Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game News 2.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Bit of good news. Devotion - the Taiwanese horror game pulled from stores after a wayward art asset seen as mocking Xi Jinping - is coming back.

https://twitter.com/redcandlegames/status/1339148313032060929?s=21

Developers say it’s the full game, but I’m sure a certain art asset will be stripped. Whole situation is a frightening study in the power of Chinese state censorship, but glad there’s finally something of a happy ending.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm snapping this up the minute it's released to support the devs. Annoyed I didn't the first time. It's great there is a happy ending but it's scary the power china holds over the rest of the world and how much our western culture relies on china's rare earth metal resources and cheap labour and lets them away with so much. Also scary how much they have indoctrinated their populace.

Xi Jinping does look like winnie the pooh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'm snapping this up the minute it's released to support the devs. Annoyed I didn't the first time. It's great there is a happy ending but it's scary the power china holds over the rest of the world and how much our western culture relies on china's rare earth metal resources and cheap labour and lets them away with so much. Also scary how much they have indoctrinated their populace.

Indeed, a couple of years ago an anime adaptation of a light novel got nuked, and the original light novel removed from publication due to Chinese social media claiming the main character had a striking resemblance to a notorious Japanese general and pulled up a few less than flattering comments the author made about China on Twitter to substantiate it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

China needs to learn to be less of a snowflake and have a sense of humour. I mean if China and it's government was a person they would be a Karen.

There's a scary indoctrination of the population there as well. Everything is about how great and infallible china is. Nearly every movie they make is about the unification of china. Same story everytime. There's three great epic stories of chinese literature but 'The Water Margin' is nearly non-existent now as it's about an army of commoners rising up against the oppressive government. Even when I was playing PUBG you could cause an absolute ****storm for saying Taiwan number one and get tonnes of abuse from chinese players (which was in a sick way highly entertaining).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

pixelburp wrote: »
    I'm sitting here feeding our first; two months old Friday and the idea someone could try to monetise their child in such a public, fractious environment, feels perverse. Probably doesn't qualify for child services intervening but you would feel for the kid.

*Goes off to Google "can you sell your child on gumtree"*

I've a 6 and 10 year old who are just now getting into watching stuff on youtube,
    the amount of families on there who are recording almost every facet of their life, including traumatic stuff like kids reactions when pets die is astonishing.

The kids likely think its great as they're bombarded with stuff in the interest of making content, but realistically, they've no way of expressing consent for any of this stuff as they obviously cant understand the long term potential problems it'll cause.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,036 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Seems some politicians in the UK didn't get a PS5 or a 3080

https://www.videogameschronicle.com/news/uk-politicians-call-for-action-against-ps5-and-xbox-series-scalpers/
    Six Scottish National Party tabled an Early Day Motion on Monday, calling for legislative proposals “prohibiting the resale of gaming consoles and computer components at prices greatly above Manufacturer’s Recommended Retail Price.”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

That post about Activision banning a 6 year old streamer was a scam.

There was something creepy about letting your 6 year old play over 18s games in the first place. Now it's clear the parents make him do it so he can make them an income stream.

Then they faked this ban so he would go viral. The reason behind that is so he could become part of some e sport merch selling group that flogs tat to kids.

Hopefully Twitch and Youtube do ban the channel.

https://www-pcgamer-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.pcgamer.com/amp/a-family-lied-about-their-six-year-old-childs-warzone-ban-to-create-viral-news/?amp_js_v=a6&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA%3D#csi=1&referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.pcgamer.com%2Fa-family-lied-about-their-six-year-old-childs-warzone-ban-to-create-viral-news%2F

Faze clan. Quelle surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

CastorTroy wrote: »

It's not a bad idea and hopefully they can find a way to stop scalpers for items like this or ticket sales for concerts.

Cex giving people €700 for a PS5 are being complete scumbags and that should totally be stopped as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Faze clan. Quelle surprise.

I hate when I have to google stuff like this and then find another bunch of arseholes that I was previously blissfully unaware of.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Bit of good news. Devotion - the Taiwanese horror game pulled from stores after a wayward art asset seen as mocking Xi Jinping - is coming back.

https://twitter.com/redcandlegames/status/1339148313032060929?s=21

Developers say it’s the full game, but I’m sure a certain art asset will be stripped. Whole situation is a frightening study in the power of Chinese state censorship, but glad there’s finally something of a happy ending.

Well, that didn't last long.... :rolleyes:

https://twitter.com/GOGcom/status/1339227388438306817?s=20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Sorry no can buy

https://twitter.com/GOGcom/status/1339227388438306817

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Never seen a company torch their reputation as dramatically as CDPR have over the past seven days. Absolutely cowardly decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Government shouldn't be involved in something like this.

