Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game News 2.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    The Darkside Detective releasing on Playstation on 15th April. Looks like it could be a laugh. Anyone play it on PC and recommend it?

This is the sequel, the first one is already available. I enjoyed it a lot cause it's silly and a nice nostalgic kick playing a point and click for the first time since Monkey Islands for me. But full disclosure, the developers are friends of mine :) 3 person core team based here in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,811 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Shiminay wrote: »
    This is the sequel, the first one is already available. I enjoyed it a lot cause it's silly and a nice nostalgic kick playing a point and click for the first time since Monkey Islands for me. But full disclosure, the developers are friends of mine :) 3 person core team based here in Ireland.

Aw no way that's class! Will gladly be buying that to support them so.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Will definitely be buying, they did such a great job with the first one! When I got to play it, it was just after the crowdfunding for the sequel. That was my only disappointment, that I didn't get to back it at that stage!

Aw no way that's class! Will gladly be buying that to support them so.

Oh and the first game released yesterday, have some catching up to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,845 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

JimBurnley wrote: »
    A pointless remake of TLOU but no Days Gone 2. Unbeliveable

Sickened with days gone 2 not happening. Felt it was on the cards with the main writers leaving. But has hoped they had enough in place to make it happen.

Will definitely go back and restart it now that I won't have a sequel coming.

• Advertisement

Played the first case tonight. Nice and quick, relaxing, funny (parts had me audibly chuckle), just a pleasure to play :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Days Gone 2 and TLOU remake is baffling. Is it just me or is the industry becoming more out of touch with what the community want. There's been a number of slam dunks they seem to have royally messed up?
    This, Cyberpunk, Resi3 remake, Fallout 76 (little dated),TLOU2:pac:, Battlefield 5 (I must say I loved this myself but the sheet show at launch was unreal) has it always been like this?
    maybe it's just me and I need to go outside and yell at a cloud

actually just looking at a list here and since No Man's Sky there's been a number that have been astonishingly poorly received

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_games_notable_for_negative_reception

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

I'm going to plead ignorance here. What was the uproar about the RE3 remake?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,279 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It was too short and areas from the original game weren't in it.

So pretty much gamer entitlement rather than uproar as it's a fine game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

If anything I’d say a lot of big-budget developers are *too* eager to please fans. The big-budget space is dominated by sequels to an unhealthy degree, and many fans always demand more. Does anyone truly need another Mass Effect game? Probably not, but we’re getting one because there’s always calls for more, even after a ‘complete’ trilogy and a disappointing follow-up. Blockbuster games that don’t get sequels are usually the exception.

That’s a separate issue IMO to games launching in a disappointing or unfinished state. Some projects will always go awry creatively - that’s how it goes, often despite the best efforts of the teams involved. Add to that the increasing complexity and resources demanded by the highest fidelity games and ruthless corporate decision-making imposing unrealistic schedules on developers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

The RE2 remake was above and beyond what people expected, it updated what needed updating and really made the game that people remember it as through nostalgia rose tinted glasses.

And then RE3 did not, they changed what they shouldn't have too much and didn't do enough elsewhere leaving bits out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭quokula

I'm confused, are we supposed to be getting angry that there are too many sequels, or are we supposed to be getting angry that there are too many narrative driven open word games, or are we supposed to be angry that Days Gone, a narrative driven open world game, is not getting a sequel? It's hard to keep up sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,036 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

quokula wrote: »
    I'm confused, are we supposed to be getting angry that there are too many sequels, or are we supposed to be getting angry that there are too many narrative driven open word games, or are we supposed to be angry that Days Gone, a narrative driven open world game, is not getting a sequel? It's hard to keep up sometimes.

Yes!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

These kind of remakes are probably relatively easy, given so much of the "development" can be potentially palmed off to outsourced studios around the globe. So the main studio remains freed up for future projects, while the needed pittance is paid to some place in Malaysia to tidy up the remakes assets. Money for old rope I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Arcadeheroes

Adyx wrote: »
    I said it before in A&R and I'll say it here again: Alex Kidd in Miracle World is better than Mario Bros. 1. A LOT better in fact. Apart from music maybe.

And Sonic adventure is better than Mario 64

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

And Sonic adventure is better than Mario 64

Thanks for taking the heat off me. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I mean, in its release year, Days Gone sold less than Kingdom Hearts 3...

