Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game News 2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I enjoyed it, low expectation, switched the brain off and watched it over 2 nights. Some great action scenes but yeah, there's no need for a 2 and a half hour zombie film.

The most impressive part is reading afterward that Chris D'elia was actually the chopper pilot and when his allegations came out, they digitally removed him from the film and the replacement actress shots all her scenes solo because of covid and was digitally added to scenes with other cast members :eek:

I'd read that about Tig Notaro before watching the movie. Don't think there was any scene where you see her in shot talking directly to someone.

The blurry effect cinematography got pretty annoying and it was far too long but it's not that bad a Friday night with beers movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    The most impressive part is reading afterward that Chris D'elia was actually the chopper pilot and when his allegations came out, they digitally removed him from the film and the replacement actress shots all her scenes solo because of covid and was digitally added to scenes with other cast members :eek:

I didn't even notice, they obviously did it fairly seamlessly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Alex Donaldson from VG247: "... the most comprehensive big event leak I've seen in years is currently happening behind-the-scenes. "

https://twitter.com/APZonerunner/status/1396731576180953089?s=19

https://twitter.com/APZonerunner/status/1396732181691740163?s=19

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,279 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's not much of a leak if it's behind the scenes and nobody is reporting it :confused:

As no one else reporting anything probably a small timer trying to get some buzz around their site/blog.

Alex Donaldson from VG247: "... the most comprehensive big event leak I've seen in years is currently happening behind-the-scenes. "

https://twitter.com/APZonerunner/status/1396731576180953089?s=19

https://twitter.com/APZonerunner/status/1396732181691740163?s=19
    I've had to read that a few times and I still don't understand what he's saying??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,279 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I've had to read that a few times and I still don't understand what he's saying??

He has managed to use twitter's 280 character limit to say absolutely nothing. It's so absurd that it borders on art.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,034 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Probably gonna be one of those things where he waits for someone else to leak the leak first before he then says what he knows so he doesn't get the blame.
    As of now it's like an announcement of an announcement. Surprised he didn't say "I'm making a big announcement regarding a leak tomorrow" then just post that same tweet when the time came

Or microsoft's 'megaton' announcement that would be a massive event in the history of videogames. The return of a videogame icon in an incredible new form

Pac-Man championship edition.

Great game and all but the way Microsoft hyped it was nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

It's looking that it could be this
    https://twitter.com/FanbyteMedia/status/1396855115965898752?s=19

Also statement from Ubisoft with regards to changes they have made since the allegations last year
    https://twitter.com/Ubisoft/status/1396859857815457793?s=19

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Guillemot still being in his position robs the statement of any import IMO. He should have stepped down, staying only undermines the message. A far cry from Iwata leading the charge and taking a paycut for underperforming (obviously big difference between a poor financial year and institutional abuse)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Surely not, how could (yet another) FF game be a "big event". It would be like saying the same and then releasing Yakuza 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Surely not, how could (yet another) FF game be a "big event". It would be like saying the same and then releasing Yakuza 7.

I don't think it's the game itself that's supposed to be the big event, but rather it was due to be revealed during E3. The whole E3 presentation leaked (according to some).

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Really rather see them show more of Hellblade II than a final fantasy game...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Star Lord wrote: »
    Really rather see them show more of Hellblade II than a final fantasy game...

Wrong Ninja team ;) Ninja Theory is Hellblade, Team Ninja is Ninja Gaiden / NiOh.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Have gotten through a fair chunk of Press Reset at this stage. Actually a fairly anxiety-inducing read at times - hearing some of these stories and knowing a bad ending looms (even with some successful games) is surprisingly stressful. Another reminder of what a ****show America is when it comes to things like employee healthcare. But it is all counterbalanced with stories of success from the ashes, and can be inspiring to hear in quick succession how many indie commercial or creative successes rise from closed studios.

I will say the book does a great job at not drifting too much into the auteur stories. Sure, you have Ken Levine and Warren Spector’s stories, but it follows a lot of less high profile staff to great effect.

