Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game News 2.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I see TenCent have acquired majority control of Klei Entertainment (Mark or the Ninja, Invisible inc.). The former truly is a behemoth at this stage, hopefully if nothing else Klei can retain some degree of autonomy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

pixelburp wrote: »
    I see TenCent have acquired majority control of Klei Entertainment (Mark or the Ninja, Invisible inc.). The former truly is a behemoth at this stage, hopefully if nothing else Klei can retain some degree of autonomy.

Yeah, I saw that. I'm a big fan of their work, so hopefully Jamie Cheng (Klei's founder) is right when he says;
    As part of this agreement, Klei retains full autonomy of creative and operations across all aspects of the studio, including projects, talent, and more, There are some boring accounting changes that we will need to adjust to. Other than that, I will continue running the studio as before, with no changes to staffing, projects or other operations.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Sucks for me as VV are a great studio and i haven't cared about a Blizzard game since rock and roll reaching in 1993.

Most smaller companies seem to be getting swallowed up by larger ones now. Amazon, Google, Sony and Microsoft are all looking at studios large and small as are Tencent.

Apparently they are looking at buying a bigger fish soon.

https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/1352281993493544963?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

How about ActiBlizzard, those guys are used to kowtowing to Xinnie the Pooh anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Rumour that China is going to nationalise alibaba and ant, as part of their digital yuan stuff.

Tencent could be next, also zero chance tencent won't interfere with their new purchases even if that doesn't happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

• Registered Users Posts: 15,355 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

TBF if its not Bioware i'd be ok with that....

Vicxas wrote: »
    TBF if its not Bioware i'd be ok with that....

Yea same, they might as well be a completely different studio to the one that made the original.

Seen as how this is gonna be a reboot anyway I see no harm in letting someone else have a crack at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Larian or Obsidian, please.

Falthyron wrote: »
    Larian or Obsidian, please.

Obsidian are making 4 or 5 other games at the minute so it almost certainly won't be them. Apparently its a lesser known studio that is working on it.

• Advertisement

Markitron wrote: »
    Obsidian are making 4 or 5 other games at the minute so it almost certainly won't be them. Apparently its a lesser known studio that is working on it.

Wonder if its Archetype Entertainment which was recently founded by ex Bioware staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,355 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

ERG89 wrote: »
    Wonder if its Archetype Entertainment which was recently founded by ex Bioware staff.

That would be a real kick in the teeth for Bioware.

Vicxas wrote: »
    That would be a real kick in the teeth for Bioware.

Fair to say they probably need a good kick in the teeth atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Kevin Hart to play Roland in Borderlands movie

https://twitter.com/Borderlands/status/1354130443759620096?s=19

I like Kevin Hart but I don't see that at all.

Is anyone asking for a Borderlands movie??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Just to note, Cate Blanchett is playing Lilith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Kevin Hart to play Roland in Borderlands movie

https://twitter.com/Borderlands/status/1354130443759620096?s=19

Calling it now Dwayne Johnson to play Brick.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Varik wrote: »
    I like Kevin Hart but I don't see that at all.

It smells of pretty uninspired casting; a comedy movie needs a black guy so of course they go for the most famous / obvious black Hollywood comic ATM. Not sure who I would have gone for myself but not Hart either. A good character actor with comedic timing at a start, not this generation's Chris Tucker lol. Mind you, I'd call Hart too shrill & annoying but given Borderlands' humour is already pretty grating, maybe it's a perfect match

Borderlands doesn't really do much with the player characters in their own games you only really lean anything about them through collectables and the sequels.

But the character he's playing is already black and wasn't really comic at all, he was more about rousing speeches than jokes. There's a bunch of black action stars I'd have though of before Kevin hart, if he was still around I'd have said Chadwick Boseman would have been the studio pick first preference. There's probably a few dozen click bait articles written since this movie was first mentions with idris elba's name on most of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Parsnips

ERG89 wrote: »
    Is anyone asking for a Borderlands movie??

Snore
    Zzzzzzzzzz

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

It smells of pretty uninspired casting; a comedy movie needs a black guy so of course they go for the most famous / obvious black Hollywood comic ATM. Not sure who I would have gone for myself but not Hart either. A good character actor with comedic timing at a start, not this generation's Chris Tucker lol. Mind you, I'd call Hart too shrill & annoying but given Borderlands' humour is already pretty grating, maybe it's a perfect match

Missed opportunity :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I don't see how the game would translate into a movie at all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Take away the gunplay from borderlands and all you've got is regurgitated memes and try hard zaniness.

I don't see it being good.

Jensenineveraskedforthis.png

• Registered Users Posts: 23,161 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Who would play Handsome Jack?

:confused: Roland is a black guy, the character they are casting for is a black guy therefore it makes sense to cast a black actor. Why would a comedy "need" a black guy? As for the casting itself...it's just wrong. Roland is supposed to be a buff, stoic, straight guy type. He's also tall. Kevin Hart is none of those things lol

You misread. Kevin Hart is Hollywood's most famous (profitable) black comedic-actor ATM, so of course he gets cast in a comedy that has a black member of its cast. That's the bit that just strikes as lazy, especially as Roland wasn't really a joker in the cast. Unless Hart is going to play it straight, in which case why bother hiring him at all except because "black guy in a comedy" means Hart's agent gets a call.

Anyway, I forgot this is being directed by Eli Roth so all the good casting in the world Can't paper over that particular crack.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Take away the gunplay from borderlands and all you've got is regurgitated memes and try hard zaniness.

I don't see it being good.

Jensenineveraskedforthis.png

Hopefully the writers of the movie have better ideas than 'lets take pickle Rick and put him in the game for no reason whatsoever other than R&M fans might laugh at it'.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,811 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

All this talk of films about games is great timing with the latest Honest Trailers. Maaaaan this is so good (as in bad.... very very bad). I remember watching this as a kid and being so confused how they could get something so wrong.

Advertisement