Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game News 2.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Next week:

Netflix is proud to announce a new series featuring everyone’s favourite video game time-traveller, Blinx! 15 episode CG animated series coming soon.

541727.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Markitron wrote: »
    Why would you want it to? That would break the game, like being able to aim and shoot in RE4.

60871383.jpg

I'm just saying if I were to play Goldeneye nowadays I'd prefer if it had the option to be played with 2 sticks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,594 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'd have played that remaster cos N64 games were just awful to play. Muddy textures and rock bottom frame rates. I'm sure Goldeneye has an earned place in people's memories but that game and console was the first time I looked at Nintendo and backed away.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It had some all time classics but the N64 was kind of a crappy console and technical issues mean a lot of the library are very hard to come back to. Especially compared to the PS1 which you could make a great argument for being the best console of all time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,594 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It had some all time classics but the N64 was kind of a crappy console and technical issues mean a lot of the library are very hard to come back to. Especially compared to the PS1 which you could make a great argument for being the best console of all time.

I had an original era PS1 and I'd say yeah for sure. Best console of all time, possibly tied with the SNES and PS2 perhaps. The N64 was hot garbage and I simply can't watch any video footage of it to this day. Not that the PS1s constantly warping textures doesn't also cause eye strain; nostalgia's a helluva drug.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,843 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Nice to see cross platform, hopefully it comes to more games going forward.

https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/1356241272831438850?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

pixelburp wrote: »
    I had an original era PS1 and I'd say yeah for sure. Best console of all time, possibly tied with the SNES and PS2 perhaps. The N64 was hot garbage and I simply can't watch any video footage of it to this day. Not that the PS1s constantly warping textures doesn't also cause eye strain; nostalgia's a helluva drug.

Nintendo did evolve 3d gaming massively on the N64 though in fairness. Mario 64 and ocarina of time pretty much set the standard for a lot of mechanics and controls that are still staples in games today and they got it right on the first attempt. Outside of their own library of games there wasn't much noteworthy on it though. Goldeneye has not aged well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

I thought Mario kart 64 was decent

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    I thought Mario kart 64 was decent

I like it but it's one of the weakest of the mario kart games. Still prefer it over crash team racing which somehow gone from being considered decent to some form god like classic.

The expansion pak was always one of the oddities that stood out for me. Some games not playing it you didn't have it, others a lower quality experience. Did love Goldeneye though, it's aged poorly but easy to see how it was such an important game.

• Advertisement

I had an original era PS1 and I'd say yeah for sure. Best console of all time, possibly tied with the SNES and PS2 perhaps.

Throw the DS in there as well. That's my all time favourite. And I prefer the nes over the SNES Ina lot ways but it's close.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

I'd probably go for the NES over the PS1 - I think it's easier to go back and play the games from the NES than it is the PS1. Having the ability to play a lot of PS1 games on the Vita really wiped the nostalgia dust from my eyes. A lot of the games look woeful now. Downloading and playing the first Wipeout game was a pretty dispiriting experience.

I'd probably go for the NES over the PS1 - I think it's easier to go back and play the games from the NES than it is the PS1. Having the ability to play a lot of PS1 games on the Vita really wiped the nostalgia dust from my eyes. A lot of the games look woeful now. Downloading and playing the first Wipeout game was a pretty dispiriting experience.

Depends on the games you are playing though. A lot of the popular PS1 games really don't hold up but there's just so weird experimental stuff that's like nothing else on any other system a loads that do really hold up. And then there's the RPGs, it was just a very wildly inventive and crazy time for JRPGs on the system and its arguably never been better or as exciting.

In a way the PS1 and NES are quite similar as I love exploring the libraries and finding lots of exciting oddities. The SNES in comparison to the NES I felt the developers had settled into comfortable genres and tropes and that variety is missing that you get from the NES library (although there's no arguing that the SNES RPGs are waaaaay better).

There is a barrier of entry for the PS1 where you really have to get over the jank in the graphics but it's usually worth it. Recently played King's Field to laugh at how shoddy it was an ended up falling in love with it and playing it until the end.

I honestly couldn't choose between the PS1 and NES. The DS though is my out and out favourite. It's the last console that had the experimental feel that the NES and PS1 had but also has a stellar line up of games. I feel it's criminally ignored because its handheld. I'm just glad indie games exist as that's where the exciting stuff is happening the vast majority of the time.

I'm just glad indie games exist as that's where the exciting stuff is happening the vast majority of the time.

Aye, still coming down from finishing Obra Dinn. It is one of the best games I ever played. I saw someone complaining about the lack of re-playability but that wouldn't bother me at all. Trying to get into Kentucky Route Zero now but it's no Obra Dinn...

Aye, still coming down from finishing Obra Dinn. It is one of the best games I ever played. I saw someone complaining about the lack of re-playability but that wouldn't bother me at all. Trying to get into Kentucky Route Zero now but it's no Obra Dinn...

Yep, I really don't get complaints about game length that people seem to rate games on? I really couldn't care less if the game is a one and done when, like Journey for me, it's a one and done slice of gaming perfection.

