Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game News 2.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,743 ✭✭✭✭Penn

God of War 2 pushed to 2022. Shouldn't have said 2021 to begin with, was always unlikely to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Penn wrote: »
    God of War 2 pushed to 2022. Shouldn't have said 2021 to begin with, was always unlikely to happen.

https://twitter.com/SonySantaMonica/status/1400135437763584002?s=19

Also worth noting that it's coming to PS4 along with gran turismo 7

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    Also worth noting that it's coming to PS4 along with gran turismo 7

Makes sense considering the ongoing PS5 shortage.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

After the horror show that was Cyberpunk's ports to the original PS4/XB1, I'm really nervous about seeing how PD can pull this off. Sure, GT Sport looks great (especially in Photo Mode, but I guess it helps when you've got <3 cars to render instead of 20), but I'm worried about the physics. There's some tracks *cough*Brands Hatch*cough* that are just un-raceable online, because the archaic collision physics mean that the meta is to do your best Senna at the 1990 Japanese GP impersonation and just shove your opponent onto the grass/gravel.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,539 ✭✭✭✭Varik

wes wrote: »
    Makes sense considering the ongoing PS5 shortage.

There might be a shortage but the PS5 has still outsold what the PS4 managed at the same time in its lifetime.

Which puts it as the newest fastest selling console, so without the shortage it'd have done even more but it's still got a huge base.

Everything being crossgen is more to do with ease of development than lack of potential market. They also can lock in more of the transitioning players who've not got a new console yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Varik wrote: »
    There might be a shortage but the PS5 has still outsold what the PS4 managed at the same time in its lifetime.

Which puts it as the newest fastest selling console, so without the shortage it'd have done even more but it's still got a huge base.

Everything being crossgen is more to do with ease of development than lack of potential market. They also can lock in more of the transitioning players who've not got a new console yet.

Yea this is a point that most people seem to completely miss or ignore. No new generation of consoles have ever been as similar to their predecessors as these have.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,743 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Markitron wrote: »
    Yea this is a point that most people seem to completely miss or ignore. No new generation of consoles have ever been as similar to their predecessors as these have.

I think so long as the new-gen consoles don't lose anything trying to make the game cross-gen, then it's fine. I think they mentioned that that's why Returnal and Ratchet & Clank aren't cross-gen, because the last-gen wouldn't be capable of handling certain systems in the game which heavily rely on SSD and stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

The one thing about the last GoW, was that there was an abundance of obviously disguised loading scenes (mini cutcenes of squeezing between rocks, opening doors, etc). It'll be interesting to see how this is handled in the new vs old consoles. It'll look very strange if they leave it in, but the scenes just play out quicker.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

They will be left in. Very much doubt there will be a different sku with mechanical differences.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,921 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Nvidia have announced that they're partnering with Valve to get DLSS working on Steam Proton (Linux). This will surely have positive implications for the rumoured Steam handheld device.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Sweet. Wish they'd work on it for native games, too. As well as some of their other features that they could open up like their noise cancelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Upcoming games from 2K games have been leaked. Slightly confirmed by Jason Schrier

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1400587141743353860?s=19
    • NBA 2K22 - Dirk Nowitzki will be this years cover athlete. EDIT: Could be the cover of another Legend Edition, with other athletes on other editions, as some in the comments have mentioned.
    • Wonderlands: Codename Daffodil - It's a Borderlands spin-off title featuring Tiny Tina. The final name could also be "Tiny Tina's Wonderlands" (as this is the name that Gearbox already trademarked.) Seems to be the same style as all other Borderlands games with "Multiclass-Heroes" to play as. This spin-off is rumoured since last year, so I guess this isn't really new. Reveal should be expected at E3. EDIT: Here's the trademark for Wonderlands
    • New Firaxis Game - New turn-based action game using Marvel property. Source described it as "XCOM with Marvel heroes". Seems like some famous actors are voicing the characters.
    • Codename Vol - New action game, seems to be in really early development. Logo looks similar to the Fallout-Logo. No final name yet. Source described it as "Cthulhu meets Saints Row". Game looked pretty unfinished in the trailer. Sadly, my source didn't know which studio is developing this title. I think it could be Hangar13, as they had a leaked contract last year that stated that they are working on a "open-world sci-fi title with supernatural elements".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,588 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

X-Com with Marvel sounds like something imaginative and interesting so it's probably not true. I can see the potential for something cool though.

