Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game News 2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I mean, how do you make a game similar to Fall Guys without copying it? It does look basically the same, but also looks considerably inferior. I reckon we're about to see a wave of these types of games coming, all trying to be different but will ultimately be the same. You could use the same argument that all racing games are basically copies of each other because they do the same thing. We hear the cries of copies any time CoD does anything remotely BF and vice versa. Infinite Warfare was accused of being a copy of Titanfall, which in itself is basically a copy of any futuristic FPS, just with controllable mechs as a feature.

Fine lines indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

I mean, how do you make a game similar to Fall Guys without copying it? It does look basically the same, but also looks considerably inferior. I reckon we're about to see a wave of these types of games coming, all trying to be different but will ultimately be the same. You could use the same argument that all racing games are basically copies of each other because they do the same thing. We hear the cries of copies any time CoD does anything remotely BF and vice versa. Infinite Warfare was accused of being a copy of Titanfall, which in itself is basically a copy of any futuristic FPS, just with controllable mechs as a feature.

Fine lines indeed.

A bit like the fact that 95% of action-adventure-survival-rpgs are the same medieval fantasy tropes.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,036 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So many of these multiplayer games come out and disappear quickly.
    Did anyone try Worms Rumble?
    I remember 2 games on Switch that I heard nothing about after release. Had to look them up as couldn't remember the names: "Ninjala" and "Morphies Law"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I tried Rumble. It was meh. Well, the 20 minutes I played was meh. Worms is better as turn based, and I dislike most turn based games!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,280 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

ERG89 wrote: »
    I hate video game patents but seeing things this blatant makes you realise why they exist

That wouldn't be protected by a patent though. Just like the Nemesis system. Derivative works are protected by copyright. If it wasn't you wouldn't have platformers because nintendo could patent a jump button.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

ERG89 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/1359246357094146053?s=19

I hate video game patents but seeing things this blatant makes you realise why they exist

I think I get the point you're making, but NetEase are a Chinese company so all the patents in the world won't or can't touch them. It's why China's so brazen & bad when it comes to knock-offs; there's no recourse for offended companies to sue those ripping off designs / ideas / products.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    That wouldn't be protected by a patent though. Just like the Nemesis system. Derivative works are protected by copyright. If it wasn't you wouldn't have platformers because nintendo could patent a jump button.

Patents aren't a copyright and visa versa, with software they both overlap but are still distinct and independent. There's no concept of derivative works with patents it's practically the exact opposite.

Nintendo could never patent jump with mario as there's no inventive step, the obvious step after creating player controlled horizontal movement is adding a vertical element so there's no inventive step.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Another day, yet another TenCent (minority) stake: this time, it's Bohemia Interactive. Yay, the Chinese capitalist free market, I guess?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,280 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's insane how much money Tencent have and how much they are throwing around. I'd hate if tencent start suppressing the voice of videogame developers like we saw with the Blizzard as well as the Detention fiasco.

It's insane how much money Tencent have and how much they are throwing around. I'd hate if tencent start suppressing the voice of videogame developers like we saw with the Blizzard as well as the Detention fiasco.

I'd be more surprised if it doesn't happen TBH. While these are minority stakes, it's all still valuable funds for a given company, easily removed if TenCent doesn't like what the studio's saying or producing.

It's nowhere near on-topic to the thread, but I am curious how Free Market advocates square their beliefs against China's increasingly dominant presence in capitalism's ecosystem. Presumably fine while it doesn't affect them personally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Fee market? It's a company that is so deeply ingrained in the state apparatus that it might as well be the government itself - one that has demonstrated its use of slave labor in manufacturing. China doesn't play by anyone's rules.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'd say it's a certainty with Tencent. Companies are already terrified of saying anything anti-China, so i've no doubt they will forcing any Devs under their umbrella to remove anything pro-Tiawain/anti CCP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Fee market? It's a company that is so deeply ingrained in the state apparatus that it might as well be the government itself - one that has demonstrated its use of slave labor in manufacturing. China doesn't play by anyone's rules.

I don't think he's calling Tencent a free market company, rather that they're using the mechanics of the free market to get their claws into companies.

I don't think he calling Tencent a free market company, rather that they're using the mechanics of the free market to get their claws into companies.

