Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game News 2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Sinking City has been listed on Steam today however it appears to be a version released by the publisher Nacon, who still have some kind of tenuous hold on the IP, not the developers Frogwares.

It doesn't have any of the DLC's and will likely be unsupported by the devs who are distancing themselves from it

Frogwares are going so far as to say Nacon have cracked and pirated the game!

More background info here on a Frogwares blog post.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I hear ya. But it's impossible for NFS to make any mark when Forza: Horizon exists. Horizon is the best arcade open world racer. But its not completely arcade. So it moved that type of game forward. Its progressive in that sense. NFS is kind of stuck in that 90s arcade racer genre with a modern look. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed some Payback as that had good drifting and a nice map but Forza is just so refreshingly good.

Agreed. Who needs "brake-to-drift" when Horizon has intuitive physics that still have some basis in reality. I booted up Heat a few months ago after leaving it alone for a few months, and I just found those "brake-to-drift" physics so jarring. Hell, even Absolute Drift, which probably had a development team that you could count on your hand, has better physics.

I completely forgot this was in development, but Cold Iron Studios and Fox have revealed the Aliens game they've been working on - a class-based co-op shooter. Won't be getting too excited yet.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I was going to say it already looks better than Colonial Marines, but then even Colonial Marines looked good at the start; a co-op shooter does seem like a pretty simple fit & execution so you'd like to think they couldn't balls it up too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,354 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I see criteron have been drafted in to assist on BF6

Thats Criterion gone so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Cant say I'm excited at all. After the high that was Isolation it feels like such a regress to go back to the well that Colonial Marines took a **** in.

The batting average for alien titles that lean heavy on the marines is shockingly poor. Colonial Marines may be the lowest point but honestly most of the games that have involved players controlling space marines vs aliens were not great. I think the best might be the first pc based AVP because of how they balanced it and how damn scary even a basic alien would be in that game because of how fast they were and dark. It really did feel like you were a glass cannon, a tonne of firepower but if you let even one of them get close you were in a world of hurt.

Every other alien/avp game has been average to awful when it came to the marines, the other AVP titles have mostly lived of how good their alien or predator campaigns have played out (though I'll credit AVP 2 for getting closest to the tone)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Well, RIP them as a game developer people will buy from.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,038 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

TheChrisD wrote: »
    Well, RIP them as a game developer people will buy from.

That's just stupid. People will still buy their games.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

TitianGerm wrote: »
    That's just stupid. People will still buy their games.

A lot of people are in denial about just how successful the Epic Games Store has been.

• Advertisement

CatInABox wrote: »
    A lot of people are in denial about just how successful the Epic Games Store has been.

It's ridiculous. It's a client that everyone has access to and it does exactly what it needs to do. Yes there's some features missing but it does the most important thing it needs to do - load the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

It's ridiculous. It's a client that everyone has access to and it does exactly what it needs to do. Yes there's some features missing but it does the most important thing it needs to do - load the game.

I’m mostly a console gamer so I found it utterly bizarre when people went mad about games being exclusive to the Epic store. Yea its inconvenient to not have it with the rest of your games on steam, but it’s not like you have to buy a 500 quid console is it.

Markitron wrote: »
    I’m mostly a console gamer so I found it utterly bizarre when people went mad about games being exclusive to the Epic store. Yea its inconvenient to not have it with the rest of your games on steam, but it’s not like you have to buy a 500 quid console is it.

Don't mention the war.

Don't mention the war.

Lol

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

The only issue i have with Epic is their exclusivity deals. No place in the PC market for that kind of ****e. If they want to get ahead of Steam, make a better client (not that hard considering Steam has been **** for ages), and offer better prices. Throwing Fortenite money at anyone and everyone just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Fall guys is fun but lets be real whoever owned that company made a ****ton of money.

Look at their previous games.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mediatonic

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Fall Guys was one of those games I regret not refunding after an hour and a half - tried to get into it for a week, looked fun at start but man, does it get incredibly boring fast? the sounds are nauseating, and there's really no skill involved bar persistence.

I don't get the hate for Epic though, thought everyone with a PC had the Epic store, they throw out the odd half decent freebie and vouchers for €10 off games over 14.99 ... their games tend to always work at least too, not had any issues. I've had way more with Steam tbh

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,280 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Fall guys is fun but lets be real whoever owned that company made a ****ton of money.

