Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game News 2.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

as I said on its own thread; there is no reason to buy this even if you don't own a Switch. If you are without a Switch you're better off just buying the OG model as the "upgrades" appear to be purely cosmetic and an OG Switch is €50 cheaper. If you're looking for an LAN cable, you can get an adapter for about 20-odd quid. If you need to have 64GB storage, you can buy a 32GB memory card for about a tenner and it'll bring you up to the same size.

Honestly if I was going to buy a Switch this would definitely be the one to get. LCD screens are garbage and 50 euros for the OLED screen is well worth it. I'd have my switch traded in against this if I wasn't saving big time at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

as I said on its own thread; there is no reason to buy this even if you don't own a Switch.

Strange comment, what if someo wanted a switch!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,043 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I've been waiting for the Switch Pro/2. This doesn't tempt me unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

I’m gonna assume this is gonna cost 380 quid? Seen has how its 50$ more expensive than the standard one in this US

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Test Drive Unlimited Solar Crown is out September 2022. Set in Hong Kong Island, it will be a 1:1 scale.

The cars look too fancy for my liking but devs said you can choose between Street and Smart so hopefully that means some NFS style tuners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,043 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

What's putting me off, aside from Supercar inclusion, is the opoening scene. The fastest Range Rover is the Sport SVR, 0-60 4.3 seconds, 176mph. The other looks like a DB11, 0-60 3.6-3.9 seconds, 208mph. But they both take off as if they are the same car... Yes, I am pedanting.

I can see the bigwigs in EA acting like the TV guys in South Park when they want to cancel a single channel (nipple flaps on shirt opened and twisting ensues) when people continue to shout "REMASTER UNDERGROUND!!!".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Smyths have Switch Oled preorders open for €365, quite a bit cheaper than I expected.

https://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/video-games-and-tablets/nintendo-switch/nintendo-switch-consoles/nintendo-switch-oled-neon-red-blue/p/202450

Well worth the extra €35 over the standard model if you don't have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

petes wrote: »
    Strange comment, what if someo wanted a switch!

Way to take one sentence out of my entire post and take it out of context. I followed it up with "if you don't have a Switch you'd be better off just buying an OG model, since it's 50 euro cheaper" pointing out that there is no real significant reason to buy the new one unless you really want the extra shíte it's pedalling.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,919 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

So... we're back? This will take some getting used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Yep, there is probably a lot of games news to catch up on. Liking the new mobile site though and way more easier to add links

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Not liking desktop or mobile versions at all so far. Any idea where followed forums list has disappeared to?

At boards.ie, click on the My Threads tab. Annoyingly it doesn't have is own URL, so I can't bookmark it. A small thing, but for the worse. 🤷

Edit: Actually you can bookmark it - https://boards.ie/discussions/bookmarked

Cheers Crispy but that lists threads not forums - in the old version you could click on your user icon and it would show a list of forums you followed (or bookmarked?) - I thought the 'My Forums' tab would list them but doesn't.

And yep I realise this is not about gaming news but not many ppl awake at this hour to ask. 😊

Apologies, I totally misread your post. I think it should be available if you go to https://boards.ie/categories and then click the "View" drop down. "Following" is an option, but it's giving me an error at the moment. I guess it's to be expected that there'll be some teething problems.

I'm only on desktop and it's currently worse than it was. But again, hopefully just teething problems.

Cheers I think that might be it alright, Categories - View - Following, not working for me either. Yep fair enough it's only just gone live.

Also, doesn't seem possible to edit the quoted part of my message? As in remove your response to Eoin. This is going to be fun until things settle down. 🙂

Hellloooo.... Wow, not liking this mobile view, will check desktop later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭recyclops

Desktop is like a more magnified version of the mobile app, really annoying. hopefully get used to it I used to love just clicking away all my most read threads to last read post and catching up in the morning, just need to figure that out

I'm liking the desktop site better, much easier to navigate but missing the new reaction buttons. I just have Flag, Quote and Like. Ah, teething issues like mentioned.

In Gaming News, Death Stranding Directors cut announced for 24th September. New missions, mechanics, QOL improvements, new ways to move cargo (catapult), racing series added and some other stuff. Sounds like a great update and just costs a tenner to upgrade if you have the original. Happy out with that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

In other gaming news Nickelodeon have announced a Smash Bros clone called Nickelodeon All Star Brawl.

But wait! This actually looks really good and will feature roll back netcode so whoever is developing it actually knows fighting games so it shouldn't be like that awful Playstation one.

In terms of charater selection there's some really deep cuts with more to be announced:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Just treat the new touch site like a point and click game where you have to click randomly around for ages before you find the object you want to interact with!

(This would be a perfect place for the pac-man emoji. RIP, old friend)

• Advertisement

I'll give you a LOL but yes, a shadow of its former pacman self.

The desktop site is missing so many of the old features, let alone the supposed new ones.

In gaming news, Netflix are expanding into video games, Ghostwire Tokyo has been delayed until 2022, Company of Heroes 3 was announced, and Denuvo is still a piece of **** (the cracked PC version of RE8 runs significantly better than the legit version with Denuvo).

Found pacman

NoClip doc on Demon's Souls Remake

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Not defending Denuvo but the cracked version of RE8 still has Denuvo running, what the crack did was disable Capcom's own DRM which they added on top of Denuvo. Still very poor show from Capcom, its over two months now and they haven't addressed the issue.

Also yeah for Company of Heroes 3. COH is arguably the finest RTS series ever made IMO.

I must give Company of Heroes another go. It looked incredible on launch and really enjoyed what I played. It's been criminally overlooked. I remember Kieron Gillen complaining at the eurogamer best of year list that nobody there cared about PC games and he was the only one championing it as it was GotY material.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Yeah the original Company of Heroes was exceptional well reviewed but it released in 2006 the same year as Oblivion did and it scoped up most of the GOTY that year. LOL that's a game that's not aged well!

Gamescom 2021 will take place digital only from August 25 to 27.

Among those taking part are:

• 505 Games
    • Activision
    • Aerosoft
    • Assemble Entertainment
    • astragon Entertainment
    • BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment
    • Bethesda Softworks
    • Electronic Arts
    • GAMEVIL COM2US Europe
    • Headup
    • Indie Arena Booth
    • Koch Media
    • NExT Studios (Tencent Games)
    • SEGA Europe
    • Team17
    • Thunderful Games
    • Ubisoft
    • Wargaming
    • Xbox

The above companies will be joined by 80 curated top indie titles, which will be showcased at large, virtual booths at the Indie Arena Booth Online, which is integrated into gamescom now.

https://www.gamescom.global/press-creator/press-releases/press-releases-of-gamescom/?fairnumber=0480&fairyear=2021&pressrelease=6&language=EN%20(GB)&abbreviation=EN%20(GB)&datei=pm_0480_2021_6_EN%20(GB).xml

• Advertisement

Capcom have been spurred into action - they reached out to DF/Eurogamer to say they are working on a patch.

Advertisement