Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game News 2.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,412 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah TBH it's hard to know how it plays until it actually happens.

The question ultimately is how many people flock to Game Pass if Call of Duty is there on release day in October / November? I'm not sure you move the needle a whole lot on Xbox given the service seems to be reaching saturation there already. PC… maybe you boost PC Game Pass to some extent (PC is apparently the biggest CoD platform after mobile), though I'm not sure many PC gamers are on board with subscriptions the way console players are. Many people will just outright buy the game anyway - they won't have an option on PS4/5. The game is multi-platform so nobody is going to be rushing out to buy a new console for it. If you're a CoD only type of player (which there are seemingly many of), then buying the game outright is much better value than a monthly subscription. The audience they want is the one who thinks Game Pass is suddenly a much better deal with CoD included - the question is how big is that audience?

As you say, ultimately it boils down to how much the needle is going to move - and that we'll only discover if the game actually launches on Game Pass :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

It kind of feels like that many of the corporate managers are viewing consumers of games as they were 20/30 years ago, where having quantity was arguably much more important. I had Super Mario All Stars for my SNES when I got it first and that was my ONLY game for over a year, then I inherited Street Fighter 2 off a cousin. But it was another year after that before I was able to save up to buy a game I wanted. PSX/PS2 era for me was when you felt you could build up a bit of a collection as there was a thriving second hand scene, and games were starting to release for cheaper price points. But in the era of gamepass and ps+ where you have netflix style catalogs, people are getting to the point where they are overwhelmed.

I've had PS+ since day 1, and it's the only service I feel I got value for money from, but even then that was only true up to the tier split. I'm on premium tier now but realistically, I've lost money on that, I've only played two retro games and I could have bought them for the difference a few times over. I had Gamepass and I enjoyed that too, but again, I only played about 3/4 games in the 2 years I had it and never renewed it. Nintendo is my worst offender where I've subscribed to the SNES/NES libraries, but in total, I'd say I've maybe played 2 or 3 hours of it, and I've subscribed for 2 years.

I think the massive libraries now are not helping as much as companies think, and if anything, as I've gotten older, I've become very aware of the crappy conditions for folks in the industry and I'm more willing to endorse or support places where people seem to be more fairly treated. This will certainly shake my confidence in Microsoft at least, but on the other hand, Nintendo have been my surprise hit this generation, I've easily 20+ physical switch games and each got plenty of playtime. And I always think nintendo games are expensive but the quality and fun is always there!

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PixelPlayer

They should just shut down Xbox and split back into the studios they aquired.

The audience they want is the one who thinks Game Pass is suddenly a much better deal with CoD included - the question is how big is that audience?

I am that audience, an already existing subscriber who no longer sees any value in keeping the sub post my 3 year stack deal expiring. Someone who plays COD (on average every couple of years) who would be happy to keep the sub if it means I get COD at no additional cost. I'd spend €60 on COD, might as well spend that on GP and get COD thrown in.

The thing is its too good a deal to be true and now that the "executives" are overruling Phil Spencer it's very hard to see how any kind of too good to be true deal can come of the Activision acquisition.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,811 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I've spent a few hours now on Animal Well and it's **** brilliant. I was in a real lul with games lately bouncing from one to the next and not able to get stuck into 1 properly until this, can't play anything else until I've beaten it. Jason interviewed the SOLE developer of the game, seriously, play this if ye can.

• Advertisement

And back to the **** news, EA CEO wants to put ads in games.... i wonder can you then pay an extra fee on top of the 70 euro to get rid of the ads? Wait until the first game they force this on bombs in reviews and they shut down the studio.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,039 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Then it'll be in single player games where you have to always be online so it can connect to the ad servers which will crash making the game unplayable.

If they want to do it, do it in games that make sense like advertising boards in sports games.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭Penn

What's the bets that even with ssd's, there'll start to be a few more loading screens, and sure may as well whack an ad on there while it's "loading" (for the exact length of time it takes for the ad to finish anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,845 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Started it tonight. Was almost at the "wtf is this" point and I found a little secret tunnel. Oh, that's fun. Then figured out a few puzzles and I'm hooked.

Love that it has save locations too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,286 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The same Sony that let their Japan studio talent go and Nintendo/Monolith soft snapped up? Doubt it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭Penn

NetEase apologising after it was revealed there was a clause in the contract streamers etc had to agree to not post negative subjective reviews or comments about Marvel Rivals (their Overwatch Hero-shooter game).

