Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game News 2.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,414 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The first Sigma is pretty close to the original but Sigma 2 was changed significantly for the PS3. It might look a little prettier but it plays totally differently as dismemberment works differently and there are way less enemies on screen at the same time. It's a much worse game than the absolute insanity of NG2. Even just the aftermath of a fight with gore and limbs all over the place in NG2 is glorious and neutered for sigma 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The first Sigma is pretty close to the original but Sigma 2 was changed significantly for the PS3. It might look a little prettier but it plays totally differently as dismemberment works differently and there are way less enemies on screen at the same time. It's a much worse game than the absolute insanity of NG2. Even just the aftermath of a fight with gore and limbs all over the place in NG2 is glorious and neutered for sigma 2.
    Yea, I still remember being surprised when I saw the DF comparison way back.

Looking at things like this now..

...makes me think I'll probably end up with an XSX at some point to just server as a Ninja Gaiden box. :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

gizmo wrote: »

...makes me think I'll probably end up with an XSX at some point to just server as a Ninja Gaiden box. :pac:

Read as 'sever', which is the most apt typo imaginable for Ninja Gaiden.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

I've had the thought of buying an xbox for 'proper' NG as well but it's such an extravagant purchase for one (or two) game. Everything else xbox has is on PC more or less, just with the exception of these two excellent action games that only have ****tier versions on other systems.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,414 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I've had the thought of buying an xbox for 'proper' NG as well but it's such an extravagant purchase for one (or two) game. Everything else xbox has is on PC more or less, just with the exception of these two excellent action games that only have ****tier versions on other systems.

They are two incredible games though.

And it's worth it for panzer dragoon and jet set radio future as well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Just a side note, but I've been tempted by an Xbox for the first time in a while recently. It's definitely a lockdown thing - when my PC space is mainly used for work at the moment, it'd be nice to have GamePass stuff available in a different room / space. Being able to boot up some of my old Japanese CAVE shooter 360 discs and old Xbox games would be a nice bonus.

I've more than enough game to keep me going for the moment, but definitely something I'd consider in a year or so if GamePass keeps going the direction it is - although hopefully being able to separate home / work again at some stage this year will free up the PC too!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,968 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Which Xbox would you go for Johnny?

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    Which Xbox would you go for Johnny?

It would be the Series X, for the 4K but mainly because my Mushihimesama Futari disc wouldn’t fit in a Series S ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,921 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I see Rome Total War is getting a remaster as part of the series 20th birthday celebrations. It'll include the Alexander and Barbarian Invasion expansions, and will be half price if you already own the original (Steam).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Advertisement

Humankind, the Civ rival from the Endless people, has also been delayed. Now looking at August.

Daedalic have announced a new standalone expansion for Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun, called Aiko's Choice. Noice.

They also gave a first (short) look at gameplay from the upcoming Gollum game.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

gizmo wrote: »
    Yea, I still remember being surprised when I saw the DF comparison way back.

Looking at things like this now..

This brings backs memories of 08/09 I still have the xbox 360 disc knocking about at home so if I put that in my series x I will get the enhanced version?

This brings backs memories of 08/09 I still have the xbox 360 disc knocking about at home so if I put that in my series x I will get the enhanced version?

Nope but pretty sure that it has been updated to run at 4K. I played it again on my One S and it ran in 1080p.

And was ****ing glorious.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Nope but pretty sure that it has been updated to run at 4K. I played it again on my One S and it ran in 1080p.

Pretty sure that is the case with Ninja Gaiden Black and II?

List of Xbox One X Enhanced games

4k and all those limbs, will defo give it a whirl.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

The MS Discord thing looks to be moving along. They're in advanced exclusive discussions, with Discord having approached MS. Be interesting to see how they handle them in the future. Wouldn't mind if Xbox chat was replaced by discord completely.

4k and all those limbs, will defo give it a whirl.

