Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game News 2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,953 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Hmmmm, obviously not much games news.

Surely, something game related will be announced at CES.

Goes to check ...

Samsung 3DS

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PixelPlayer

He did put on a Brooklyn accent which is associated with Italian American. Just not over the top Mama Mia itsa Spaghetti stuff.

Forgive me if I have this wrong, I only watched the movie once and will never watch it again so my memory is vague. But didn't they adress the accent in the movie? He put on the Mario accent for an advert he did for his plumbing business. Didn't they talk about it being over the top or something? So there you have an explanation in the movie itself. But, hey I'm probably wrong again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Having finally watched the film recently, the casting in general was atrocious - the worst kind of 'big name' stunt voice casting, over actually casting people who might be good for the job. I wouldn't expect much more from Illumination, tbh. The leads are all just being themselves, with not much creativity put into bringing the characters to life. Jack Black at least gives his performance some oomph, even if I think it's pretty uninspired casting.

Even within 'stunt casting' though, there's plenty of room for actors to go beyond their schtick rather than the Illumination model. I think everyone should be watching Boy and the Heron subbed rather than dubbed, but it's really interesting to see Robert Pattinson seemed to have put in the work to make his performance something inspired by the OG Japanese one rather than just doing his own, normal voice. He's pretty much unrecognisable as a result, but the dub is more authentic to the source material.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Where did I advocate for Chris Pratt putting in a bad Italian accent?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

**** sake folks, it's a **** movie, no one cares, please move on to the game news now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Hold on there a second. What about Sean Connery in Highlander as a Spaniard whose technically an Egyptian.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm enjoying it more than AI nonsense and people losing their jobs.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

We had moved on? Then you mention it again lol. Ok let's talk about how awful AAA games are and everyone's losing their jobs 😂😭

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Sparkster is back. Rocket Knight Adventures, aka the second greatest megadrive game of all time*, is getting a rerelease:

*Source: retr0gamer's impeccable taste in quality videogames.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

And a neat bonus for the physical editions too, they licenced the short Rocket Knight Adventures comic that ran in the UK Sonic the Comic publication.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Just to briefly loop back to the recent Insomniac leak, there's an interesting section in this week's episode of Triple Click where Jason Schreier weighs in on the ethics of reporting on it. His view is - correctly, IMO - that it would be an "unserious" (his word) stance for a newsroom to ignore info that is clearly out in the public domain, regardless of the source. Obviously, there's a newsworthiness consideration to be taken on board with any information, but he doesn't reckon that journalists should ignore the newsworthy info in it - regardless of obvious sympathies with the developers impacted. As both he and Maddy Myers noted, the debate probably would be quite different if it happened with a studio less well integrated with English-speaking games media.

An interesting perspective IMO - the above is paraphrased, but it's around 35 mins into the podcast for the full discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,845 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I don't think anyone expects them to ignore it. But I think there is a way to report on the leak, and even what was leaked, without going down the route of showing leaked footage or giving away unreleased secrets that hurt insomniac further.

In fact it's very easy to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,606 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I kind of think the Insomniac leak was a bit of a different kettle of fish though because if I remember correctly it wasn't just info on games etc that was stolen, but a lot of significant employee personal details were also hacked and stolen as part of the leak.

And so reporting on the info which was leaked could make others go and find the full release of info, and then people could get access to staff data. While obviously most people would neither care nor really know what to do with private staff information, I think there's definitely a case to be made that over-publicising the leak is troublesome for Insomniac staff beyond the usual "work-in-progress footage of what we've been working on has leaked".

Obviously, the GTA6 leaks from over a year ago, everyone was pretty much all over that, but in this instance because it came from hacking for ransom and included personal staff information... I have to say I respect the media companies who just elected not to report on it. Sure, the footage, roadmaps etc are all out there, but for these circumstances maybe it's best not to shine a light on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,811 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Aw yes!! Grounded 2, documentary about the making of The Last of Us 2 coming soon, trailer below. Grounded 1 was excellent and essential viewing for TLOU fans. Just hearing devs talk about crunch is refreshing for a studio to put out there, between that, covid, leaks and the controversy from the game, i cannot wait for the full doc.

