Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game News 2.0

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

This is the main reason why I keep my consoles. I don't expect consoles data to transition from 1 generation to the next. PS4 and PS5 would have different OS's. Xbox One and Xbox Series are both off Windows 10 aren't they? So essentially their transferability should function similarly to PC gaming.
    I can use saves from 1993 DOS doom on my current computer. I understand perhaps new versions like DMC special editions not having save transfers if they have new set of achievements, though. Just so they don't get a big dump of achievements upon loading the save :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

CatInABox wrote: »
    Yes, PS4 versions will be fine, but there's a question mark over any game that gets a free upgrade.

It's not a problem long term of course, once games are next gen exclusive this will stop being an issue, but for now it's just weird.

Back compat/cross-gen always seems to be all anyone talks about when new consoles are out for some reason, it always dies down after a year or so. But yea Sony are being really ****ing cryptic and weird with PS5.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,702 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It's more important this time because there's nothing worth playing on the new consoles other than old games :pac:

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's more important this time because there's nothing worth playing on the new consoles other than old games :pac:

So its exactly like every new console released after the N64 then :)

I used a memory card device for the my original PS3 and played a ton of older games on it with my original saves. Unfortunately that console got stolen and since then cnsole support for their older systems is abysmal. Why can't you play literally every PS game on a PS4? Any technical reason is a lie and any cost:profit analysis for Sony's sake isn't my concern as a customer. Just one of the 100s of reasons I'm glad I dropped consoles after 7th gen.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,702 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Markitron wrote: »
    So its exactly like every new console released after the N64 then :)

You say that like the Dreamcast, Gamecube and PSP didn't have awesome launches.

You say that like the Dreamcast, Gamecube and PSP didn't have awesome launches.

I don't count handhelds, Rogue Squadron was the only good GC launch title and Soul Calibur does nothing for me.

Handhelds are awesome, the DC had more than Soul Calibur and Luigi's mansion and especially super monkey ball are great :P

Actually think Rogue Squadron doesn't hold up well at all. Not much fun to play but was pretty at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭recyclops

I was under the impression I could boot up my ps5 on day one and just redownload all my ps4 games that I purchased on day one and just go back to where I was, is this not the case?

probably my own fault for assuming it would be i went and sold my ps4 in July or so as I didnt bother looking

• Registered Users Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭quokula

recyclops wrote: »
    I was under the impression I could boot up my ps5 on day one and just redownload all my ps4 games that I purchased on day one and just go back to where I was, is this not the case?

probably my own fault for assuming it would be i went and sold my ps4 in July or so as I didnt bother looking

Your PS4 games are probably fine, though it hasn't been confirmed for certain yet.

What has been confirmed is that PS5 versions of games that previously released on PS4 will not necessarily be compatible with the PS4 save.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭quokula

I used a memory card device for the my original PS3 and played a ton of older games on it with my original saves. Unfortunately that console got stolen and since then cnsole support for their older systems is abysmal. Why can't you play literally every PS game on a PS4? Any technical reason is a lie and any cost:profit analysis for Sony's sake isn't my concern as a customer. Just one of the 100s of reasons I'm glad I dropped consoles after 7th gen.

Why can't I jam an Apple 2 floppy disc into my iPhone? Any technical explanation is a lie and was just a cost:profit analysis by Apple that it wasn't worth their investment.

You've answered your own question. Writing an emulator, no matter what the people complaining about the Mario 3D All Stars game say :rolleyes:, is a difficult, long and expensive process. And Sony would be writing it so you can play the old games you already own and not sell you new ones. It doesn't make sense financial. And the PS3 being so fully functional didn't help that console sell.

recyclops wrote: »

You can absolutely do this, no is saying you can't. You will need PS plus to sync your saves though.

There is a lot of disinformation flying around this forum about the PS5 atm

quokula wrote: »
    Why can't I jam an Apple 2 floppy disc into my iPhone? Any technical explanation is a lie and was just a cost:profit analysis by Apple that it wasn't worth their investment.
    Except the 'floppy disc' in PS is their Blu Ray drive which can 100% read the oldest DVDs and CD-ROMs around, including every standard disc game. All the digital games too, of course.
    Sony would be writing it so you can play the old games you already own and not sell you new ones. It doesn't make sense financial.
    Exactly my point. What I'd expect (being able to play playstation games on a playstation console) is unprofitable to Sony. That is a disaster to me as a potential customer. I just looked through their store and old games have inconsistent compatibility. I see more PS3 compatibility than PS4. I was right to skip 8th gen.

It's always bothered me paying for basic services and functionality like that just so you can take part in a hardware manufacturer's monopolistic store front that advertises to you.

Oh wait, it is free! On PC...

You can absolutely do this, no is saying you can't. You will need PS plus to sync your saves though.

