Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game News 2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Strange one. But welcome even if I think the game is really dull.

Yeah, it wouldn't have been my choice. I can only think the corporate types picked this with the impending Uncharted movie in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Place your bets for Epic store only.

Place your bets for Epic store only.

Wouldn't be surprised, although the previous PS ports have done really well for them on Steam.

Bloomberg (and others) are reporting that the new Switch could be out as soon as September, and that an announcement is expected in the next few weeks, likely before E3.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

it was noted during the Epic Apple trial Sony didnt take the Epic cash for HZD and Death Stranding.

Would imagine Sony have their own marketting guys working out the numbers and felt it was best to go to both Steam and Epic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,279 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

dreamers75 wrote: »
    it was noted during the Epic Apple trial Sony didnt take the Epic cash for HZD and Death Stranding.

Would imagine Sony have their own marketting guys working out the numbers and felt it was best to go to both Steam and Epic.

According to Sony their PC strategy is to build brand awareness. You don't build that by locking your game to a store with a tiny user base.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

With a PC, does it really makes any difference whether you buy it from Epic or Stream?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,279 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

With a PC, does it really makes any difference whether you buy it from Epic or Stream?

Yes. Epic store's features are pretty anemic compared to steam. So if you have a choice and the price is the same you go for the one that is the better experience which is steam.

It's like when I had a ps3 and 360. I'd get multiplayer on 360 because all my friends were there and I didn't have to deal with how awful PSN was in comparison to xbla.

And morally you also aren't supporting tencent and by proxy one of the most dangerous and evil regimes in the world right now.

Sony's pc strategy is visibility and right now you aren't getting that by saddling yourself to the epic store.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Yes, but not to the extent that some PC gamers make out. At the end of the day you aren’t being forced to buy a 300 or 400 quid box to play an ‘exclusive’ game, you are being forced to use a different launcher.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

About the same amount of difference as whether you buy your nike air max in Champion Sports or JD's.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ubisoft's latest Film adaptation looks much more fun than its last; though TBH I'd never even heard of "Werewolves Within", until I realised it was a VR game and went "ahhhh.... right"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

TBH, Ubisoft claiming ownership of Werewolf is a bit rich anyway - that (and its close relation / predecessor Mafia) has been a popular party and group game for decades, well before a game company put a tacky VR coat on it :pac:

Bah. Creative Assembly have wrapped up work on Three Kingdoms, and announced that the team is moving onto their next project.... another game based on The Romance of the Three Kingdoms. :rolleyes: Obviously it did well in China, so they're doubling down on it. I was hoping for a Medieval 3, but this likely means no new major historical game for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    Bah. Creative Assembly have wrapped up work on Three Kingdoms, and announced that the team is moving onto their next project.... another game based on The Romance of the Three Kingdoms. :rolleyes: Obviously it did well in China, so they're doubling down on it. I was hoping for a Medieval 3, but this likely means no new major historical game for years.

Everything they do that isn’t a sequel to Alien Isolation is a crime against humanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Warhammer 3 this year, and then probably a new Saga game next year.

The Saga games don't tend to be game wise much smaller but are generally set over a shorter historical period. Game wise I don't see too much difference between three kingdoms vs Troy, and then they went back and made Fall of the samurai a saga game so you can no longer buy it as DLC just a separate game. Saga really dosen't diminish it is all I'm saying so while it might not be Medival 3 it could still be good.

Might do a Total War Saga: Crusades or 100 year war, and then after a load of DLC for Warhammer 3 they have more people there to move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Its a shame they stopped progressing up through the periods and experimenting with gameplay styles after Shogun 2 and fall of the samurai. The Total war franchise feels like they've been playing it safe for quite some time now.

I know naval battles were *controversial* and sieges buggy. But it kinda sucks that one has been removed and the other neutered the hell in a lot of the current titles.

I was really hoping years ago they'd announce "America Total War" and did the USA from revolution all the way to the civil war. Fall of the samuari convinced me at one point thats what they were eyeing cause that ends in a civil war mode which works quite nicely.

The DLC was always a big part of Total war games, this was doubly true for Warhammer. I'd guess that Three Kindoms really fell down there on sales and that's why they're moving on. Probably same for the recent saga games but at least those weren't meant to have this long support.

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    Its a shame they stopped progressing up through the periods and experimenting with gameplay styles after Shogun 2 and fall of the samurai. The Total war franchise feels like they've been playing it safe for quite some time now.

I know naval battles were *controversial* and sieges buggy. But it kinda sucks that one has been removed and the other neutered the hell in a lot of the current titles.

I was really hoping years ago they'd announce "America Total War" and did the USA from revolution all the way to the civil war. Fall of the samuari convinced me at one point thats what they were eyeing cause that ends in a civil war mode which works quite nicely.

Troy got a boost to Sieges (considering it's the main point of the story), and Warhammer 3 is getting a big boost to siege as well. AI still cheats like most parts of the game.

