Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game News 2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,714 ✭✭✭✭briany

They could have Leeroy Jenkins be the spokesman.

"Least I have chicken!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

If the enduring popularity of the Hot Wheels/Barbie PC on Youtube is anything to go by then custom PC's are probably worth the effort in marketing terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,914 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Why am I reminded of Slightly Mad Studios's "Mad Box" right now? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Another wave of leaks from the big 3 is happening on image boards right now. 3TB

• Registered Users Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

A new teaser trailer for STALKER 2 has been released. In-engine, rather than in-game.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Anyone here played Sense - A Cyberpunk Ghost Story? I know nothing about the game but the twitter mob want them to comply and censor the game as its overly violent,they've even had death threats, nice to see a game dev not bow down and give in.

https://twitter.com/TopHatStudiosEN/status/1345071217636732930

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Anyone here played Sense - A Cyberpunk Ghost Story? I know nothing about the game but the twitter mob want them to comply and censor the game as its overly violent,they've even had death threats, nice to see a game dev not bow down and give in.

Death threats because a game is too violent. Gotta love the irony

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Never heard of the game and even outlets I found reporting the issue were thin on details as to the exact offence; what little I got, mixed with watching the trailer and seeing the main characters ginormous chest, made it sound like a skeezy exploitation / titillation game - so I presume the overt violence then is of a sexual nature. In which case, gross, yeah. No justification for death threats mind you, that goes without saying.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Totally get the sense this is a developer exaggerating ‘calls for censorship’ as a marketing ploy to the GamerGate crowd. LOL at them complaining about grandstanding in a statement like that.

If they’re getting death threats that’s absolutely unacceptable, and of course I’m anti-censorship (even when it comes to adolescent, try-hard titillation games - can criticise them without calling for them to be banned). But something here is setting off alarm bells that this is a very convenient way of getting some attention for a game that’s about to be released (is out on Steam already and nobody played it). Doesn’t seem like there was anything approaching widespread public outrage or even reaction to the game before this statement was dropped into the world.

*edit: saw the tweets and private messages shared by the developers. Seems this is all based on a handful of tweets and private messages. Another case of the outrage about the outrage being far, far louder than the initial outrage.

Wasteland devs (Inxile) are working on a new first person RPG according to job listings. My first thought was Wasteland is doing a Fallout, or maybe even Inxile are making a Fallout, but this will be set in a new world apparently. Still, one to watch for me anyway. Will be made using UE5. Full story at PCGamesN.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Seen the logo for "BINK VIDEO" pop up on hundreds of games over the years and never bother to learn who they were, well they're now part of Epic as they just bought them.

They make video codecs designed for games.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

https://twitter.com/NESbot_feed/status/1347640333119737859?s=19

Even though they are basically a bland Nintendo shill channel I'm sure it should have paid better than a couple of bucks an hour. The sad part is the thing is still running.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

If S.T.A.L.K.E.R 2 doesn't crash before loading the introductory cutscene it's not a true sequel as far as I'm concerned.

So EA are resurrecting the Lucasfilm Games brand for some reason.... It'll be attached to all Star Wars games going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,845 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    So EA are resurrecting the Lucasfilm Games brand for some reason.... It'll be attached to all Star Wars games going forward.

Looks like it is Disney not EA, although most of the games are EA games (due to the licensing) there are some bits at the end like Fortnite that aren't.

Prob want a single entity to handle all the game licensing going forward. I don't think Disney have any interest in getting back into making games.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,355 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Lets hope they resurrect Star Wars: 1313

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I also imagine reviving the name is easy nostalgia brownie points; Disney has been quite deliberate of late, stoking or building more Fan Service after a fairly rocky start to their ownership of Star Wars. I wonder if perhaps there'll be some remasters coming down the tracks: who owns all those old legacy SW games from LucasArts: EA or Disney?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

pixelburp wrote: »
    I also imagine reviving the name is easy nostalgia brownie points; Disney has been quite deliberate of late, stoking or building more Fan Service after a fairly rocky start to their ownership of Star Wars. I wonder if perhaps there'll be some remasters coming down the tracks: who owns all those old legacy SW games from LucasArts: EA or Disney?
    Depends what you mean by "owns" I guess. They'll have been published under a licencing agreement between the two companies what will have been renewed over the years and one which will now be managed by the Lucasfilm Games arm of Disney.

