Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game News 2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭McFly85

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    All this talk of films about games is great timing with the latest Honest Trailers. Maaaaan this is so good (as in bad.... very very bad). I remember watching this as a kid and being so confused how they could get something so wrong.

I was OBSESSED with SF2 growing up. The arcade in the bowler had at least 3 machines and they were always in use-I shudder to think about how many 20ps I used in them.

So I went to the cinema to see this on the opening weekend, and couldn’t believe how terrible it was. It was some guys dressed like street fighter characters in a completely different film! Since then though I have learned to appreciate it for the comedy masterpiece it was clearly meant to be :D

And in fairness, it wasn’t the worst street fighter disappointment in my young life, that award goes to the god awful US Gold Amiga port I got for Christmas. I wouldn’t even consider it playable.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Raul Julia's performance was so unfairly snubbed at the Oscars!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Azza wrote: »
    Raul Julia's performance was so unfairly snubbed at the Oscars!

Wasn't that his last role? What a terrible way to go out...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Wasn't that his last role? What a terrible way to go out...

He did it because his kids begged him to do it. And it looks like he was having the time of his life hamming it up and leaving teeth marks all over the set while slowly dying. He is the best thing about the movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I'd hate to say it but probably Ryan Reynolds.

Hugh Jackman gets my vote

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Street Fighter movie is my guilty pleasure. I know it's awful, but its definitely my favourite bad movie

Funnily enough, the Street Fighter movie was just added to Amazon Prime today so you can relive its awfulness.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,630 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Surprised a grand theft auto movie was never made

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

The fact that it's one of JCVD's worst films speaks volumes.

Dr. Bre wrote: »

Wouldn't be worth the twitterstorm

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,282 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Grand theft auto like every rockstar game is just a collection of cool scenes and characters directly lifted from other films. It would be more obvious on the big screen.

And if they change that then it's not really grand theft auto anymore.

The scripted parts of GTA are pretty woeful. I couldn't think of anything worse than watching a movie of that try hard scutter.

Is Borderlands meant to be funny because I always found it painful shíte.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Superficially, it's a cinematic game of story and plot, but functionally the game's lasting appeal comes down to the player's own stories of chaos and fcuking around in a sandbox. Like any other game adaptation, you can't translate that interactivity into a passive, movie experience. And as Retro says, so much of GTA is built off cribbing from famous movies, a film version would look twice as derivative.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The scripted parts of GTA are pretty woeful. I couldn't think of anything worse than watching a movie of that try hard scutter.

Is Borderlands meant to be funny because I always found it painful shíte.

I won't deny, Borderlands 2 manic, anarchic quality made me laugh. It wore itself out pretty quickly as it had no sense of pacing to take it's foot off the pedal marked "do you get memes?!?" once in a while... but for that short period I enjoyed it's style. Definitely a marmite game when it comes to its humour, and that's just for a single player lol :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

There is a GTA movie, starring Ron Howard as Tommy Vercetti ;)

Apparently Roger Corman's / Take Two legal battle over the Grand Theft Auto title is one the reasons why we haven't seen a movie based on the games.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,605 ✭✭✭✭Penn

pixelburp wrote: »
    I won't deny, Borderlands 2 manic, anarchic quality made me laugh. It wore itself out pretty quickly as it had no sense of pacing to take it's foot off the pedal marked "do you get memes?!?" once in a while... but for that short period I enjoyed it's style. Definitely a marmite game when it comes to its humour, and that's just for a single player lol :D

Borderlands 2 did make me laugh a good bit, but it was more a case of throwing enough sh*t at the wall hoping some sticks. In between all the memes and poop jokes, you got some brilliant lines from Handsome Jack, Torgue and Tiny Tina that could just take you by surprise. Then just pure stupid stuff like Face McShooty that was just dumb but raised a chuckle. Tales from the Borderlands had a good few laughs in it too.

However they drove it right into the ground in later games and abandoned the small bits of good writing and characters for more poop jokes and memes.

Either way, I don't see any of it translating well into a movie. Cate Blanchett as Lilith I thought was a bad fit but was willing to give her a try because she's Cate Blanchett. Kevin Hart as Roland? Nah...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Funnily enough, the Street Fighter movie was just added to Amazon Prime today so you can relive its awfulness.

Great spot. Evening viewing sorted :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

It's available on demand if you have Sky Cinema as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,036 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

And Ming-Na Wen hasn't aged a day since that Street Fighter film.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    And Ming-Na Wen hasn't aged a day since that Street Fighter film.

OMG, right? Every time she appeared in Agents of SHIELD or The Mandalorian, I've had to remind myself that woman is somehow 57 years old. It doesn't look surgically aided.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,161 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Lara Croft getting a Netflix animated series...

https://twitter.com/NXOnNetflix/status/1354461071067627520

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I see Netflix has thrown a list of popular video game franchises into a random number generator again and come up with something to adapt. Truly embracing the spirit of #content.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,630 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

The Witcher , tomb raider , last of us . What next from Netflix ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

TLoU is HBO and The Witcher is based on the books, not the games.

In terms of game based properties they also have Castlevania, Resident Evil, Ni No Kuni and Dragon's Dogma. It is rumoured they're doing something with Devil May Cry as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,161 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Castlevania and The Witcher are very good, in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,418 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Skerries wrote: »

It’s locked to 30 FPS on the series x too. Disappointing but at least there’s a good reason why.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

I stand by the idea of that an episodic format Hitman TV shoe would do well. If written correctly of course. Each episode a new hit in a new location trying to piece things together to track down Agent 47. Throughout the show he's the invisible enemy. The last scene of the last episode of the first season being the first time we see his bald, barcoded noggin.

Glico Man wrote: »
    I stand by the idea of that an episodic format Hitman TV shoe would do well. If written correctly of course. Each episode a new hit in a new location trying to piece things together to track down Agent 47. Throughout the show he's the invisible enemy. The last scene of the last episode of the first season being the first time we see his bald, barcoded noggin.

And boom!.... it's Kevin Hart.

• Advertisement
Advertisement