Definitely worth a read for anyone interested.

Interesting report here on a Valve Switch-like console, which would explain Newell’s recent cryptic comments about consoles.

Feels like Valve have taken a lot of shots at hardware with very little success (Index aside?), so curious how this one pans out if accurate.

https://twitter.com/arstechnica/status/1397272770220806159?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 29,034 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Probably not a great idea to buy it if you're just buying for their own games the way people buy Nintendo consoles for Nintendo games.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I'd consider this if it's not outrageously priced. I have found the switch to be a fantastic handheld and I've a stupidly big steam library, maybe a third of which could go very well on something like this. And considering how little I play steam on my PC (because I generally do projects/browse web most of the time instead) this would be great for trips/holidays etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

There are decent amount of low-demand linux native games now that support controller. Terraria, mark of the ninja, valheim, legend of grimrock. Proton can take care of the rest, too. But is a pseudo tablet form factor that big a deal? It's a hard sell compared to just getting a damn laptop and a wireless input devices.

But is a pseudo tablet form factor that big a deal? It's a hard sell compared to just getting a damn laptop and a wireless input devices.

85 million Switches and counting would suggest it's a reasonably big deal :) Personally (and I'm sure for a lot of people) an all-in-one portable console and a laptop are entirely different propositions.

Whether Valve could successfully copy the success of the Switch is an entirely different question, mind you.

• Advertisement

This could be a contender. Valve would need to get their marketing and price right instead of sending it out to die google style like they have done in the past.

There's no doubt this will have an incredible library of games. With the PS and XBox now pretty much just different versions of a box that plays all the same games, exclusives are less important. However a steam enabled device would have a small advantage here since the PC gets most indie games first. And then there's the modding possibilities.

There's a massive demand from kids to get into PC gaming and it's usually prohibitively expensive or too complicated for their parents. All my friends kids keep asking me about how to get into PC gaming as do the parents. They are all watching streamers playing indie games that are only on PC and mods. This might be a cheap and uncomplicated way to break into that market.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭quokula

Nintendo have been making successful handhelds for decades and remain the only company to have had any true success in that market. Everyone from Sega to Sony to Atari and others have tried and failed over the years. Numerous handheld gaming PCs already exist, from the Razer Edge to the Onexplayer, none of which have set the world on fire, and mobile phones with gaming controllers built in from the Sony Xperia Play to the nGage were all failures too.

That, combined with Valve's hardware track record, wouldn't fill me with confidence, but you never know of course.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Steam kinda, already dipped a toe into the "play your stuff on the TV" with the Steam Link; I bought one when it was dirt-cheap and ran fairly well across the wireless to be fair. The main technical flaw was some games were more compatible with the custom controller than others - but that's understandable enough. You still had to spin up your PC first, start Steam etc so that extra bit of fussing quickly ebbed the enthusiasm - especially against the Switch which just worked, its portability being a huge bonus.

Maybe valve could team up with SNK and give us he Neo geo pocket 2.

The NGP was the Dreamcast of handhelds.

The Alien Isolation team at Creative Assembly are still working on their tactical FPS by the looks of some job vacancy listings which were posted with a teaser screenshot. It doesn't tell us anything really, other than it's still being worked on. Lots of Sega Easter eggs, but I'm going to assume they've nothing to do with the game itself.

554168.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,845 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

An absolutely pointless addition, that I will of course buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Would 100% buy a SteamPal if I could play my couch coop steam games on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭McFly85

Sounds great, but price will probably be an issue. The switch could be relatively cheap because it’s not using cutting edge hardware, which you’d expect this to be more powerful and somewhat futureproof, as the games aren’t being developed specifically for its specs.

It looks like Uncharted 4 is the next Sony exclusive to head to PC (PC Gamer).

• Advertisement

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    It looks like Uncharted 4 is the next Sony exclusive to head to PC (PC Gamer).

Strange one. But welcome even if I think the game is really dull.

Advertisement