Which reminds me, I need to start Obra Dinn once 13 Sentinels is out of the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Yep, I really don't get complaints about game length that people seem to rate games on? I really couldn't care less if the game is a one and done when, like Journey for me, it's a one and done slice of gaming perfection.

Which reminds me, I need to start Obra Dinn once 13 Sentinels is out of the way.

Game length was a serious dick-waiving contest in the last gen but tbh I thought it had died out as an argument/selling point in the last few years. I know Ubisoft games are the standard punching-bag for this, but after RDR2, it seemed like less people were bragging about how long their game was. That game was actively hurt by it's excessive length.

Markitron wrote: »
    Game length was a serious dick-waiving contest in the last gen but tbh I thought it had died out as an argument/selling point in the last few years. I know Ubisoft games are the standard punching-bag for this, but after RDR2, it seemed like less people were bragging about how long their game was. That game was actively hurt by it's excessive length.

Oh I don't mean with developers and publishers. I mean with people talking about games online and how short games are worth their time or money.

I'd completely forgotten Netflix has been tapped to produce a live-action Zelda series, but according to Kotaku - that in turn is quoting an interview with someone from CollegeHumour (themselves supposedly making a StarFox cartoon) - it was canned after the news leaked to the public. The StarFox cartoon was also cancelled, the CH chap claiming Nintendo freaked out and pulled the plug.

If that's true, that's a huge shame. Not necessarily a deep bench of story, but a rich one all the same. Nintendo sure is cagey with their properties in others folks' hands; especially adaptations.

I'd completely forgotten Netflix has been tapped to produce a live-action Zelda series, but according to Kotaku - that in turn is quoting an interview with someone from CollegeHumour (themselves supposedly making a StarFox cartoon) - it was canned after the news leaked to the public. The StarFox cartoon was also cancelled, the CH chap claiming Nintendo freaked out and pulled the plug.

If that's true, that's a huge shame. Not necessarily a deep bench of story, but a rich one all the same. Nintendo sure is cagey with their properties in others folks' hands; especially adaptations.

Those awful cartoons from the late 80s must still haunt them

Those awful cartoons from the late 80s must still haunt them

More than that, I'd say the Super Mario Bros. film is the big albatross sitting somewhere in Nintendo Japan's IP department. That was a production disaster to rival any horror story from Hollywood, and wouldn't be surprised if it coloured every single dalliance with American media production since then.

IIRC there's a CGI Mario film on the way, so maybe that'll bring some Détente. Of course, the story could be complete BS and Netflix are still slowly plugging away - but Kotaku says the original leak was from 2015 so you'd imagine by now we'd have heard something concrete.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Surprised they didn't let them do the Star Fox one, its not like Nintendo have done much with that licence that has any high level of standards lately. A sh!t WiiU game and allowing Ubisoft use it to try(and fail) to sell bland some space shooter.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

The game has leaked online today too. Doubt I can post the link but its on reddit anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

My kids just gone back to watch all the 80's Mario cartoons a second time. I was a bit mystified cos they were sort of cheap and middling when I was young but he says he finds them grand and he wants some Mario TV so they serve a purpose I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,922 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

The Sands of Time remake has been delayed again, to an unspecified "later date".

https://twitter.com/princeofpersia/status/1357735744463278083?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    The Sands of Time remake has been delayed again, to an unspecified "later date".

https://twitter.com/princeofpersia/status/1357735744463278083?s=20

Not surprised by these delays, it looked really rough in that reveal trailer last year. This might be the first ever Ubisoft game where the final build looks better than the reveal trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,058 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I actually thought it was already released! Good they're taking more time, it really was a poor "update". Interesting to see what they come out with next.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Jamie Lee Curtis has joined the Borderlands movie, playing Dr.Tannis.

What the f*ck movie are they making?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,006 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Penn wrote: »
    Jamie Lee Curtis has joined the Borderlands movie, playing Dr.Tannis.

What the f*ck movie are they making?
    Lol , God only knows who they will get for Brick and Mordecai. I'd say Dave Batista could work for Brick

Lol , God only knows who they will get for Brick and Mordecai. I'd say Dave Batista could work for Brick

Clearly, Kevin Hart should just play all the roles.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,058 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Very strange decisions for JLC for Tannis. She's just too old imo. Don't get me wrong, JLC is looking good for her age, and I've no doubt she could do a good Tannis voice, but I don't think she'll suit the role tbh. But yeah, the casting is probably only the tip of the shyteberg that will be this film.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Very strange decisions for JLC for Tannis. She's just too old imo. Don't get me wrong, JLC is looking good for her age, and I've no doubt she could do a good Tannis voice, but I don't think she'll suit the role tbh. But yeah, the casting is probably only the tip of the shyteberg that will be this film.

Like Cate Blanchett; she's a fantastic actor, can be extremely funny and usually takes on interesting roles.

So what are either of them doing in Borderlands?

The whole movie seems so badly cast that I'm actually more interested in it now.

Advertisement