It was disappointing about naval especially with Troy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,176 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Belgian comic artist and video game developer Benoît Sokal has died. I only recognise his name from the Syberia series, but he worked on other games too.

Sorry - thought I had replied.
    Varik wrote: »
    The Saga games don't tend to be game wise much smaller but are generally set over a shorter historical period. Game wise I don't see too much difference between three kingdoms vs Troy, and then they went back and made Fall of the samurai a saga game so you can no longer buy it as DLC just a separate game. Saga really dosen't diminish it is all I'm saying so while it might not be Medival 3 it could still be good.

The thing about the Saga titles is that they tend to use older engines and re-use assets from previous titles. Pedantry on my part possibly, but I think the grand historic titles should be at the cutting edge, with the largest teams working on them. As it turns out, it may be all moot anyway... The Irish lad that used to work for CA and now runs the Republic of Play YouTube channel (forget his name) thinks the new 3K game will be a Saga title in all but name.

I suppose that then begs the question, who'd buy a new 3K title when the first was abandoned and had promised DLC for it scrapped? Especially when the new game is likely to tread very similar ground to the first game. Seems like an odd move, but if it doesn't affect the next main historic title, then they can have at it.

I suppose that then begs the question, who'd buy a new 3K title when the first was abandoned and had promised DLC for it scrapped? Especially when the new game is likely to tread very similar ground to the first game. Seems like an odd move, but if it doesn't affect the next main historic title, then they can have at it.

Sales might not have been strong, I mean they went and did the Epic exclusive/free thing for Troy after that Saga or otherwise.

Troy at least has the semi mystical semi fantasy aspect so they could have more fun with DLC and make then more appealing to buyers. It's not going to be Warhammer for the DLC but it's closer.

I think the worry is that they'd go more for another licensed game and take a safer approach, and just keep doing DLC for Warhammer in the meantime (not that I'd complain about more Warhammer DLC).

The MS Store love leaking stuff - a new university management sim is on the way from the folks behind Two Point Hospital; Two Point Campus! (Gematsu)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

The MS Store love leaking stuff - a new university management sim is on the way from the folks behind Two Point Hospital; Two Point Campus! (Gematsu)

Huh, sounds like it could be ab bit of fun. TPH was a nice update on the classic Theme Hospital gameplay....hope they learned from the annoying bugs and AI failures at its launch for this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

A campus; that feels like a really obvious segue for that type of management game yet I can't immediately think of it ever being done before.

...Hospital I somehow failed to get around to playing after being positively stoked for its arrival. Just got lost in the churn I guess. Was it any good in the end, he asks, eyeing up the Switch port.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,189 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

pixelburp wrote: »
    A campus; that feels like a really obvious segue for that type of management game yet I can't immediately think of it ever being done before.

...Hospital I somehow failed to get around to playing after being positively stoked for its arrival. Just got lost in the churn I guess. Was it any good in the end, he asks, eyeing up the Switch port.

I loved Theme Hospital back in the day. Man, I spent so many hours playing it on the PS1. Two Point Hospital was uploaded pretty quick to Xbox Game Pass and it's a total 'unofficial' sequel but I just never got into that much (for what it's worth) But, oddly enough since you mentioned it I am currently downloading it as we speak. Why not give it another bash.

I say if you can get it around €20 euro go for it. Certainly not worth a full price game, then again what is these days knowing you can wait a little and get things cheaper.

** edit **
    Giving it another chance and it's not too shabby actually.

First glimpse of Blanchett as Lilith in the Borderlands movie.

https://twitter.com/jamieleecurtis/status/1399698175611576320?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 29,033 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Forget the Snyder Cut, who wants an extended cut of the Super Mario Bros movie with about 20 mins of previously deleted scenes?

https://archive.org/details/super-mario-bros-1993-the-morton-jankel-cut-extended-vhs

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Forget the Snyder Cut, who wants an extended cut of the Super Mario Bros movie with about 20 mins of previously deleted scenes?

https://archive.org/details/super-mario-bros-1993-the-morton-jankel-cut-extended-vhs

Yanno, I've never actually seen the original. And I think I'd like to keep it that way.

In news, Dark Horse Comics have set up a gaming division with the intention of creating or licensing games from its portfolio of IPs (Hellboy, Umbrella Academy, Polar, Sin City, 300, Lady Killer, Emily the Strange etc). Obviously anything they produce is a long way off, but some of their series have serious potential as games in the right hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,033 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I remember there was a Hellboy game that didn't review well.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I renege there was a Hellboy game that didn't review well.

Yeah, I think I remember that. 2010ish?

Edit - Hellboy: The Science of Evil (2008)

• Advertisement

Klei's latest is out of Early Access (and coming to consoles on June 4th); it's a deck-builder, but centred around the idea of negotiation and persuasion than combat. As always the game looks like every other Klei release in terms of aesthetic :D

Advertisement