Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game News 2.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    But they aren't built around dicking the player over. Ok sometimes they are like the mimics but I kind of find them funny. It's just a more old school approach to difficulty when it actually demands a bit of mastery and knowledge on behalf of the player before letting them progress rather than handholding the player and dragging them towards the end with recharging health and over generous checkpoints.

The souls games have a reputation as being something like I Wanna Be the Guy maso platformers but they are perfectly fair and give the player all the tools they need to beat the game. The difference between souls and modern games is that turning the game on and playing the game for 8 hours will get you to the end with no effort whatsoever. Souls actually demands something back from the player.

I know they're not intentionally trying to trick the player, but that's not the point I was making of my perspective. I play games to relax and unwind. I'm the kind of guy that overall, carries his stress very easily - be it from work, personal relationships, games, sport etc. I've even ground my teeth during sleep from stress, requiring a brace. So a video game built around trial and error through "punishment" (for lack of a better word) is the antithesis of what I want from my hobby. I appreciate and understand the craft From Software bring, finding that fine line between difficult and ássholery, but it just ain't for me either.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If you've tried it and not liked it then fine.

It's just I don't like seeing the exaggerated reputation the games get put people off experiencing what for me are the finest games in the last 15 years.

The amount of **** I got for singing the praises of Demon's Souls back in 2007 but glad to see so many people that would have been like that before finally get into the games.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,742 ✭✭✭✭Penn

pixelburp wrote: »
    I know they're not intentionally trying to trick the player, but that's not the point I was making of my perspective. I play games to relax and unwind. I'm the kind of guy that overall, carries his stress very easily - be it from work, personal relationships, games, sport etc. I've even ground my teeth during sleep from stress, requiring a brace. So a video game built around trial and error through "punishment" (for lack of a better word) is the antithesis of what I want from my hobby. I appreciate and understand the craft From Software bring, finding that fine line between difficult and ássholery, but it just ain't for me either.

I get that. Sometimes I just want a bit of a walking-simulator game where I'm mostly just wandering through a good story with little effort by me, sometimes I just want to have godly powers and smack the sh*te out of goons with a motorbike that's also a chainsaw, and sometimes I just want to hit a dude with a manhole cover.

Some of the Soulsborne games, I definitely need to be in a particular mindset to want to start them, because I know the effort and attention they require and the level of patience I need to have to get through them. Whereas the likes of God of War, Devil May Cry, Spider-Man whatever, while some fights might be tough the games are still pretty easy and forgiving and give a sense of power and achievement more immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,919 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Feels good to get that off my chest. In actual Bloodborne news, rumours that a remaster will be released before end of the year. Grain of salt and all that. I actually did enjoy dark souls 2 more but i just enjoy swprd and board souls in general. I'd get bloodborne remaster day 1 regardless, still a fantastic game but poor DS2 gets **** on a lot.

I saw that Bloodborne rumour too - allegedly being done by someone other than Blue Point or From?

Get your blood pressure medication ready as more salt is needed for these rumours; id are working on a Quake revival, and EA Motive are reviving a favourite IP of theirs, with Dead Space being heavily touted.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

are you just listing all the games I love to p*** me off?

• Advertisement

gimli2112 wrote: »
    are you just listing all the games I love to p*** me off?

Sorry. I meant Commander Keen and Peggle.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,456 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I’d take a Peggle remaster, no question. 3D Audio Ode To Joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

For me the exception to the rule is Dark Souls 1, where that was a game that had a tremendous amount of scope outside its sheer difficulty to engage the player. Not just with the little lore bits but how engaging the process of discovery and exploration is in that game. I think the game was badly marketted with the 'prepare to die' stuff cause the exploration is the actual really rich part of that game, not the difficulty. Slow progress is still really enjoyable in that game

I'm fully sympathetic to the carrying of stress around tho, and also have that same bruxism issue. Which is a reason why I'm trying to put a pause on my FFXIV raiding cause I'm a healer doing callouts in a group that's struggling with their performance. It doesn't provide any scope for unwinding and there's all sort of drama bubbling under the surface with this group, which I feel particularly heavy as someone who's doing a lot of carrying. I'm going to permanently quit this game I think and just watch the cutscenes for Endwalker rather than play it

So yeah, gaming shouldn't be about **** like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Sekiro was too hard for me so that means it’s probably ****e. The rest of em are good, except DS2 and the second half of DS1, they are ****ter than Sekiro.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Sekiro for me was their easiest game. Saying that, it starts out the hardest. The fight at the top of ashina castle is the turning point. Up to there you are stumbling along and not understanding the mechanics. Get to that boss and you have to learn the game. It takes ages to beat that boss but I felt so much exhilaration slowly getting better and learning that boss. Once you beat him you feel like you can take on anything the game can throw at you from that point. Even the super bosses didn't give me too much trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

pixelburp wrote: »

I've spent the last while somewhat unsuccessfully looking for a game that I can 'Chill Out' with, as everything I seemed to be playing was grim and dark.

I've settled on the title 'escape from tarkov', which in retrospect has proven to be a grave error in judgement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭McFly85

The idea of a Bloodborne remaster seems like a cynical cash grab. It doesnt need to be remastered, it just needs to be patched for 60fps and released on PC.

