Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game News 2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,039 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

dohboy wrote: »
    The lack of new games for next-gen consoles is bizarre. I can't remember anything like it. I should be jealous of folks who have these machines, that's how it's supposed to work, but I'm not at all. When will this change?

What new games were available on the PS3 or PS4 three months after release?

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭dohboy

No idea tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Big Nintendo Direct tomorrow at 10pm apparently.

Maybe some Metroid news and a Zelda 35th anniversary celebration?

A Metroid Prime Trilogy would be nice. I would love to start that series.
    Would also like to see some sort of Zelda release, particularly another port of Ocarina.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,039 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

No idea tbh.

I don't understand your orginal post then? You don't remember a release with such a lack of games before but you can't remember what release games were available for two of the biggest selling consoles of all time?

It's like this at the start of every generation and there's always a lack of games for the first 12-18 months. This time around I'd imagine it'll be even longer before games show up with delays due to Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭dohboy

TitianGerm wrote: »
    I don't understand your orginal post then? You don't remember a release with such a lack of games before but you can't remember what release games were available for two of the biggest selling consoles of all time?

It's like this at the start of every generation and there's always a lack of games for the first 12-18 months. This time around I'd imagine it'll be even longer before games show up with delays due to Covid.

I can't recall anything like it, like I said. Maybe others can. I don't think it was this bad before though, was it? It certainly feels, to me, that this lack of new games is unprecedented. I'm not expecting loads of new titles... just more than there are now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

YAS!

Eat ****, Retr0 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Ninja Gaiden Master Collection is also on the way, including its debut on PC. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

The lack of new games for next-gen consoles is bizarre. I can't remember anything like it. I should be jealous of folks who have these machines, that's how it's supposed to work, but I'm not at all. When will this change?

This is usually the case - Every time a new console is released the manufacturer will do their level best to excitedly try and drum up support and enthusiasm for the next generation of games that everybody simply has to have.

The reality is that a lot of these games that are lined up for the very early days to coincide with release will be rushed out as the the shelves can't empty of new titles to match the new console.

The PS5 version of COD Cold War isn't a patch on COD Modern Warfare on PS4.

The best games on PS5 right now are the cream of the last gen that have gotten PS5 updates to run at 4k 60 fps.

Right now my main concern for my PS5 is upgrading my external SSD to 2TB so I can revisit all of the epic PS4 games getting a new lease of life & I'm absolutely loving that as I go.

I would advise anyone thinking of selling their PS4 and games library to hold off and consider the above and also the option of PS5 remote play both of which make selling your PS4 for a song a very poor move IMO.

- Also keep an eye on Adverts for epic PS4 games being sold off and snap them up if you can.

Aye, that'll do.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,161 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Looks awful. I can't wait.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,280 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Looks like you'd need a few mates around and half a bottle of vodka each to enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Don't mind ye folk with yer high brow hidden meaning artsy fartsy films, this looks amazing! Too judgmental some of ye are.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Looks like Saudi Arabia, through its public slush fund, has acquired a combined 3.3 Billion stake In EA, Take-Two, and Activision. Functionally it's a fairly small percentage of shares so nowhere near a controlling interest; but just in case people were sitting on the fence about these companies, there's now Saudi money backing them lol :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,811 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

The Sinking City getting a PS5 upgrade today. 4k, 60fps, etc and free dlc. No free upgrade as there are still legal issues with publisher and devs are self publishing. They are dropping the price to 50 dollars though and 30% off for ps plus subscribers for first 2 weeks.

I always wanted to try this and was gonna bite now as the ps4 version can be gotten cheap, not for 50 (or the discount) though.

https://bloody-disgusting.com/video-games/3652610/frogwares-surprises-ps5-owners-with-enhanced-version-of-the-sinking-city-tomorrow/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,280 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

pixelburp wrote: »
    Looks like Saudi Arabia, through its public slush fund, has acquired a combined 3.3 Billion stake In EA, Take-Two, and Activision. Functionally it's a fairly small percentage of shares so nowhere near a controlling interest; but just in case people were sitting on the fence about these companies, there's now Saudi money backing them lol :rolleyes:

They bought a massive share in SNK as well.

They know that oil money is not going to last forever. Makes me sick thinking buying these games are supporting a barbaric regime.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

gizmo wrote: »

Aye, that'll do.

'It's a birth mark'
    'What does that mean?'
    'He was born with it'

I think the script might still need a bit of work.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    They bought a massive share in SNK as well.

They know that oil money is not going to last forever. Makes me sick thinking buying these games are supporting a barbaric regime.

I wonder if it'll make all those "stop putting politics in games!!1!" types think for a second. I mean, it won't of course, but maybe it'll give some brief pause before trotting it out next time someone points out that; yes, politics are in games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

'It's a birth mark'
    'What does that mean?'
    'He was born with it'

Why would a Mortal Kombat film need a script? I am fairly certain the original was made up as they went along and it was still great fun.

MK9 was one of the few games I never played, but watched all the cinematics after hearing its Story Mode was legitimately enthralling. And yeah, it totally was; so it's not impossible to fashion an engaging story from something like MK. All they have to do is roughly follow that template and boom, success.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,036 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

'It's a birth mark'
    'What does that mean?'
    'He was born with it'

I like to think they cut part of the line for the trailer and the full line is
    "He was born with it, but that's not important right now"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,161 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Overwatch 2...

