Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game News 2.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

• Registered Users Posts: 23,161 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Between this and the LOTR show being as interesting as watching grass grow, that IP has taken a hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Similar to Star Wars, they need to set any new LOTR stuff in a time separate from the books. Create a new story, like they did with the Middle-Earth Shadow of games. Trying to create something new to intertwine with already extremely well established and explored lore, it's time to move away because it will never live up to the expectations. Just don't mess it up like with Shadow of War with Live Service style crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Forza Motorsport cover art revealed:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭quokula

A Corvette and a Cadillac doesn't exactly scream that this is a game with a diverse international line up, hopefully the game isn't too Americanised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Villanelle and Hopper are finally teaming up.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭Niska

Two after Relic announced 121 job losses. Took me a moment to go from - that makes sense, you let 121 people go it will be delayed TO oh yeah, Relic no longer make Homeworld.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,809 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Alone in the Dark, out October, prologue demo now available. It's on PSN anyway, not sure about other platforms. Search alone in the dark and select the drop-down to change product to the demo.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

A new Alone in the Dark, aiming for atmosphere? We've come a lonnnnnng way, baby.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Seems like there was a very good reason TLOU Factions wasn’t at the PS event.

So it went from Factions 2.0 to "oh we can do so much more with this, let's put more resources on it" to "hhmm not quite working, let's take resources off it and have another think". They should have at least kept Factions in TLOU pt.1. speaking of, Part 1 is the most expensive PS5 game you can buy in Smyths at 75 euro, ridiculous.

*Yes, I am bit bitter about this Factions news.

Sounds like a big misstep unfortunately. It hasn't been cancelled though, so hopefully they can salvage something good from it.

So the single player game they're working on... TLOU 3, right? Or is it wishful thinking on my part to imagine that they're doing something new?

It's mental, if true, that Sony asked Bungie, the GAAS experts, to assess their current projects and Bungie raised questions if Factions could keep players long term and Sony went with their advice. If true Bungie is definitely an undercover xbox agent :)

As for their single player game, i would imagine it's a new IP if not for the HBO show being so successful. Wouldn't be surprised if Sony told them to make 3 so they did have tv material.

I hadn't seen that about Bungie questioning it. I mean, they have Marathon in the works so maybe they didn't want the competition from a rival GAAS. 😂

Dave the Diver leaving early access and releasing on Steam in June. Really hope this comes to consoles, looks excellent!

Post edited by Zero-Cool on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Wishlisted!

Oh wow, People Make Games has put together a massive, deeply reported 2.5 hour video on the whole mess around the recent events surrounding ZA/UM and the future of Disco Elysium. Delighted someone finally got around to properly looking into this - even happier it’s PMG.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

People Make Games has been low-key one of the best Video Games channels on YouTube for years now. I've always thought they're not half as championed as they should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,845 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Fantastic work again. I really enjoy their work. Coffeezila is another channel in a similar investigative journalism style if you are interested in more content like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Hot Wheels Unleashed 2 out Oct 19th. Really enjoyed the last one, great for dipping in and out of

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Moire layoffs, this time at Firaxis. Not too bad with only 30 gone. I'd say that this is more of a "rationalisation opportunity" than a hint of problems at the developer

If these guys got paid per hour I've put into their games, then they'd be all set on my play time for Civ 6 alone.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,279 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Sounds like their Marvel game didn't do the numbers it needed. Shame as I heard it's exceptional but card based games are kind of commercial poison for a lot of people and turn them off trying the games.

Midnight suns was actually pretty great. It didn't click with me fully as i kept wishing it was more like xcom but absolutely understand why they couldn't do that. So i inside you had the 'i wish it was like xcom' crowd and the 'i hate cards system' crowd and you could say the 'cards' were stacked against them.... anybody?

Man, might have to spin up xcom 2 again, great time to advise people to try it and play on rookie. Still a good challenge but the time/move countdown isn't as annoying. Super game.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Yuji Naka has been jailed for 2 and a half years in his insider trading case.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,279 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Deserves longer for creating Shadow the hedgehog and making people believe Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 are good games.

Jason Schreier has a quick thread on where Redfall went wrong, and of course it was management wanting a GAAS game. Other news in there though, is that we they tried to force through this game, 70% of the developers of Prey left (not all at once, over time).

Currently playing through Prey right now, and it's great. Sad that it didn't sell more.

• Advertisement

Doesn't bode well for Arkane's future: a haemorrhage of talent, and management can now hang this failure over creatives' heads

Advertisement