Look at their previous games.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mediatonic

They gave us Hatoful Boyfriend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭McFly85

Fall Guys was one of those games I regret not refunding after an hour and a half - tried to get into it for a week, looked fun at start but man, does it get incredibly boring fast? the sounds are nauseating, and there's really no skill involved bar persistence.

I don't get the hate for Epic though, thought everyone with a PC had the Epic store, they throw out the odd half decent freebie and vouchers for €10 off games over 14.99 ... their games tend to always work at least too, not had any issues. I've had way more with Steam tbh

Fall guys was great for a while in lockdown for me, the gf doesn’t really game but the simple idea got her hooked, we had a few evenings where it was genuinely great fun. Also it was one I could play with my nephew too, which was nice considering I couldn’t visit!

But yeah, it got old very quickly. Didn’t help that season 2 was a massive disappointment-a couple of new maps wasn’t going to keep everyone playing too long, especially when they didn’t fix core issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

McFly85 wrote: »
    Fall guys was great for a while in lockdown for me, the gf doesn’t really game but the simple idea got her hooked, we had a few evenings where it was genuinely great fun. Also it was one I could play with my nephew too, which was nice considering I couldn’t visit!

But yeah, it got old very quickly. Didn’t help that season 2 was a massive disappointment-a couple of new maps wasn’t going to keep everyone playing too long, especially when they didn’t fix core issues.

I did get my 12yr old daughter to try it out and we had a couple fun sessions playing it at first but it just got old fast for me. She had more fun with Tekken 7 and some platformers I downloaded around the same time. It was mostly The Witcher 3 on my new PC got me through, but it's whatever works right? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Dave1711

Kiith wrote: »
    The only issue i have with Epic is their exclusivity deals. No place in the PC market for that kind of ****e. If they want to get ahead of Steam, make a better client (not that hard considering Steam has been **** for ages), and offer better prices. Throwing Fortenite money at anyone and everyone just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

i dont mind it purely because its given a lot of developers more freedom to make the games they want like IOI going solo to make Hitman 3 which was great

Games like Satisfactory,Hades,Control, Outer Wilds and Worlds all came through their exlusivity program who knows how different they may have been if they had to seek out bigger publishers to help them along.

I understand the frustration though theres so many launchers these days but i do feel Epic get a bit too much **** tbh

And most of it probably isnt even Fortnite money think people forget they own the Unreal engine too which probably bags them more then Fortnite.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

CatInABox wrote: »

Going by their released financials it hasn't been that successful though.

I don't think they care about losing money on it right now, they are throwing cash at the wall to get a share of the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

The numbers have been interesting alright. They went from $680m in sales, $251m of which was from third-party content, in 2019 to $700m in sales, $265m of which was again from third-party content, in 2020. So there's growth there, it's perhaps not as large as one would expect given the investment in the platform?

It'd definitely be interested to see the active user stats specifically in the context of third party games too as Fortnite will likely be inflating those substantially.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

gizmo wrote: »
    The numbers have been interesting alright. They went from $680m in sales, $251m of which was from third-party content, in 2019 to $700m in sales, $265m of which was again from third-party content, in 2020. So there's growth there, it's perhaps not as large as one would expect given the investment in the platform?

It'd definitely be interested to see the active user stats specifically in the context of third party games too as Fortnite will likely be inflating those substantially.

To be fair, they were also 60% over their forecast so they must be happy enough It just doesn't seem like huge growth for the money invested and a year in which the world slowed to a crawl and most people stuck at home.

Bloomberg are (again) reporting that there'll a new version of the Switch by the end of the year. According to them it will have a 7" 720P OLED screen made by Samsung, but output in 4K when docked.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I've been tempted by the Switch a few times, but been holding off for the Switch v2. Been holding off a while now!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,845 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

God sake how am I supposed to hide 3 switches from the missus :)

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Metroid diorteM

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    Bloomberg are (again) reporting that there'll a new version of the Switch by the end of the year. According to them it will have a 7" 720P OLED screen made by Samsung, but output in 4K when docked.

That sounds **** tbh. 720p? People don't buy games on switch for TV 4k games. If I'm playing on a TV in 4k I'll be buying it on xbox or playstation because the performance will be suitable. A super powerful portable is their niche.

• Advertisement

That sounds **** tbh. 720p? People don't buy games on switch for TV 4k games. If I'm playing on a TV in 4k I'll be buying it on xbox or playstation because the performance will be suitable. A super powerful portable is their niche.

You won't be playing Mario or Zelda on either of those though.

Advertisement