As for the announcement, this isn't actually new and popped up back in 2019 when they started hiring for a number of roles which should give you a better idea of what their purpose is.

gizmo wrote: »
    Depends what you mean by "owns" I guess. They'll have been published under a licencing agreement between the two companies what will have been renewed over the years and one which will now be managed by the Lucasfilm Games arm of Disney.

As for the announcement, this isn't actually new and popped up back in 2019 when they started hiring for a number of roles which should give you a better idea of what their purpose is.

Sidebar, but wow; I gotta respect Gamasutra for persisting with the same design that clearly originated in the early to mid-2000s. The site kinda works on smart-phones, but only just lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,606 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order receiving a next gen patch update to boost performance on PS5/XSX

• Advertisement

Lucasfilm have properties other than Star Wars after all...

https://twitter.com/bethesda/status/1349023307228704770

Bejaypers!

So ... Uncharted, then. Assuming it'll be of that genre mind you; fingers crossed they work in the actual archaeology of the character into the game design...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,811 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I just wish Bethesda/Xbox would come out and say if their games will be exclusive or not. An Indiana Jones game could be fun if it doesn't go tomb raider or Uncharted route.

I mean I have incredibly fond memories of The Infernal Machine from back in the greatest year for video games releases ever 1999 and that was basically Tomb Raider with the amount of combat ramped up a little bit.

I'd be pretty surprised if this new entry differs wildly from this Uncharted formula but as someone said about the newer Tomb Raider entries recently, it'd be nice if the character actually gave a **** about preserving the archaeological ruins they'll hopefully be exploring.

I mean I have incredibly fond memories of The Infernal Machine from back in the greatest year for video games releases ever 1999 and that was basically Tomb Raider with the amount of combat ramped up a little bit.

I'd be pretty surprised if this new entry differs wildly from this Uncharted formula but as someone said about the newer Tomb Raider entries recently, it'd be nice if the character actually gave a **** about preserving the archaeological ruins they'll hopefully be exploring.

Why? Not like Indy from the movies ever did :pac:

I'm just going to automatically assume this will be a low-effort Tomb Raider / Uncharted knock off - even if Machine Games have a good pedigree - so my expectations will be surpassed if this ends up being something a little more inventive or interesting. 'tis the only way to avoid the disease of hype

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The only games that have managed to emulate Indiana Jones have been the La Mulana games and I very much doubt a Triple A studio will make anything like those games. It will be an uncharted knock off.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Why? Not like Indy from the movies ever did :pac:

I'm just going to automatically assume this will be a low-effort Tomb Raider / Uncharted knock off - even if Machine Games have a good pedigree - so my expectations will be surpassed if this ends up being something a little more inventive or interesting. 'tis the only way to avoid the disease of hype
    Au contraire :pac:

giphy.gif

As for MachineGames working on it, that's interesting since they've also announced they're working on Wolfenstein III so fingers crossed they're still doing the work in-house and have just scaled up over the last couple of years in order to work on both simultaneously.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭recyclops

please dont be an uncharted knock off, jaysus uncharted was unoriginal as it came, how its elevated so much is beyond me ( outside of new god of war the same could be said for majority of PS exclusives )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

As for MachineGames working on it, that's interesting since they've also announced they're working on Wolfenstein III so fingers crossed they're still doing the work in-house and have just scaled up over the last couple of years in order to work on both simultaneously.

Seems to be happening a lot for devs studios MS picked up in the Bethesda buyout. Onsidian are meant to working on 6 games, which includes continued support for The Outer Worlds, Grounded and of the rest we only know of Avowed (I think a 4th game was mentioned recently but cant remember what it was)

Advertisement