And in new Take 2 scumbaggery.

In retaliation Remedy should tell Take 2 to stick the remakes of Max Payne 1&2 Remedy are making for them up their ass.

**** mental behaviour! Oh fans are waiting to throw money at us for the max Payne remakes... who's making that for us again??? Hey that R looks like our R..... Not on my watch!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Didn't read that but are the controls to be re-jigged? The very original Tomb Raider is a game I remember playing recently enough such that it was distinctly ... uhm, "of its time?"

I played through TR1 and 2 and a bit of 3 relatively recently. They are games built around their mechanics and if you change them then the game basically won't work.

The controls are of their time and feel clunky initially but once you get used to them they make perfect sense and it's a lot of fun to meticulously work your way through an environmental puzzle. TR1 in particular is an excellent example of wonderful level design. They're basically prince of Persia in 3D and it works surprisingly well.

It's unfortunate that this type of gameplay is seen as too old school because as a result we won't see anything like it. Everything else from the new tomb raider a to uncharted just feels so automated whereas these games fee like it's you versus the environment. With movement being so rigid you know exactly what Lara's capabilities are and if you mess up it's basically your fault and not the controls.

Now the combat on the other hand is kind of rubbish and simplistic. I can't see how that could change without fundamentally changing the game either unfortunately. TR1 recognises that it's a bit **** and the focus is on environmental puzzles but there's a definite fall off in the quality of the games as more emphasis is placed on combat and enemies get projectiles and hit scan weapons.

I was honestly surprised how well the games held up, I started TR1 out of curiosity and enjoyed it so much I inhaled the game and moved on to the sequel. I used to say that Mario 64 and it's I'll made TR obsolete but now I feel TR is a totally different type of game that was kind of at the peak of where developers could take it which is why it died off. It just was never going to top TR1.

• Advertisement

If you think about it, it could well be because Remedy are remaking Max Payne that the logo has become an issue.

Imagine the loading screen. An R* game made by R.

Might be a tough case for Take 2. You cant copyright or trademark a letter or a common word. Think the logos are pretty distinct as well. They could go with the "we have infinite money" approach.

Yupp, you can choose between tank and modern controls.

"For our modern controller settings, we take inspiration from the Legend, Anniversary, and Underworld era of Tomb Raider. These changes are felt mostly in the way Lara moves – the right stick has full camera control and Lara moves directionally based on camera position.

Just like our approach to the graphical presentation, the original tank-style controls are still available to players via a menu toggle."

That might not be too bad considering Lara is constantly in front of the camera, the game camera means it's closer to Resi 4 than say Resi 1. I can see it being an issue with the cinematic camera transitions if not programmed correctly like in some PS2 survival horror games.

It’ll be interesting to see how easy / hard the games are with modern controls. Feels like a lot of the exacting platforming in those games was - for better or worse - built around tank controls. Wonder if they’ve compensated for that as presumably it would be easier to position jumps and runs when you don’t have to worry about tank turning and positioning.

Not content with embarrassing themselves with failed NFTs, Square Enix jumps right onto the **** generative art bandwagon:

Here's their prompt. Adult Female character in the style of Akira Toriyama but s**t.

I'd say there isn't too much of a difference. I'd say that tank controls is just forward moves forward while the modern controls forward moves in relation to the camera. Honestly think modern might be a bit messy. It's a game though that you line up by walking to an edge which auto aligns you so of they get modern right it's not going to massively affect gameplay.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Looks like one of my favourite devs, Piranha Bytes, might fall foul of the whole Embracer sh!t show. Probably not that popular a developer here but I have enjoyed all of their games over the years and replay the Gothic trilogy annually. Seemed to have rediscovered their mojo with Elex only to mess it up with the sequel but consistently create interesting open worlds that are great fun to explore. Hadn't actually realised they were under the Embracer umbrella until I saw this news. It's possible all is well and this is just a build up to the announcement of Elex 3 but considering recent events it's hard to be optimistic. Anyway I would be sorry to see them go.

• Advertisement

Advertisement