I wonder if the stairs fight still slows to single digit frame rates.

That fight was just utter insanity.

I wonder if the stairs fight still slows to single digit frame rates.

That fight was just utter insanity.

Yeah watching the df video , it jogged a lot of things I always found using the nunchuks , really brought down the frame rate when you held y and went ham.

Excited to give it a go in 2 weeks when I get a hold of it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

PS3 Store confirmed to close on July 2nd, with the Vita Store following on August 27th.

You will still be able to download your owned PS3, PS Vita, and PSP content, including games and video content.
    • You can download your owned content onto your PS3, PS Vita, or PSP by accessing the Download List on the respective device.

Good luck finding what you own on that download list on PS3 as there are no organization tools for undownloaded content on the platform.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Good luck finding what you own on that download list on PS3 as there are no organization tools for undownloaded content on the platform.

I think it's just chronological!
    It's a fooking mess :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

marcbrophy wrote: »
    I think it's just chronological!
    It's a fooking mess :D

It is, but the download list only shows you the date of purchase until you click into it. It also contains your digital purchases, demos etc. on all the other PS platforms so could easily contain 1000 items.

Tbh I don't know why if they are keeping the servers up they can't keep the store pages up on PS3, even just for navigation.

It is, but the download list only shows you the date of purchase until you click into it. It also contains your digital purchases, demos etc. on all the other PS platforms so could easily contain 1000 items.

Tbh I don't know why if they are keeping the servers up they can't keep the store pages up on PS3, even just for navigation.

Just a pain and cost of maintenance. Those shops as usual for Sony back end software stuff, were awfully made and could become a big security risk down the line.

Just get a PC.... no wait don't, you'll neve find a GPU!

Just a pain and cost of maintenance. Those shops as usual for Sony back end software stuff, were awfully made and could become a big security risk down the line.

Just get a PC.... no wait don't, you'll neve find a GPU!

Honestly, this does feel very much so like the failing point of digital only on the PlayStation. Eg most pc users went digital over physical about fifteen years ago via platforms like steam. There's no issue accessing any of the games. They really need to aim for a higher standards on that front imho. It might not annoy consumers now but eventually it will imho as consoles go primarily digital rather than physical.

Unfortunately it won't annoy people enough to not buy a new playstation and still buy titles for it.

Sony just don't care. They will support these games through PS Now as it's more important for them to get subscriptions than to keep the store open which will be sales dry up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭quokula

Not sure I understand the big deal. All your software on those platforms is still available, nothing has been taken away apart from the ability to buy new stuff. When was the last time you actually wanted to buy a new game digitally on a PS3? And if you do want to do that, you've been given adequate warning to spend the next couple of months buying up all those games that you've managed to resist temptation on for the last decade or more.

Decisions like this are made based on the number of users actually using the services. If people were still buying PS3 games online in any number then the store would be justifying its existence and there would be no need to shut it. As the new platforms are digital first, more people will use them so those stores will last a lot longer, though it is of course inevitable that these things can't be kept up in perpetuity, as it would be crazy to keep infrastructure and staff tied up working on a service that nobody is using.

It's just annoying that when you buy a game on these digital stores you are renting it, you don't own it.

There's also the factor of digital archiving imo. Eg years down the line and the only way to obtain certain games becomes piracy. Not everything makes it to ps plus. Some ps3 games weren't even released on physical media. So I do think some process is needed to make sure they're not entirely lost to the ether.

There's also the factor of digital archiving imo. Eg years down the line and the only way to obtain certain games becomes piracy. Not everything makes it to ps plus. Some ps3 games weren't even released on physical media. So I do think some process is needed to make sure they're not entirely lost to the ether.

The libraries of all three systems have been thoroughly archived so we should be ok on that front.

• Advertisement

The libraries of all three systems have been thoroughly archived so we should be ok on that front.

Oh I know they might be archived in that sense. But public availability would be more my concern...

Advertisement