That's precisely what I'm saying, yeah; thought that was clear enough TBH: Tencent are an extension of an oppressive state's apparatus, using the vulnerabilities and flaws of the apparently sacred Free Market to their (Chinese) gain. Seems only a matter of time before a game, employee or somesuch gets in trouble for saying the wrong thing.

PS, Free Hong Kong ;)

But yeah, jumping out the airlock on this before it causes the "keep politics out of Games!!1" tangeant.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

China is basically an authoritarian / illiberal capitalist state at this point. It’s certainly not communist in any ideological or historical sense post economic reforms - their apparent guiding principals have been bent and twisted beyond any kind of recognition. The mega corps like Tencent are every bit as engrained in the global ‘free market’ as their western equivalents, just far more subject to intense State intervention and control. The west has been happy to utilise / exploit Chinese labour and resources for many decades, we’re just now seeing the point where the CCP and their associated firms have wised up and are playing by the rules of free market capitalism like everyone else. And they want their bite of Fortnite, and erm... Arma apparently :pac:

pixelburp wrote: »
    That's precisely what I'm saying, yeah; thought that was clear enough TBH: Tencent are an extension of an oppressive state's apparatus, using the vulnerabilities and flaws of the apparently sacred Free Market to their (Chinese) gain. Seems only a matter of time before a game, employee or somesuch gets in trouble for saying the wrong thing.

PS, Free Hong Kong ;)

But yeah, jumping out the airlock on this before it causes the "keep politics out of Games!!1" tangeant.

Mod Note: Banned for three months for insulting the glorious regime of the almighty Xinnie the Pooh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭piwyudo0fhn57b

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 33,604 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Lead roles in The Last of Us tv have been cast. Pedro Pascal as Joel and Bella Ramsey (Lady Mormont in Game of Thrones) as Ellie.

Pedro Pascal is a great choice for Joel imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Penn wrote: »
    Lead roles in The Last of Us tv have been cast. Pedro Pascal as Joel and Bella Ramsey (Lady Mormont in Game of Thrones) as Ellie.

I don't know, I like him a lot but IMO he's far too young to play Joel, still think Josh Brolin is the way to go. The girl seems like a strange choice too.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,604 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Markitron wrote: »
    I don't know, I like him a lot but IMO he's far too young to play Joel, still think Josh Brolin is the way to go. The girl seems like a strange choice too.

Josh Brolin would have been a great shout. Or Jon Hamm. Rumours that Mahershala Ali was in talks for the role too at one point which I would have loved. I'm happy with Pedro Pascal though. He's 45 so playing +/- 10 years shouldn't be an issue.

• Advertisement

Josh Brolin would have been a great shout. Or Jon Hamm. Rumours that Mahershala Ali was in talks for the role too at one point which I would have loved. I'm happy with Pedro Pascal though. He's 45 so playing +/- 10 years shouldn't be an issue.

I can't put my finger on why exactly, but I really don't like Hamm. There was a phase in around 2009-2012 where he seemed to be in everything, whether he was suitable or not.

Mahershala Ali would have been great, and he would have pissed off SO many racist fanboys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Playing The Mandolorian has given him a taste of transporting children.

I can't put my finger on why exactly, but I really don't like Hamm. There was a phase in around 2009-2012 where he seemed to be in everything, whether he was suitable or not.

Mahershala Ali would have been great, and he would have pissed off SO many racist fanboys.

Also think it would benefit from an actor that doesn't look exactly like the in game character.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,161 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Playing The Mandolorian has given him a taste of transporting children.

Strip away the Star Wars set dressing and it's more or less the same thing. Guy with traumatic past reluctantly gets tasked with transporting a kid and then grows attached to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

gizmo wrote: »

Did not see that coming. Maybe Deep Down has a chance afterall.

What the hell?

What the hell?

The most shocking part of this is the fact that Konami are releasing a new game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

The most shocking part of this is the fact that Konami are releasing a new game.
    They're not actually involved in it anymore, it's being published by Victura, a company setup by the guy who used to run the parent company of the previous developer, Atomic Games. There's still a bit of a whiff of America's Army from it, especially given the folk involved, but I guess we'll see what it's like once there's some proper gameplay footage released.

• Advertisement

I didn't see anything about Konami still publishing it.

Advertisement