“The Content Creator Program is a small-scale project that aims to aid in the production of incredible content by supporting Creators through giving them more resources,” NetEase said in its statement. “We actively encourage Creators to share their honest thoughts, suggestions, and criticisms as they play. All feedback, positive and negative, ultimately helps us craft the best experience for ourselves and the players.

“We sincerely apologize for the confusion, suspicion, and frustration caused by these excessively restrictive terms and thank you for sharing with us. We cherish and appreciate every suggestion given by our players and always respect your feedback. We are currently working with Creators who have expressed these concerns and are revising the current version to be less restrictive and more Creator-friendly. Thank you for bearing with us while we make these adjustments.

“We hope you are enjoying the game so far and we are always open to hearing your sincere thoughts and ideas on how we can improve the game.”

Apologise for the confusion? Sh*t like that doesn't end up in contracts by accident.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,286 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Flat out illegal **** ends up in eula's and contracts all the time. Since a contract can't over right your rights they can put any old **** in there even if it's not enforceable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,977 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Square Enix "aggressively pursuing" new multiplatform strategy after reports FF7 Rebirth underperformed on PlayStation

• Registered Users Posts: 36 ChicoCannon

The problem with that idea is they have already let many of those people go so the developers, execs etc… are already elsewhere.

Thing is, this isn't a new thing, ok most companies won't go so far as to tell you, you cant comment negatively but most early play tests will have some form of NDA included. Mainly as the game is not considered in release form, even though they are quite often gold versions of the code, but equally a lot are Alphas.

You would have assumed that the industry would have learnt from the whole Gamespot/Kane & Lynch mess(By the way if you ever actually played the game 6/10 was an incredibly generous score).

They need honest feedback, too many companies are not listening to their customer base these days. EA and Activision probably the two worst offenders at the moment. If anything showing complete disregard for the people who purchase and play their gamers. Gaming is at an all time low in terms of being fun right now, quality assurance is worse than the American Tesla factories and something needs to change dramatically and Covid simply isn't an excuse anymore.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,412 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Fun in *AAA* gaming is at an all-time low at the moment, because the model is imploding due to high costs / resource requirements and (indefensible) corporate greed. If you only look at that, things are dire - captured by the devastating job losses and studio closures.

But as an art form it has never been in a better place, thanks to an extraordinary moment in independent and smaller games. I’d say this is the single best month for new video games I can remember, with banger after banger arriving at the moment (and more to come, it would seem). It is both a time for deep pessimism at state of the “industry” - largely down to the major western publishers - and a time to celebrate the creativity and talent of many developers (several of whom have had blockbuster success).

I wouldnt hold all the disdain for just western developers. Certain more eastern studios have been pushing the same rubbish out for years and years as well, not sure if they do it purely for greed or pure laziness but Capcom and Konami among others have plenty to apologize for too.

Assassin's Creed Shadows (formerly Red) will have its premiere on May 15

Ffs. Another company pumping out their best games in years and badly managing them and now the people that made those games are for the chop.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Square Enix has always been so fecking weird with their sales expectations though, the first of the new Tomb Raiders had the same ridiculous required sales numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,969 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Hideaki Nishino and Hermen Hulst taming over as co-CEOs of PlayStation. Feedback seems positive from what I've read.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,163 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

That girl should be studying/relaxing to chill lofi hip hop beats, not playing Fortnite.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Speaking of Tomb Raider, I'm going through the South Pacific Island stages in TR3 and the islander cannibals are in very poor taste. I'd have added these days but I hope it wasn't that acceptable in 1998.

Tbe Haitian gang leader "Barbecue" is not doing the stereotype much favours 😄

You finding it's worth the price? Trilogy is down to 22 euro on psn and as much as i want to play the first 2 games again, not sure if nostalgia would wear off fairly quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,969 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

With recent Amazon success, one can hope its a good one. But they're collabing with Crystal Dynamics and didn't order a Legacy of Kain series?! That world is ripe for a series.

Yeah I think it is worth the price. I was surprised when I played the first game a couple of months ago as it really holds up, it's really an all time great. TR2 isn't as good but still fun enough. TR3 is just mean but I'm still playing it even if it feels really rushed.

The remaster is fantastic. They can't do much about the level geometry but the new texture and model work is fantastic. I'd stick with classic controls, modern controls just don't feel good at all.

I bought it just to play TR3 but if you want it for TR1 and 2 you'll get your money's worth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,877 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Here's an early first look at DBD spin-off, Project T.

Advertisement