But I'm weak and I'd probably buy it anyway :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I actually find the souls games relaxing and takes my mind off stress, mostly as I'd be concentrating so hard, i don't think about anything else :)

This is great news, Irish tourism board working with Ubi to entice people to visit Ireland after the success of the Irish DLC in AC Valhalla.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,106 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Be interesting to see the reaction if there's no upgrade path for Bloodborne.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    I saw that Bloodborne rumour too - allegedly being done by someone other than Blue Point or From?

Get your blood pressure medication ready as more salt is needed for these rumours; id are working on a Quake revival, and EA Massive are reviving a favourite IP of theirs, with Dead Space being heavily touted.

Dead Space was class but I'm hoping the revival is either Def Jam Fight for New York or NBA Live :)

Dead space to me is grand. I don't get the hype for it. Felt like poundland resident evil 4 mixed with poundland system shock. Its grand as I said but not something I'd be wanting to go back to. If they are reviving it then hopefully they can make it something special this time.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Dead Space was class but I'm hoping the revival is either Def Jam Fight for New York or NBA Live :)

Road Rash for me! :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Dead Space kinda suffered from the classic problem beset by horror movies where you just can't recreate the surprise and energy of those first scares. Familiarity, plus executive demands to go bigger and louder meant diminishing returns each time Visceral returned to the well. Rare enough horror sequels capture that essence second, third time of asking.

Apart from his silly name (apologies to all Isaacs reading) I really liked the central character.
    Weapons and upgrades were all fun, combat was solid, first one was creepy throughout. kind of reminded me of the movie Event Horizon. I even liked the story and probably would have watched the cutscenes if there had been any. There weren't or if there were, I skipped them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Dead space to me is grand. I don't get the hype for it. Felt like poundland resident evil 4 mixed with poundland system shock. Its grand as I said but not something I'd be wanting to go back to. If they are reviving it then hopefully they can make it something special this time.
    To put a slightly more positive spin on this, I'd liken it to Event Horizon - a thoroughly enjoyable ride which I view with extreme fondness but if you were to put me on the spot and dig into it, I'd admit it's not really a great film.

That being said, the sequel(s) are a different story. I avoided Dead Space 2 when it first came out because a lot of the chat surrounding it was that it had shed the horror elements and gone more action-based, something that bothers me immensely if not done correctly. Since then the negative opinions seem to have softened but having finally played it recently, I can't argue with the original take at all - it's just...not scary. The environments are too bright, the surrounding population too non-zero, the antagonists too comical, your suit too sci-fi power-fantasy and your weapons too militaristic. Don't get me wrong, I had fun with it but for it to not only lose the horror elements it originally had but also its survival-like elements along the way is a terrible shame.

In short, to go back to the movie comparison, if the first game was Alien then the sequel isn't Aliens, it's ****ing Alien Resurrection.

• Advertisement

I really liked the sequels but will admit they were a departure from the original. This applies both to Dead Space and Alien.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,367 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

If its another Dead Space 3, i'd rather it stay dead.

I think Event Horizon is poo but that's a whole other discussion. Give me Dead Space over that.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Event Horizon starts really good, but ends a bit ****e.

I loved Dead Space 1, but never played the other two. Its clunky as hell, but had a really good atmosphere (or lack of one...har har!! :pac:).

Would a new Dead Space even have any senior members of the original team working on it? The Callisto Protocol sure will.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,456 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    Would a new Dead Space even have any senior members of the original team working on it? The Callisto Protocol sure will.

I think this is a factor with most series / franchise reboots or belated sequels. Even the likes of the new Mass Effect are being made by majorly transformed studios. Jason Schreier’s Press Reset is a great study of just how widely creatives scatter in the wind after many big projects.

I think this is a factor with most series / franchise reboots or belated sequels. Even the likes of the new Mass Effect are being made by majorly transformed studios. Jason Schreier’s Press Reset is a great study of just how widely creatives scatter in the wind after many big projects.

Absolutely. Just pointing out that The Callisto Protocol could well have more Dead Space DNA than the Dead Space reboot (if it's even a reboot).

In daily Bloodborne news, Sony have revealed that it's the number one game streamed on PS Now on PC. Come on Sony, you know what you have to do!

you'd have to wonder why they haven't done something with Bloodborne at this point. They're certainly not averse to screwing us out of money

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Kiith wrote: »
    Event Horizon starts really good, but ends a bit ****e.

I loved Dead Space 1, but never played the other two. Its clunky as hell, but had a really good atmosphere (or lack of one...har har!! :pac:).

The whole movie is ****e. Most over rated sci-fi/horror at the time that's only got worse with age.

• Advertisement

gimli2112 wrote: »
    you'd have to wonder why they haven't done something with Bloodborne at this point. They're certainly not averse to screwing us out of money

Probably a few reasons.

From are a small company so can't focus on a PC port. It would have to be farmed out to a third party who would then be working on an unfamiliar code base from scratch. It's not like a big Sony team taking it on, From were the contractor.

Also could be issues with porting the engine to PC.

Advertisement