Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game News 2.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,280 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Fingers crossed I don't have to bother buying a PS5. Exclusives were thin enough on the ground on the PS4..... Still want astrobot though.

Also Gran Turismo has been delayed but I'd be more shocked if a GT game actually arrived on time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Penn wrote: »
    Some more PS exclusives also likely to be coming to PC soon like Horizon did.

Days Gone is one of them, according to Game Watcher (actually looks like everyone is running it). Seriously, Bloodborne or feck off.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Exclusives aside, the fact that the PS5 has finally brought consoles up to PC equivalent performance is something of a game changer for me. Hooked up to a good TV it's a spectacular performer, and given I spend eight or nine hours at my PC a day working from home it's great to have a separate gaming machine in a different room. Already fully delighted with the investment TBH, even if the only meaningful exclusives to date are a remake of an old game and the best tech demo ever made :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,280 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

PC has already surpassed the PS5.... but the components to surpass the PS5 might as well not exist at the moment as it's literally impossible to buy them at a fair price and I know from personal experience.

Saying that the PS5 is a really well specced machine, a far cry from the underpowered PS4. And even at that it was amazing what the Sony engineers pulled out of the PS4. It's a good buy and still has an advantage with the SSD drive. PC has drives just as fast but operating systems haven't been updated to let PC take advantage of that speed for games.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Fingers crossed I don't have to bother buying a PS5. Exclusives were thin enough on the ground on the PS4..... Still want astrobot though.

Also Gran Turismo has been delayed but I'd be more shocked if a GT game actually arrived on time.

Well, at least that's my Christmas 2022 sorted.

• Advertisement

Well, at least that's my Christmas 2022 sorted.

I take it this is the first GT you've been eagerly awaiting then?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah don't get me wrong, PC will only continue to grow over the lifespan of the new consoles - and those lucky enough to have a 30xx or whatever now will already have a good advantage. But the PS5 is definitely as good a performer as my 2060 Super (not a bad card by any stretch), and with HDR (and hopefully VRR soon) the games look substantially better than they do on my decent monitor as well. Of course, it'd be great to have a good PC hooked up to the TV as well, although at the moment the PS5 more than covers what I need it for.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,910 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I like Gran Turismo, but what I really want is Forza Horizon 5. Make it happen this year Microsoft thanks.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

See Sony have sorted indicated that more of their first party games will appear on PC. So with games like Kingdom Heats and the just announced Days Gone coming to PC it really is the best ever time to own a Nintendo Switch :P

Kingdom Hearts was never an exclusive though. Pretty sure that was Square sorting out rights with Disney that has held those games on Sony system. Square like money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I take it this is the first GT you've been eagerly awaiting then?

Nope, I remember saving up my pocket money for GT3 nearly 2 decades ago. I still have it on my shelves today, but thanks to my PS2's burnt-out laser I have to make do with emulators if I ever want to scratch that itch.

Another video game IP is being given the tv series treatment. Following recent announcements for The Last of Us, Resident Evil, Twisted Metal et al, we now have.... Frogger?

More trouble at Techland (Dying Light studio) according to The Gamer.
    Report: Techland Is Bleeding Talent Due To Autocratic Management, Bad Feedback, And Lack Of Direction

• Registered Users Posts: 29,811 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Mr Crispy wrote: »

Artists being told their work is "too fa**ot like". Jesus!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,354 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Has anyone contacted Sony support lately? I've been trying their number on their website but it says its unavailable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Vicxas wrote: »
    Has anyone contacted Sony support lately? I've been trying their number on their website but it says its unavailable.

I called them the other day, you can get them on 01 691 7379

Word of warning, their lines open at 10:30, call the second they open. If you delay even a few minutes you will be on hold for an hour minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,354 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Markitron wrote: »
    I called them the other day, you can get them on 01 691 7379

Word of warning, their lines open at 10:30, call the second they open. If you delay even a few minutes you will be on hold for an hour minimum.

Was that through mobile? I was thinking that maybe thats why it was unavailable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Vicxas wrote: »
    Was that through mobile? I was thinking that maybe thats why it was unavailable.

Yea I used my mobile.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I wonder how the issue of "bad management" tracks in the game industry versus the wider world of software; it just seems especially bad compared with my own limited perspective working across a bevvy of SaaS companies down the years. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Knowing there are at least some good eggs out there like Supergiant Games or Motion Twin, means it's not a complete certainty all game studios are crappy, toxic.

Anthem Next is cancelled. They will keep anthem going as is but nothing new. At least they can concentrate on other games now.

https://twitter.com/bioware/status/1364655332501450760?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Anthem Next is cancelled. They will keep anthem going as is but nothing new. At least they can concentrate on other games now.

If ever there was a perfect use case for the "and nothing of value was lost" meme :pac:

Yeah, and ruin that too. Not to be pessimistic but Bioware have proven that they are incapable of learning from past mistakes. I have very little faith in the next Dragon Age game.

This gave me a chuckle.

https://twitter.com/Spartinel/status/1364658362588094464?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 33,604 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Have to wonder will Avengers meet the same fate. There's no way they'll be able to keep going long enough with the amount of characters they originally had planned. If they don't get a huge bump with the next-gen upgrade next month I can't see them continuing past the end of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Zero-Cool wrote: »

IMO, this hurts their rep. They abandon Andromeda, which still had issues for this, and now they abandon Anthem, for Dragon Age. I can't say I have much trust in bioware anymore.

So Henry Cavill (the big tease) posted this on Instagram, with the caption "Secret project? Or just a handful of paper with random words on it.... Guess you'll have to wait and see. Happy hump day all."

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLrAjEuhtTe/

Someone ran the blurry text through a deblur program, and it turned out to be an excerpt from the Mass Effect 3 Wikipedia page.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Penn wrote: »
    Have to wonder will Avengers meet the same fate. There's no way they'll be able to keep going long enough with the amount of characters they originally had planned. If they don't get a huge bump with the next-gen upgrade next month I can't see them continuing past the end of the year.

They have already done a better job than Anthem. We will at bare minimum get the other Hawkeye DLC and then Spider-man for PlayStation.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I dunno, for all the issues Anthem has, you still heard of people playing it. Seems Avengers has gone silent since it launched, and it will take a lot more than a few more DLC characters at a cost to get me interested.

So Henry Cavill (the big tease) posted this on Instagram, with the caption "Secret project? Or just a handful of paper with random words on it.... Guess you'll have to wait and see. Happy hump day all."

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLrAjEuhtTe/

Someone ran the blurry text through a deblur program, and it turned out to be an excerpt from the Mass Effect 3 Wikipedia page.

Henry as commander Shepard? **** yeah!

Advertisement