Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game News 2.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,381 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I’m sure another Resident Evil Remake would be fine given the devs they have working on the series, but it also feels like such a pointless exercise and waste of resources given there’s a perfectly good version available. Other games need the TLC much more than it does, not to mention more resources for non-remakes. Does Resi even gain much from modernising it again? Frankly I thought Resi 4 - while a perfectly competent remake - already reached the point of diminishing returns as it felt a fairly conservative upgrade on the whole. With Resi 1, if you start stripping out some of the retro artefacts I think you start losing what made it the game it is - especially since it’s far less action orientated than its sequels.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,211 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Silent Hill news incoming. Have bloober team finally made a game that doesn't suck?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,014 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Sure isn't Resi Evil 0 on the same engine as REmake? And both got the HD release at the same time. So if they feel the need to remake 0, no reason not to remake 1. Code Veronica makes sense since it's in the same engine as 2 and 3.

I actually only finished the gamecube version recently and zero is next. These are first time playthroughs since REmake was the only one I played before.

So by the time I get caught up, they'll all have been remade to play again. 😃

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,211 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

To be pedantic Code Veronica is in its own engine and was on Dreamcast. It was the first fully 3D mainline Resi game. It did get a remaster in the MT framework engine but that's been trapped on PS360 and no PC release.

Resi zero might be on the same engine as Resi REmake but it's also not a good game which is why I think it could do with a remake whereas REmake I wouldn't change anything about, it's the perfect remake of an old game.

Code Veronica as well is pretty weak as a game so again could benefit from a remake.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Code Veronica is still available on Xbox as it is a back compatible game. Still looks bad and is hard as nails in comparison to the other tank control games. It also probably features the worst weapon in a RE game in the bow gun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭recyclops

Did anyone else get a notification on their phone from Xbox that black ops was going straight to gamepass on day one but when clicked it went nowhere, some poor intern probably pressed the wrong button 🤣

EDIT it appears it wasnt just me so https://www.videogamer.com/news/black-ops-6-is-coming-to-xbox-game-pass-day-one-according-to-notification/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Just got a push notification from the Xbox Game Pass app confirming CoD: BlOps 6 will be on the service day 1. The notification linked to a newswire page that isn't live yet.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2024/05/28/play-call-of-duty-black-ops-6-day-one-game-pass/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,381 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Ah Microsoft: even leaking their own push notifications.

Bowgun isn't that bad. It does the same damage nearly as the shotgun. Worst thing about it is the lack of feedback you get compared to a shotty blast.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PixelPlayer

Forza Motorsport will save xbox

Starfield will save xbox

HeHellblade 2 will save xbox

Black Ops 6 will save xbox (thanks to PlayStation sales)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭MikeRyan87

How many additional subs do they need for this to work I wonder.

5+ million surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭recyclops

You'd imagine it's a play to get kids locked into digital stores with their mates.

It's why most people can't switch from one console to the other

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Alleged real game Star Citizen hits 700 million in funding; the autopsy on this will surely fill a novel's worth of stories.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I was thinking it must be almost 10 years since it started funding - nope, it’s been 12. Shambles of a project. I wonder how much technology has changed for them in that time, didn’t they end up dumping CryEngine and went with Lumberyard or something like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Lumberyard??? Honestly that's the first time I've heard of any big name game use that engine

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,318 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Not defending the scam or anything, but LumberYard is just an AWS version of CryEngine, so the leap is minuscule really.

It's just Amazon's version of cryengine. There's a good few games but it was meant to power all of Amazon's games when they had ambitions of getting into the games business.

It's been heavily modded and say what you will but there's some innovation they are pushing. The move to 64-bit floating point precision is a big one for open world games.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,318 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Good news for PSVR2 owners, Sony are certifying a PC adapter.

They seem to be pretty desperate to shift that thing and just can't be bothered to support it.

Honestly it's a good move and should be able to shift some inventory which is probably costing them a fortune.

Nine sols, a new game from the Devotion developer red candle is out now on steam:

Metroidvania with a sekiro style combo system. Meant to be excellent and I kind of want to support these guys because of the **** they had to put up with being a Taiwanese company and a concerted effort by the Chinese to erase Devotion from sale.

• Advertisement

Backed it ages ago as I was so fond of Devotion - had almost forgotten about it until I saw the release date announcement in my inbox a few weeks ago. Quite a departure from the previous work, but having played the demo it's quite a ruthless and unusual take on 2D combat / Metroidvania design. Will get stuck into it over the next little while, once I've finished up Lorelei.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,014 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

And it's on offer now as part of Days of Play. €100 off.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I suppose at least the development studio has been busy all this time, and avoided the worst of the industry layoffs - AFAIK? I don't even think it's a scam, but you'd have to wonder how on earth something like this can keep going, to that level of financial backing, for so long, without someone at the executive tier going WTF Guys?

"State of Play returns with a 30+ minute broadcast this Thursday at 11pm BST / 11:59pm CEST: play.st/3X0cFHu

Tune in live for updates on 14 PS5 and PS VR2 titles, including a look at PlayStation Studios titles arriving later this year."

Hopefully some good stuff in there.

Extended Astrobot announcement followed by a short montage of 13 other games, hopefully.

Please say astrobot is not vr and they are all coming to PC courtesy of nixxies.

In rpg news it looks like it's leaked that the it's not just dragon quest 3 getting the HD 2D treatment but the entire first trilogy and will be announced today. They're all great games although DQ3 is the real standout and most modern feeling of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,781 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Bloodborne remaster

The Last of Us Factions 2 surprise drop

Days Gone 2

LFG!

If Astro Bot is in this I really hope it's Hybrid. Rescue Mission is one of the best platformers ever and the VR was a big part of it.

More likely we get Concord, Until Dawn and GoW Ragnarok PC updates/announcements from First Party.

The VR situation is a bit of a catch-22: PSVR2 has been an obvious flop - to a large extent Sony self-inflicted flop - and thus hard to justify a big lavish exclusive, but it would need a big lavish exclusive (well, much more than one) to move the needle. I think Astrobot is now too 'prestige' to go VR-only for a full standalone sequel especially given the seemingly dire fate of PSVR2, but some kind of VR support alongside the standard game would be nice.

• Advertisement

Totally off topic but I've used Steam for so many years and it's remarkable how its Video Player still sucks to this day. Always have to go off and use YouTube rather than watch any of the embedded videos / trailers.

Advertisement