I mean, in its release year, Days Gone sold less than Kingdom Hearts 3...

Don't know where you're getting that from, only thing official we've got it PSN sales rankings which put Days gone ahead of KH3

Before Sony changed the API and locked out people we had some numbers on accounts with it, Days gone had ~9m users before the PS5 that puts it ahead of a lot of games. Kingdom hearts 3 is down as ~5m.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Must have found incorrect info so, my apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Must have found incorrect info so, my apologies.

Days Gone sold ridiculously well, you can also tell by how long it stayed at full price. That's the main reason so many are surprised we aren't getting a sequel. Tbh if it weren't for all the other info coming out about their AAA approach, I would almost consider it a brave decision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,408 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

There seems to be a calculation based on expected sales vs actual sales, so you have a slightly bonkers situation where a game sells well but not as well as expected and is considered a failure.
    I would say there was a big enough marketing budget for Days Gone, I certainly remember ads for it. They don't seem to market games well or maybe I'm looking in the wrong places as I never seem to notice them. Of course I'll buy anything on a whim like a lot of gamers so maybe that's considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

gimli2112 wrote: »
    There seems to be a calculation based on expected sales vs actual sales, so you have a slightly bonkers situation where a game sells well but not as well as expected and is considered a failure.
    I would say there was a big enough marketing budget for Days Gone, I certainly remember ads for it. They don't seem to market games well or maybe I'm looking in the wrong places as I never seem to notice them. Of course I'll buy anything on a whim like a lot of gamers so maybe that's considered.

AFAIK it actually sold more than expected. Square Enix are the worst for expected sales, its like FF7 set the baseline and every game they released after it is a sales disappointment compared to it.

gimli2112 wrote: »

There's the development and marketing costs too.

Avengers sold 2 plus million in no time and hit 4m when square reported their financials and stated they lost 50m on it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Firmly in the rumour camp for now, but apparently Square Enix is up for sale.

https://twitter.com/ShaunMusgrave/status/1382872323816972292?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 33,604 ✭✭✭✭Penn

CatInABox wrote: »
    Firmly in the rumour camp for now, but apparently Square Enix is up for sale.

https://twitter.com/ShaunMusgrave/status/1382872323816972292?s=19

I imagine they took a serious hit off Avengers, not just through sales but probably didn't bring in anywhere near the microtransaction revenue they thought it would.

I'd say Phil Spencer is already reaching for the wallet.

Penn wrote: »
    I imagine they took a serious hit off Avengers, not just through sales but probably didn't bring in anywhere near the microtransaction revenue they thought it would.

That would be a huge get. Imagine if FF7 Remake part 2 was xbox exclusive....

• Registered Users Posts: 28,038 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I'd say they'd be interested alright. Could help them get a bit of a foothold in Japan at the very least.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,604 ✭✭✭✭Penn

That would be a huge get. Imagine if FF7 Remake part 2 was xbox exclusive....

Tomb Raider too. As much complaining as there was when MS paid for one of the games to be a timed-exclusive, if they took the entire license and made it Xbox exclusive, along with Final Fantasy games.... Man there'd be uproar

It'd make sense if Sony bought them given the long history especially with the FF games. But MS buying them would be rough.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,038 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Tomb Raider too. As much complaining as there was when MS paid for one of the games to be a timed-exclusive, if they took the entire license and made it Xbox exclusive, along with Final Fantasy games.... Man there'd be uproar

It'd make sense if Sony bought them given the long history especially with the FF games. But MS buying them would be rough.

So it'd be ok if Sony bought them but uproar if Microsoft did?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

TBH Dragon Quest would be the even more interesting ‘acquisition’ for someone like Microsoft. That’d be a complete realignment of the Japanese market, and really not sure how it’d go down. Sony or Nintendo, it’d be business as usual really in comparison. I’m not sure how the most popular series on the least popular console would play with Japanese fans.

But as said it’s all rumour at the moment, and potentially just a play to reassure markets after a fart of an Avengers game. TBH in general I don’t think it’s a good thing at all that both Sony and MS are being more aggressive with acquisitions - I think it’s all corporate power-playing rather than anything that really benefits players. It all just centralises ownership of valuable series with an even bigger corporate parent than before.

Advertisement