Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game News 2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

gizmo wrote: »
    They're not actually involved in it anymore, it's being published by Victura, a company setup by the guy who used to run the parent company of the previous developer, Atomic Games. There's still a bit of a whiff of America's Army from it, especially given the folk involved, but I guess we'll see what it's like once there's some proper gameplay footage released.

Ah that makes sense. Shoulda known as it is not a pachinko machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

• Registered Users Posts: 23,161 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

If I say it, does it happen?

giphy-downsized-large.gif

I must use this power for good.

Scarlett Johansson fancies me.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,811 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

J. Marston wrote: »
    If I say it, does it happen?

giphy-downsized-large.gif

I must use this power for good.

Scarlett Johansson fancies me.

Incredible!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I do like Jack Black, but seeing as Cl4ptr4p will be CGI anyway, would it not have made more sense to just cast Jim Foronda?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,604 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I do like Jack Black, but seeing as Cl4ptr4p will be CGI anyway, would it not have made more sense to just cast Jim Foronda?

Nobody would care about Jim Foronda. Jack Black's casting gets news articles, some interest from anyone who likes him but don't play the games, and gets him on the press tour and interviews to advertise the movie.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,280 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

So kingdom hearts is coming to pc.

Epic exclusive.....

So that's the 1 and 2 remake/collections. Kingdom hearts 3 and the rhythm action.

If you think this is the perfect way to experience the series, don't. The best way is to not experience the series.

Except the rhythm action game because the music is the best thing about the series and it's meant to be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Retr0gamer wrote: »

If you think this is the perfect way to experience the series, don't. The best way is to not experience the series.

:p Well said.

I want to like Kingdom Hearts but I just can't. There is so much wrong with it from a storytelling perspective.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,280 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Even the combat is just a button masher.

But the music really is incredible. Yoko Shimomura is wasted on the series. Heard the rhythm game is theathythm with KH music which is a combination of two excellent things.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I once said to myself "how bad can the story possibly be?" after hearing numerous times this franchise had really labyrinthine plotting. Turns out I was very naive, one explainer video later and ... yowsers; how can a franchise overcomplicate and completely overcook ... "What if 'Who Framed Roger Rabbit?', only not a gumshoe film?"

• Advertisement

The latest one showed up on Gamepass at some point over the last few years, I had never played any of them and I heard the story was a bit of a mess, so I told myself I would just ignore it and try enjoy the gameplay and Disney cameos.

I didn't get past the opening cutscene, which bombarded me with the biggest load of nonsense I had ever seen. I don't like to judge people for enjoying whatever they like, but I make an exception for people that like Kingdom Hearts, Resident Evil 6 and Coldplay. There is something wrong with all of them.

It's what happens when you let a character artist obsessed with fashion loose to write the story of your game. I wouldn't mind but the appeal of the first game is the disney/Square cross over but the series just dumped that. Disney has taken a backseat, the Square characters are forgotten about and you are left with a bunch of knobheads made for the series that nobody can care for.

The best explanation for the amount of fans for the series is that KH fans are anime fanboys/girls that have mostly never played the games.

Speaking of Resident Evil 6, I started playing it again recently. My friend wants to play it as he has played all the rest so wanted to go through this in coop. I warned him but he wouldn't listen.

So played a bit of Leon's campaign and it's reminded me how bad the game is. It's a total mess. My friend was commenting just how poor it feels compared to how solid Resi 4 and 5 feel mechanically. Resi 4 was so intuitive especially when it came to staggering enemies and meleeing them. Resi 6 just doesn't feel like it works in any consistent way. It's a complete ****show.

Speaking of Resident Evil 6, I started playing it again recently. My friend wants to play it as he has played all the rest so wanted to go through this in coop. I warned him but he wouldn't listen.

So played a bit of Leon's campaign and it's reminded me how bad the game is. It's a total mess. My friend was commenting just how poor it feels compared to how solid Resi 4 and 5 feel mechanically. Resi 4 was so intuitive especially when it came to staggering enemies and meleeing them. Resi 6 just doesn't feel like it works in any consistent way. It's a complete ****show.