There is a lot of disinformation flying around this forum about the PS5 atm

Never paid for plus and aint going to start i suppose least stuff i have bought will show up

• Registered Users Posts: 13,765 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I honestly think ye folk who demand/want backwards compatability are like the woke crowd, insofar as ye are small but vocal. I have access to loads of PS3 games on the PS4 via Now, and even though I loved some of those games, I've no interest in playing an old game on a newer console. Same with the PS5, no interest in playing older games on it, although it may be required due to a poor launch lineup. But even so, once the PS5 games start rolling in, I won't even fathom playing a PS4 or older game on it. Christ, I can't even play most "remasters" unless they did the Bluepoint or Toys for Bob route and completely remake older games.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,577 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I honestly think ye folk who demand/want backwards compatability are like the woke crowd, insofar as ye are small but vocal. I have access to loads of PS3 games on the PS4 via Now, and even though I loved some of those games, I've no interest in playing an old game on a newer console. Same with the PS5, no interest in playing older games on it, although it may be required due to a poor launch lineup. But even so, once the PS5 games start rolling in, I won't even fathom playing a PS4 or older game on it. Christ, I can't even play most "remasters" unless they did the Bluepoint or Toys for Bob route and completely remake older games.

Dude, you really have a chip on your shoulder with this whole "woke" thing. What's that about?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,765 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    Dude, you really have a chip on your shoulder with this whole "woke" thing. What's that about?

I hate being told what to do or say or think. It was just a reference anyway, not a dig at them, ie: I believe both the woke crowd and people who demand and/or use backwards compatibility are the same re: small but vocal. Don't read too much into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

It's weird, I read more people giving out about people being woke than I read people actually being woke.

• Advertisement

I hate being told what to do or say or think. It was just a reference anyway, not a dig at them, ie: I believe both the woke crowd and people who demand and/or use backwards compatibility are the same re: small but vocal. Don't read too much into it.

I just hate companies making people to buy the same product again even if they have bought it digitally from them before. Especially nowadays when people tend to not hang onto machines.

We know the technology is there so it's just a massive cash grab which is fairly ****e for your consumers.

I'd be as far from woke as you can get haha

I have found recently that 'woke' now just means a bunch of people that you disagree with rather than any kind of social/political affiliation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I think the emphasis on backwards compatibility is more reflection on how gamers have matured (bit of a contradiction, I know).

It was grand when we were all reliant on parents / santa to buy us consoles and games, and we didn't really care where the money for them came from, but as the average gamer ages up, you appreciate the investment you've made in your collection, so I dont think its unreasonable for folks to express a desire to have access to games they've sunk money into. We're also at a sort of crossroads now, where people have made a bit of a transition to having a digital library, and the idea of having that access curtailed, or worse yet, being forced to buy access via a 'remaster' or compatible version is quite rightly,objectionable.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Leaving the whole woke bit aside I agree with Potential. I don't play ex-gen games a lot. REsi 4 is a horror show for me personally with the controls. I like shiny and new. The only PS3 games I played to any great extent are probably the Dead Spaces

I have found recently that 'woke' now just means a bunch of people that you disagree with rather than any kind of social/political affiliation.

It's the name you give to people calling you out for your intolerance/racism.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

In this case though, it's not really about backward compatibility (which is actually nice, the Witcher 2 and RDR are something else on the One X), but a lack of compatibility between the PS4 and any PS5 upgrades. Take, for instance, the Dirt 5 upgrade. If you're playing through that on your PS4, and then eventually upgrade to your PS5, then all your progress is lost? I find that incredible that people think that's acceptable.

How is the Cyberpunk upgrade going to go ahead? The upgrade won't be available on launch, so if you're playing the PS4 version on your PS5, will there come a day where suddenly you automatically get the upgrade and all your progress is gone? Or are you stuck playing the PS4 version while a better looking and performing version is out there?

It seems insane to me.

It's the name you give to people calling you out for your intolerance/racism.

Edit: nm I think I misunderstood you here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

but a lack of compatibility between the PS4 and any PS5 upgrades. It seems insane to me.

We had this already with TLOU and having to buy the remastered version on PS4. It's certainly not consumer friendly but if I want to upgrade a game bad enough I'll get it.
    I don't accept that the practice would die if gimli2212 didn't do this.

In this case though, it's not really about backward compatibility (which is actually nice, the Witcher 2 and RDR are something else on the One X), but a lack of compatibility between the PS4 and any PS5 upgrades. Take, for instance, the Dirt 5 upgrade. If you're playing through that on your PS4, and then eventually upgrade to your PS5, then all your progress is lost? I find that incredible that people think that's acceptable.

How is the Cyberpunk upgrade going to go ahead? The upgrade won't be available on launch, so if you're playing the PS4 version on your PS5, will there come a day where suddenly you automatically get the upgrade and all your progress is gone? Or are you stuck playing the PS4 version while a better looking and performing version is out there?

It seems insane to me.

I am fairly confident CPDR would be able to provide a solution, they have cross-saves between the Switch and PC for The Witcher

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,577 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

gimli2112 wrote: »
    We had this already with TLOU and having to buy the remastered version on PS4. It's certainly not consumer friendly but if I want to upgrade a game bad enough I'll get it.
    I don't accept that the practice would die if gimli2212 didn't do this.

Wait... There's a gimli2112 and a gimli2212? :eek:

Advertisement