Borderlands centred around Tiny Tina sounds like an absolutely awful idea. In a series that flirts very close to the line of homicidal irritation already, spinning off of one of its more annoying characters doesn't inspire.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,921 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Upcoming games from 2K games have been leaked. Slightly confirmed by Jason Schrier

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1400587141743353860?s=19

Damnit Eoin, Marvel XCom is one of my Bingo picks!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

pixelburp wrote: »
    X-Com with Marvel sounds like something imaginative and interesting so it's probably not true. I can see the potential for something cool though.

It worked for Super Mario against all odds.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I always like the idea of Xcom but not into RTS games. A Marvel version might peak my interest though, can;t be worse than the Avengers game anyway riiiiiight?

NBA 2K22, Jesus, I dread to think how they will take an absolutely brilliant game and beat it to death with microtransactions to a point where it just isn't fun to play.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Gears Tactics also did it extremely well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,588 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It worked for Super Mario against all odds.

That the tactics genre has a Best in Class with Mario is a weird development I doubt many could have predicted.

Can we call it Mario magic? I mean you could say the same for fighting games, racing games and golf (and maybe RPGs but they haven't been the best in a long time).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I always like the idea of Xcom but not into RTS games. A Marvel version might peak my interest though, can;t be worse than the Avengers game anyway riiiiiight?

I wouldn’t call modern XCom a real time strategy game - it’s turn based for one (although I’ve made the same mistake calling Civ an RTS)! It’s part of an entirely different tactics genre - and one that thankfully translates reasonably well to controllers, so definitely worth giving it a shot if you have a console version in your library somewhere.

• Advertisement

Turn Based > Real Time

Fight me. I'm right.

Turn Based > Real Time

Fight me. I'm right.

Wrong. But it depends on the player and the games being compared. A boring answer perhaps, but both bring different emphasises to the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Turn Based > Real Time

Fight me. I'm right.

It's apples and oranges, you can't compare something like starcraft and xcom

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Markitron wrote: »
    It's apples and oranges, you can't compare something like starcraft and xcom

Apples are clearly better than oranges.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Turn Based > Real Time

Fight me. I'm right.

Will we be fighting in real time or turn based?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Boards.ie is an innately turn-based platform. Someone launches an attack, such as a scathing post about Ace Combat 7. The target then has as much time as they need to respond - they can either choose to defend (posting a lengthy post defending AC7) or counter-attack (launch a scathing, unprompted criticism of Days Gone). The original attacker then has the option of defending (doubling down), or counter-counter-attacking (personal abuse). The fight ends when someone hits the end turn button (close account, lock thread, forum ban).

That’s not even going into the poor souls at Boards HQ who spend the whole day rolling dice to determine the level of thanks each post gets.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Wrong. But it depends on the player and the games being compared. A boring answer perhaps, but both bring different emphasises to the table.

How dare you try to simplify things. This is a King vs. Tayto level debate and won't be answered until blood is drawn or someone invokes Godwin's Law.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,106 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

How dare you try to simplify things. This is a King vs. Tayto level debate and won't be answered until blood is drawn or someone invokes Godwin's Law.

Would it not be Tayto vs Northern Tayto?
    Or as they may say in the North, Tayto vs Southern Tayto.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I didn't play BL3 but Tiny Tina was best enjoyed in very short doses in BL2. A whole game with her would be head-wrecking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Would it not be Tayto vs Northern Tayto?
    Or as they may say in the North, Tayto vs Southern Tayto.
    Freestaytos tbh.

Advertisement