Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game News 2.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I know it's not gaming related (anymore anyway), but the way google have handled their layoffs is particularly ****. Turn up at your building and if your swipe card works, you're still employed. Grim.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The round of layoffs this week is largely a reminder of how appalling US employment law is. It’s never a nice experience to be fired or made redundant, but at least here in Ireland - and most countries - there are reasonable protections and procedures. In the US, it’s a disaster - entirely based on the whims of the company, and often leaving staff without even any healthcare protection.

A lot of these companies do provide ‘generous’ packages to laid off staff, but it’s appalling there are no automatic protections that kick in. It’s a nightmare at the moment particularly as all the job losses across big tech and games journalism mean those losing their jobs will find it even harder to find another one when they go looking. Hopefully the so far slow unionisation push picks up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'm a bit behind but I just have to go back to @Retr0gamers comment that Halo was better than Timesplitters. Get on up out of that. I'll like Souls games before I agree with that. You're just wrong there!

Has nothing to do with the probable thousands of hours I spent in Timesplitters 1 & 2. And to go onto the floaty only-headshots-work Halo... no. And I'm not even talking about MP! Master Queef has nothing on the Timesplitters Monkey!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,845 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

The thing that really gets to me is the comments from the Google CEO that he takes full responsibility for the mistake that over staffed.

Not going to resign, not going to forego the bonus or pay to help fund the employees. But rather write a press release.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,277 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Just count yourself lucky you missed out on experiencing the ridicule and rejection of that one person that turns up at a college party in the early 2000's with a PS2 and timesplitters.

Well deserved ridicule at that.

I mean the PS2 was amazing but it was a garbage multiplayer system compared to the gamecube and xbox.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,277 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There's protections for permanent staff. But the fact that they are firing them in this way means that every single one of them is a contractor and they have no legal rights to compensation and are at the whims of the company that can cancel that contract and see them out the door that day.

I'm beginning to see that all this nostalgia people have of Halo is playing it with friends. Maybe that's why I never liked it, as a solo experience it was trash imo. Don't think I would have been attending those parties even if I was invited!

Everyone was invited, the jocks needed the dorks to set the LAN up.

I'm not sure when you played Halo but in 2001 it was far, far ahead of any console FPS game and compared to PC shooters it was right up there with them. It was the first FPS game to match PC FPS games. Unless you were heavily into PC FPS games and the slow speed turned you off it? It had issues, the Flood were boring to fight and going backwards through all the levels showed the game was obviously rushed but I really can't see how a FPS fan couldn't enjoy the opening half of the game. The combat loop is extremely satisfying and holds up. I mean if you don't enjoy FPS games, fine but don't go telling me timesplitters, Resistance and Killzone are better. Then you get to Halo 3 and Reach which are just an absolute blast and still hold up.

I didn't have an Xbox, so I only got a loan of one to play it. I was still on PS2 at the time and definitely not a PC player! I just didn't like it. The first level, the bullet sponge enemies, the story... It looked pretty at the time, but nothing else about it appealed to me. I'm not even sure if I finished the first level, I disliked it that much. Now, in my defence, I was probably still welded to GTA3, SSX Tricky came out very soon before it, but I didn't get to play it soon after it came out. Was sometime into the next year, and I'm pretty sure Vice City (the BEST GTA) had released. I think as people are saying, Halo was popular due to the social side it allowed. If one was unsocial, one didn't enjoy it. It's not that I was unsocial, just my social circle at the time was the typical sports/drinking types because gaming was still niche in my area of the woods.

• Advertisement

Well from that I'll make two assumptions. The first level is on a space station and full of narrow grey corridors and acts as a tutorial. It's kind of set up to be bland and boring because on the second stage when you step out on to the Ring for the first time and see the vast lush environment in front of you, the contrast is meant to heighten that reveal and show you that this is something that really couldn't have been made on any other console at the time.

Second I'm guessing as a playstation fan, a timesplitters player and a non PC gamer that the dual stick controls at the time were totally alien to you and you really didn't get on with them. I had PC friends that took a long time to get to grips with it and I was only in tune with it because I played Quake 2 and Alien Resurrection this way (and medal of honour but you had to really dig into the menu to find the dual stick controls).

Honestly the social side of Halo was only really in colleges. The vast majority of people wouldn't have played much Halo. It's a damn fine single player game and that's what grabbed most people. The social side of it came after and was a bonus. Just check out reviews at the time, here's the eurogamer review which was famously one of the lowest rated for the game at the time (and I happened to think was right on the money about it):

Halo is one of the biggest killer apps and launch titles ever. I mean at the time XBox was launch it was seen as a joke going up against Nintendo and Sony. Everyone thought it was going to flop hard and nobody was interested in any of the launch games. Halo came from no where and surprised everyone with how good it was. It was a game so good that people bought an xbox just to play it.

We literally wouldn't have XBox if it wasn't for Halo being such a good game.

Oh and lets not forget the co-op mode that let you play the entire campaign with a friend, a feature that was only really reserved for online play on PCs at the time but could now be enjoyed on the couch. It became a common feature but it was Halo that kicked that all off.