Look at the some of the new designs...

https://overwatch2.playoverwatch.com/en-us/explore/new-look

I lost 18 months of my life to that game. It was hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,604 ✭✭✭✭Penn

J. Marston wrote: »
    Overwatch 2...

Look at the some of the new designs...

https://overwatch2.playoverwatch.com/en-us/explore/new-look

I lost 18 months of my life to that game. It was hell.

The trouble with the new character designs is that OW1 had so many skins for characters that the new designs have pretty much zero impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Penn wrote: »
    The trouble with the new character designs is that OW1 had so many skins for characters that the new designs have pretty much zero impact.

exactly the same thoughts watching that movie. They're going on about how excited they are to update the characters models and they're just skins. Who gives a f.

The entire PVE aspect of OW never interested me and still doesn't so I have zero hype for the 'sequel'. I still play OW, possibly the highest played game of all time for me so this will just more of the same as far as I'm concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,355 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

What was their justification for a new game? Aside from "we want more money"

The concept of a sequel in an era when "seasons" exist within popular multiplayer games feels very archaic. They're more live services than games really. Has to be plain greed TBH, they could have easily added the new content as part of a season, DLC, whatever.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

A lot of those new character designs feel like change for change’s sake. They’re very minor variations - which is good in one sense since the characters were so well designed in the first place, but just seems an odd thing to advertise as one of the big reveals for your game. As said, given the variations in character skins we see in individual games, it seems a stretch to call this an ‘evolution’.

I don’t think the idea of a sequel is a bad one, though. The original game has been out long enough, and since games get more convoluted for newcomers the longer they remain out there’s something to be said for restarting and putting everyone back at the starting position. As long as there’s enough that’s new and fresh to justify it, I personally think a sequel is fair game.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Vicxas wrote: »
    What was their justification for a new game? Aside from "we want more money"
    A lot of those new character designs feel like change for change’s sake. They’re very minor variations - which is good in one sense since the characters were so well designed in the first place, but just seems an odd thing to advertise as one of the big reveals for your game. As said, given the variations in character skins we see in individual games, it seems a stretch to call this an ‘evolution’.

I don’t think the idea of a sequel is a bad one, though. The original game has been out long enough, and since games get more convoluted for newcomers the longer they remain out there’s something to be said for restarting and putting everyone back at the starting position. As long as there’s enough that’s new and fresh to justify it, I personally think a sequel is fair game.

It's not a sequel or resetting anything per se, they're just adding a dedicated pve element. The PvP is free to existing OW owners and will just be added content. It's realistically more like doc or an expansion pack.

It's not a sequel or resetting anything per se, they're just adding a dedicated pve element. The PvP is free to existing OW owners and will just be added content. It's realistically more like doc or an expansion pack.

Yeah, plus it's a way to get new players on board by presenting it as a full new game.

I'm looking forward to it anyway. The gameplay of the first was sublime. I tried a few of the PvE events but they always felt tacked-on (which in fairness, they were). A properly designed PvE story mode could be fantastic, and a great reason to start playing the game again.

Penn wrote: »
    Yeah, plus it's a way to get new players on board by presenting it as a full new game.

I'm looking forward to it anyway. The gameplay of the first was sublime. I tried a few of the PvE events but they always felt tacked-on (which in fairness, they were). A properly designed PvE story mode could be fantastic, and a great reason to start playing the game again.
    Plus, there's crossplay between the two titles so the playerbase won't be split on release. It looks like they've handled this really well so far which feels rather...strange, given the machinations of both their own company and their parent one in more recent times.
    pixelburp wrote: »
    The concept of a sequel in an era when "seasons" exist within popular multiplayer games feels very archaic. They're more live services than games really. Has to be plain greed TBH, they could have easily added the new content as part of a season, DLC, whatever.
    Previous posts aside, the amount of content shown off in that trailer, or to put it another way, the work required to create the content shown off in that trailer, is way beyond the scope of a typical season or (I assume, free) DLC release in a current live-service game. Not really sure how best to elaborate on that but the technical work alone that would have gone into the renderer, updating the animation rigs, character systems for progression, AI for Story Missions as well as the UI and flow changes sitting on top of all of that, puts it firmly in paid content territory.

The more traditional loot box system that OW currently utilises may be seen as archaic next to more modern titles but since buying the game I've gotten 11 new heroes, 10 new primary mode maps, nearly the same again for the arcade modes and the arcade modes themselves, all for free without having to spend an additional penny. There's definitely some changes I'd like to see them make for OW2, notably replacing the purchase of the boxes with the in-game currency which would allow people to just buy what they want - but I most certainly dislike the idea of them changing it to a system which would lock players into having to play a certain number of hours in a certain time period in-addition to having premium items purchasable with real world currency.

• Advertisement

Sony have announced there'll be a new PSVR for PS5, including a new motion controller combined with dualsense functions.

Some more PS exclusives also likely to be coming to PC soon like Horizon did.

Advertisement