There are so so many things wrong with RE6, and you have identified one of the bigger ones. The combat and encounter design in RE4 is second to none, no other game can touch it IMO. To go from that to RE6 in 2 installments is a staggering devolution.

The only part of that game that is anywhere approaching decent is the very start of Leon's campaign before the actual game even starts.

Markitron wrote: »
    The only part of that game that is anywhere approaching decent is the very start of Leon's campaign before the actual game even starts.

But that part isn't even good, especially through a modern lens. You have to play through it to get to the multiplayer and it's pretty much just pressing forward while you walk super slow and do a few QTEs. Then run away from an explosion.

I'm dreading Chris' campaign. That was literally the worst thing I played that gen.

Anyway, just waiting on Ropedrink to jump on and say that mercenaries mode is incredible with tonnes of depth to the combat. :)

But that part isn't even good

Exactly, its awful. It is the only part that is approaching being good because, at that point, it wasn't clear just how bad the game was going to be. Then the game starts and removes all doubt.

Edit: Yea Chris' campaign is probably the worst, but choosing between those 4 campaigns is the is like choosing which of your 4 limbs you would rather have amputated.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

But that part isn't even good, especially through a modern lens. You have to play through it to get to the multiplayer and it's pretty much just pressing forward while you walk super slow and do a few QTEs. Then run away from an explosion.

I'm dreading Chris' campaign. That was literally the worst thing I played that gen.

Anyway, just waiting on Ropedrink to jump on and say that mercenaries mode is incredible with tonnes of depth to the combat. :)

I'll save you the wait and say, RE6 Mercenaries mode is incredible with tonnes of depth to the combat!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Or maybe not. PCGamesN say they reached out to Ubi who claim this is just the placeholder name used for internal playtesting, and that the real name will be revealed "soon".

Big Nintendo Direct tomorrow at 10pm apparently.

Maybe some Metroid news and a Zelda 35th anniversary celebration?

• Advertisement

Skyward Sword on Switch announcement please.

Or at least put me out of my misery that it's definitely not coming out due to the prevalence of the motion controls so I can just unwrap my Wii copy. :o

Skyward Sword on Switch announcement please.

Or at least put me out of my misery that it's definitely not coming out due to the prevalence of the motion controls so I can just unwrap my Wii copy. :o

No thanks, Skyward Sword was a slog.

I expect a Wind Waker/twilight princess release. Maybe skyward sword thrown in but I don't want to have to play that game again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Wind Waker & Twilight Princess are basically all the WiiU have left so they will probably be ported. As far as Metroid would go maybe a port of Metroid Samus Returns that was on the 3DS. I've given up on the Prime Trilogy at this stage.

Devils third remaster and sequel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

Avengers PS5/Xbox upgrade released on March 18th

Got the game for Christmas, waiting for this update to start the single player campaign

• Registered Users Posts: 15,355 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Completely forgot about that game

No thanks, Skyward Sword was a slog.

I expect a Wind Waker/twilight princess release. Maybe skyward sword thrown in but I don't want to have to play that game again.
    Perhaps, but I'd rather be disappointed with a remastered 1080p image and without the motion controls than in 480p while waving my arms around for 40hrs.
    Devils third remaster and sequel.
    Herc_is_Disappointed.gif

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

MS has started rolling out the frame rate doubling program for last gen games.

The first five games are

New Super Luckys Tale 120fps
    UFC 4 60fps
    Far Cry 4 60fps
    Sniper Elite 4 60fps
    Watch Dogs 2 60fps

Framerate seems to be almost locked on all games, on both consoles, which was a bit surprising. The Series S had some small dips with sniper elite.

Seems impressive, especially without any of the developers needing to touch the code at all. Hopefully they roll it out to better games soon

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

All this makes me feel like they have nothing to actually sell a next gen console so they're doing all this to cover up that they have nothing new and interesting coming. Fair play to them, but it seems pointless and unnecessary. Granted, some games of the last few years should get it as they're still active, but who is actually still playing FC4 or WD2?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭dohboy

The lack of new games for next-gen consoles is bizarre. I can't remember anything like it. I should be jealous of folks who have these machines, that's how it's supposed to work, but I'm not at all. When will this change?

Advertisement