Got to the green area alright, but wasn't long after that I stopped. Wasn't the visuals, it was the gameplay. Don't even remember the tutorial area tbh! It mustn't have been what I wanted at the time. I'm pretty sure I had an issue with the controller too. Not the layout, just the sheer size of it. Compared to the DualShock 2, it was stupid and oversized. But that's what I was used to and evolved into from the PS1. Probably some fanboy-ism involved, I was only around 20. I just didn't like it. And I have plenty memories of 12 hour Saturdays playing Timeplitters 2 with a mate. Maybe if I had been around someone like yourself to give me a different point of view, it might have been different.

Pretty sure I was used to dual stick at that point, Ape Escape was the first game to require them and I played the crap out of that. As far as I can Google, Timesplitters used both sticks. Just a case of each to their own I suppose. I've problems remembering last week, 22 years ago is something else. Oh damn... 22 years ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,603 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Just to add, officially confirmed now. Last update (fixes etc, not new content) will be end of March. Official support ends late September. Game will still be playable both single and mulitplayer, but game will no longer be sold online and no further support. All marketplace items become free after September.

Ape Escape used the dual analogue like no other game. Timesplitters was dual analogue but it played a lot more like goldeneye than a modern PC shooter which was what Halo resembled. Again dual analogue controls were very new and it took a while for people to get used to them. Famously IGN called the controls in Alien Resurrection on PS1 terrible even though they were exactly the same as modern dual analogue controls.

One thing to remember about Halo and it's controls is that it might not have been the first game to use dual analogue controls on a console but it was the first game to make them work. On earlier games FPS in dual analogue were very unwieldy and it was very hard to aim accurately. It's why Goldeneye and it's predecessors like Timesplitters had insane amounts of auto aim. If you are stopping to aim in those games and not letting the auto aim do the aiming then you were playing them wrong. Analogue sticks are terrible compared to a mouse when it comes to accurate aiming and control. Halo on the other hand added slight subtle auto aim and target tracking to the controls that made dual analogue work on a console. Every game you play since has had this to make them playable on console and it was all down to Halo.

I did like Timesplitters 2 and played it a lot in 4 player on Gamecube but the single player was pretty bad. Multiplayer was fun but it felt a bit dated, being closer to Goldeneye than more modern shooters. Halo came out a whole year before TS2.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,808 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

re Avengers news, after March, all store items become free and after September, you can't buy the game anymore but if you already own it by then, you can continue to play the single player game and also with friends? Must be missing something, why remove purchase if you can still play it?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Just a slight correction on this, they were let go by email, and only the people that didn't check their email found out like this. Still not great, but not as absolutely terrible. I mean, it can't cost that much to run an exit interview, maybe set up some employment leads....

While I'm doing slight corrections, the Halo rumour seems to be off too, there was never any DLC planned, and the rest of it is false/speculation. I guess we shall see.

I think it's to do with licencing of the IP. If the game isn't available for sale any more they don't have to pay licencing fees or something for the characters/IP, though people who already own the game can still play/download it. Think there was similar with the Deadpool game a while back and maybe other Marvel/Disney games.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,808 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Hmm this will surely boost sales before they shutdown so.

Yeah, might get a boost especially knowing that all marketplace items will be free after September (from my reading of it they're stopping sale of credits/mtx etc at the end of March and marketplace items will still have to be bought/earned in game, but items won't actually become free for everyone until September).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Yeah Marvel games are pretty notorious for being delisted due to license expiry.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

More game press layoffs, this time at the Washington Post. They actually had a really strong games section, led by Gene Park and some good reporters.

There’s a lot of value in having a dedicated gaming section in a major publication, so it’s reaching audiences other than the core one. So it’s really a bummer so few places are putting the resources in to properly develop one. The Guardian is the only other place off the top of my head that has put similar effort in.

It seems Justin Roiland resigned from Squanch Games (High on Life developer which he founded) after the news about the domestic abuse charges he's facing emerged. Squanch announced it last night, shortly after Adult Swim announced he has been fired from Rick & Morty.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,321 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I never felt more old when it came to comedy, than when I repeatedly gave Roiland's work a chance; I just don't get it. Well. No, I do get it, I just think it's wildly lazy and unfunny.

It's often a case of "throw enough sh*t at the wall" comedy. Even Rick & Morty (which I've been reading Roiland hasn't really written for since the first season), there are just so many lines/jokes that most aren't funny, some are funny, some are kinda clever enough they'll get a smirk, then some are just so dumb that they do make you laugh even though you know they're not really funny.

I've definitely gotten some good laughs from R&M and think some of the writing is clever/good, but some episodes are dire or good jokes buried so deep in amongst a lot of crud.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Goldeneye is out on Xbox and Nintendo Switch Online on Friday. No mention of price on Xbox, but most likely €20. The game is also included in Game Pass and free for owners of digital copies of Rare Replay. The Xbox version doesn't support onlime multiplayer, the Switch version does.

I want an apology from each and every one of you this friday for all the **** I got for saying Goldeneye is horribly dated.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

• Registered Users Posts: 6,454 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Fúck, it was dated by 2003. Who thinks it isn't dated? :)

Still some fun nostalgia for half an hour!

Presumably coming g to cloud. So fun nostalgia for half an hour on your phone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement