and that those of you who enjoy mobile gaming in addition to console or PC will look forward to what they have in store. They're already working on a new unannounced AAA mobile live service action game. It's too early to reveal more, but I'm so excited for when they'll be able to."

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I've read a couple of articles about that, and not one of them even mentioned a game previously made by these people. I've no idea who they are or what they do, but it also looks like it won't matter as I don't game on mobile anyway. Even their website doesn't list any games... just a main page, a "Culture" page (ugh) and a Join page...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,454 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Is this them?

Founded in 2020 and have 4 employees.

Doesn't look like they've made anything yet...

https://www.crunchbase.com/organization/savage-game-studios

They must have done something to get noticed though! You'd wonder!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I had a bunch of chances to look at this yesterday, they really don't seem to broadcast their portfolio much at all. I couldn't get any insights into their past stuff

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,587 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'll have to pick that up for Switch, looks more of the same and therefore fantastic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

@marcbrophy has it, Polygon saying the same:

"Savage Game Studios was founded in 2020 and is based in Berlin and Helsinki. So far it has not launched any titles, mobile or otherwise. In January 2021, the studio mentioned it was developing a shooter for mobile devices when it announced $4.4 million in seed funding."

Whatever that shooter is, Sony must have liked the sound of it. And the option to potentially bring PS IP's into it, sounds like another BR-type game.

Advertisement