I'd love to know the reason.

I'm guessing they got hammered by chinese saying they would boycott the store and the shareholders got scared.

Or else chinese shareholders on the board.

I'm actually really mad about this >:(

• Registered Users Posts: 23,161 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

ERG89 wrote: »

That turned out to be a whole lot of nothing.

The big announcement was new Kojima Productions merchandise and a free wallpaper.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I'd love to know the reason.

I'm guessing they got hammered by chinese saying they would boycott the store and the shareholders got scared.

Or else chinese shareholders on the board.

I'm actually really mad about this >:(

I read somewhere before that CD Projekt Red are really loved in China. There was a lot of pre-orders for Cyberpunk there too. I could easily see the Chinese government saying they aren't happy about it and threatening them with the ban stick and CDPR folding as a result. Happens all the time with China. Look at how the NBA bent over backwards to appease the Chinese government when one of the coaches tweeted something about Hong Kong. China have no problems throwing their weight around about shít like this and companies fold easily because they don't want to lose out of the lucrative market. It's really shít, the rest of the world should be standing up against China pulling this shít.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I read somewhere before that CD Projekt Red are really loved in China. There was a lot of pre-orders for Cyberpunk there too. I could easily see the Chinese government saying they aren't happy about it and threatening them with the ban stick and CDPR folding as a result. Happens all the time with China. Look at how the NBA bent over backwards to appease the Chinese government when one of the coaches tweeted something about Hong Kong. China have no problems throwing their weight around about shít like this and companies fold easily because they don't want to lose out of the lucrative market. It's really shít, the rest of the world should be standing up against China pulling this shít.

This is exactly it. Any public figure who does anything to anger China, gets the weight of the CCP on their parent organisation, and immediately afterwards you get a walkback and not quite apology. It's cowardly, and needs to be called out more.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Death Standing on PC has been updated with free Cyberpunk themed content.

https://www.pcgamer.com/death-stranding-has-a-cyberpunk-2077-update-with-six-new-missions-and-items/

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Kiith wrote: »
    This is exactly it. Any public figure who does anything to anger China, gets the weight of the CCP on their parent organisation, and immediately afterwards you get a walkback and not quite apology. It's cowardly, and needs to be called out more.

Just imagine if this was Trump and not China. The rest of the world would be coming out against him. Governments and large companies across the world would be speaking out against it. But when it's China, it makes the news for a few days and that's more or less it. All because they know, if they stand up to it or speak out against it China will just do the same thing to them and they lose a shítload of their revenue.

A number of online PC game stores are giving away free games at the moment.

Ubisoft Connect is giving away Trials Rising
    GOG is giving away Prison Architect
    Epic Games is giving away Cities Skylines and also giving anyone who logs in a €10 voucher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,036 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

What I find funny about the reaction to CDPR/GOG not putting the game up is that a lot of the ones calling them cowards for not standing up to China are the same ones who criticise them for not doing what the vocal minority want or pointing out how it's a good thing that they gave in to gamer criticism.
    I know I would probably be more worried about China than gamers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Kiith wrote: »
    This is the reason I requested a refund of the game. I was happy to leave it in my GOG library until the bugs were patched as that didn't bother me but I'm not supporting companies when I can help it that censor the west to suit China. Got my notification today that it was removed from my library (You need to manually remove the files but the game is gone from GOG) and I will get a refund in the next few days.
    I've asked for refunds of other games I bought on their and will try get them on other platforms now.

In related CP2077 news Death Stranding on PC got a patch to include some crossover content today. Think it's about 6 missions featuring lore and characters from CP2077

• Registered Users Posts: 29,811 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

In related CP2077 news Death Stranding on PC got a patch to include some crossover content today. Think it's about 6 missions featuring lore and characters from CP2077

I wonder why it's just PC.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I wonder why it's just PC.

Didn't spot Azza had posted the same news like hours before me lol but anyway Microsoft have some kind of deal regarding promotion of the game on consoles I think, they had the CP2077 One X themed console and the car in Forza Horizon 4 so likely meant Sony couldn't update the PS4 version.

No problem, its the second time the PC version has got exclusive content, the first being the Half-Life Alyx cross over items.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

It's just easier to add stuff to pc version. No cert needed either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I could never get into the Metal Gear games or most open world stuff for some reason but I loved Death Stranding. It made walking places interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,035 ✭✭✭Unearthly

They should release a ps4 update of it to, but once you start the extra missions the graphics should deteriorate along with the frame rate and have a load of bugs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Late last night Sony removed Cyberpunk from their stores and are offering full refunds.

Advertisement