Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game News 2.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Apologies if already reported, Eurogamer are reporting that a Knights of the Old Republic remake is on its way via Aspyr studios.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-04-21-star-wars-knights-of-the-old-republic-remake-developed-by-aspyr

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

pixelburp wrote: »
    Apologies if already reported, Eurogamer are reporting that a Knights of the Old Republic remake is on its way via Aspyr studios.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-04-21-star-wars-knights-of-the-old-republic-remake-developed-by-aspyr

Yea this has been rumoured for ages. Makes sense, games are still fantastic but extremely clunky and the visuals have aged horribly. Eurogamer touch on it, but I really can't see how they remake this. That would require significant work/investment and Lucasfilm won't sign off on a major release that isn't cannon anymore.

I think they might get away with a Mass Effect-style remaster though, I suspect that is what this is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

pixelburp wrote: »

I notice they're calling this a remake rather than a remaster. How far can they go with that though? At least Aspyr have some experience with SW games I suppose.

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    I notice they're calling this a remake rather than a remaster. How far can they go with that though? At least Aspyr have some experience with SW games I suppose.

I really don't know, and it is a big question. As I mentioned if this is a big project, then Disney/Lucasfilm will have their fingers in it. That means it would have to be adapted to the current timeline. They can't apply subtle changes here and there to accommodate that, the events of Kotor (particularly the second one) have now been completely over-written in the new timeline. It has even been subsequently trampled on in the old timeline, by Bioware themselves no less.

To make it fit they would have to change so much that I doubt you could even call it a remake, it would be a spiritual successor really.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Think they'll need a remake rather than a remaster alright. I tried to play the original KoToR last year and it's really hard to go back to

• Advertisement

New trailer for Necromunda: Hired Gun;

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I love how while tastes come, and tastes go, Warhammer 40k will always keep the overwrought, grimdark/edgelord aesthetic ticking over. Love some of the designs of the world but its feel just always rubs me up the wrong way.

The gameplay looks like Games Workshop looked at Doom: Eternal, and said to the devs, "do that!"

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Free to play games on Xbox no longer require a subscription to play online.

https://twitter.com/Xbox/status/1384884758493106176

About time, should never have been required in the first place. Party chat is free now, too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

I'm holding out on getting a current gen console till Microsoft get really desperate and pay me to take one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,279 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Considering most games are P2P or use the publishers servers there should be no subscription at all. You are basically paying to be advertised to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

I thought the likes of Fortnite was already free to play without a subscription? You don't need it on the Playstation.

Edit: you can play all those, except Roblox which isn't on PS, without a PS Plus subscription.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Finally...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,161 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

You had to pay to play Apex and Fortnite on Xbox?!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

J. Marston wrote: »
    You had to pay to play Apex and Fortnite on Xbox?!

Yup. As you can imagine, it was a source of much annoyance and frustration.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,811 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Nice, new Test Drive Unlimited, 'next chapter' in July. Not sure if that means next trailer or release date.

TDU 2 was great, really enjoyed it but was missing something to keep me going with it. Badly need a good racing game on PlayStation.

https://twitter.com/testdrive/status/1384899734410776577?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 28,036 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

You must be excited by this one Zero :pac:

TitianGerm wrote: »
    You must be excited by this one Zero :pac:

Just in case people missed the first 2 posts :pac: no clue what happened there!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,908 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I'd say you would love to play the Forza Horizon games on Playstation if you could Zero.

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    I'd say you would love to play the Forza Horizon games on Playstation if you could Zero.

I'd trade every gran turismo for just one forza horizon.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I'd trade every gran turismo for just one forza horizon.

You could always get a Series S. Same colour as the PS5 ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,455 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Horizon games are my 3rd favourite franchise, after GTA, then AC :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It’d be nice if Microsoft wasn’t so eager to kill the bloody things off. Horizon 3 is a classic arcade racer, and has already been completely killed off despite being not even five years old. Still prefer its sunny Australia to 4’s British countryside.

It’d be nice if Microsoft wasn’t so eager to kill the bloody things off. Horizon 3 is a classic arcade racer, and has already been completely killed off despite being not even five years old. Still prefer its sunny Australia to 4’s British countryside.
    Shame there was no Summer Bay expansion for FH3.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

It's not MS being eager, it was down to the terms of the licence agreements they signed with the music/car manufacturers that are in the game. Obviously one of them lapsed and thus the game had to be delisted since they can't forcibly remove them from every copy of the game in existence.

Activision, Sega and Bandai Namco have been added to the list of companies "attending" E3 this year. I won't mention Elden Ring. Oh, I just have...

Think that just leaves EA and Sony out of the "big" names, with both likely doing their own thing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,279 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

EA have done their own thing for a long time. I expect they will have their own press conference and won't be on the show floor. Sony not showing up is weird. Nintendo don't do a direct and not a keynote but they do have game demos for press and treehouse feeds from the show floor. I expected Sony to do similar but looks like they are a no show

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    EA have done their own thing for a long time. I expect they will have their own press conference and won't be on the show floor. Sony not showing up is weird. Nintendo don't do a direct and not a keynote but they do have game demos for press and treehouse feeds from the show floor. I expected Sony to do similar but looks like they are a no show

Sony said in 2019 they weren't doing E3 anymore, so this shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

Looks like something I'd be into, although that tweet needs an Oxford comma.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

This could be fun.
    Speaking of construction games...

Instruments of Destruction

The words sandbox kind of put me off but it'll be interesting to see what they do with it.

Advertisement