Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game News 2.0

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭quokula

I think the emphasis on backwards compatibility is more reflection on how gamers have matured (bit of a contradiction, I know).

It was grand when we were all reliant on parents / santa to buy us consoles and games, and we didn't really care where the money for them came from, but as the average gamer ages up, you appreciate the investment you've made in your collection, so I dont think its unreasonable for folks to express a desire to have access to games they've sunk money into. We're also at a sort of crossroads now, where people have made a bit of a transition to having a digital library, and the idea of having that access curtailed, or worse yet, being forced to buy access via a 'remaster' or compatible version is quite rightly,objectionable.

My experience is completely the opposite - as a child I would get one or two games a year maybe and I really had to play them to death. As a student I could buy more, but I had to make an effort to save. As an adult I know I can buy any game I want, whenever I want. Compared to pretty much any other hobby or expense in life, gaming is incredibly cheap. And I have such limited free time, which is a far larger barrier than cost, so I'm not going to waste it playing older stuff that's not up to modern standards.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,697 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

quokula wrote: »
    My experience is completely the opposite - as a child I would get one or two games a year maybe and I really had to play them to death. As a student I could buy more, but I had to make an effort to save. As an adult I know I can buy any game I want, whenever I want. Compared to pretty much any other hobby or expense in life, gaming is incredibly cheap. And I have such limited free time, which is a far larger barrier than cost, so I'm not going to waste it playing older stuff that's not up to modern standards.

I've taken the opposite approach. Most triple A new games are not up to the quality of most old games so I've decided not to waste my time on any more ubisoft cookie cutter triple A games and concentrate on indie and older games. New games get played if they are exceptional and/or interesting enough to be worth my time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

People like different things. I put huge time into one or two games at a time. Something like COD or the Division. I really like that stuff but it's not for everyone. As long as your having fun who cares. Although in the case of cod fun seems to be pushing your stress levels beyond belief in an attempt to achieve an unlikely event.
    For some reason Battlefield 4 made me incredibly angry and yet I absolutely loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

gimli2112 wrote: »
    People like different things. I put huge time into one or two games at a time. Something like COD or the Division.

I pretty much just play story-driven games now myself, anything with a multiplayer focus is usually a huge turn off.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,697 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Markitron wrote: »
    I pretty much just play story-driven games now myself, anything with a multiplayer focus is usually a huge turn off.

Multiplayer and forever/service games for me as well. They don't have the content to actually keep you playing so substitute it for skinner box mechanics that actively waste your time.

I make the exception for some co-op games but it's more an opportunity to catch up with mates. I'd never play them with randomers.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Multiplayer and forever/service games for me as well. They don't have the content to actually keep you playing so substitute it for skinner box mechanics that actively waste your time.

I make the exception for some co-op games but it's more an opportunity to catch up with mates. I'd never play them with randomers.

Same, I might make an exception for that new Star Wars game but that is probably because I am desperate for anything even slightly resembling a new X-Wing/TIE Fighter game.

Markitron wrote: »
    Same, I might make an exception for that new Star Wars game but that is probably because I am desperate for anything even slightly resembling a new X-Wing/TIE Fighter game.

*cough* Ace Combat 7 *cough*

*cough* Just play it with the advanced controls, it sucks with the easy control scheme *cough*

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    *cough* Ace Combat 7 *cough*

*cough* Just play it with the advanced controls, it sucks with the easy control scheme *cough*

Played and loved it, but its not gonna scratch my X-Wing itch.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭daheadonu

silent hill 4 available on gog for a tenner

• Registered Users Posts: 29,430 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

daheadonu wrote: »
    silent hill 4 available on gog for a tenner

I kind of remember some awful backtracking in it but the actual room bits were so good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,763 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I think people got a bit too caught up but the woke comment, I'm not comparing ye to the woke crowd, just saying that similar to the small but vocal minority of woke people, the people wanting BC are a small but vocal crowd. I just shouldn't have tried to make any reference. Point: the people wanting BC are a small but vocal minority.

And I've no issues with having to start again. I've platinumed Spiderman, there's no reason for me to play it again on PS4. But if I get the PS5 version, I have to start again, and while trophies and achievements are not the main thing I look for in a game (well, I don't look at all unless they're doable without too much effort, ie: no online crap), but them popping again on my PS5 may make me finish it again.

Just me though, I'm forward looking. The past is the past and I find playing older games on current systems destroys the memory of that game and it won't live up to it. Unlike proper remasters like Spyro, Crash, RE2, FFVIII, etc where they do make the game from the ground up again and make it look modern, most remasters are just slightly better graphics with no improvement to the then-grand-nowadays-not-so-grand controls/camera.

The only games I've played back through multiple times are the Legacy of Kain series (from Soul Reaver on, and not including Blood Omen 2, once was enough for that). I tried playing back through the Uncharted HD games, got bored half way through the second one. Most games are best left in the memory imo.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Anyway, back to News. This leaker has some good news about PS5 BC apparantly: https://www.laptopmag.com/news/ps5-backwards-compatibility-may-be-better-than-expected-look-out-xbox-series-x

"PS5 boost mode enabled"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,575 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

FFS, Ubi. 25% of Ubisoft Employees Witnessed Workplace Misconduct in Past Two Years - GamesIndustry.biz

WTF, Activision. "Gallery of the Gamer"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    FFS, Ubi. 25% of Ubisoft Employees Witnessed Workplace Misconduct in Past Two Years - GamesIndustry.biz

Im still not buying Valhalla

Im still not buying Valhalla

I'm getting it second hand and not buying any DLC etc, I bought every other AC game at or close to full price.

Its not much of a **** you to them but at least its something.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

I ****ing hate everything about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Ugh, I could just taste the Mountain Dew when I read that line.

More death threats to devs for upsetting 'fans'

https://twitter.com/bryanintihar/status/1312477421862412288?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 15,187 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Zero-Cool wrote: »

Jesus christ, what is wrong with this world.

Personally, I think the change is fine, but I get it that some people prefer the original... But Jesus, that's fucked up.

I'm usually totally against sending death threats to developers but with ray tracing you'd expect they'd have better puddles by now.

• Advertisement

recyclops wrote: »
    I just hate companies making people to buy the same product again even if they have bought it digitally from them before. Especially nowadays when people tend to not hang onto machines.

We know the technology is there so it's just a massive cash grab which is fairly ****e for your consumers.

Nintendo really are the worst here by far but the beauty for them (Nintendo) is that plenty of their acolytes have drank so much kool-aid that they lap-up the sodomy.

Complete masochists.

Yeah but they do make exceptional games that are far better than the competition.

If they keep making them I'll keep picking up the soap while begging for Pikmin 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭solidasarock

Between people getting angry about puddles. People getting angry and no
    Tobey Maguire suit (even though it was being working on quietly behind the scenes all along because movie licencing is hard) and being angry at new faces... the Spider-Man fandom seems intense.

Between people getting angry about puddles. People getting angry and no
    Tobey Maguire suit (even though it was being working on quietly behind the scenes all along because movie licencing is hard) and being angry at new faces... the Spider-Man fandom seems intense.

I mean, if they really wanted to get their webbing in a twist, they could have pointed their ire at whoever wants to bring Foxx's Electro back to the movies.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

PS5 videos are hitting from Japan now.

They all seem to be starting with Astro, which seems designed to show off the features of the controller. The loading between world is near instantaneous though, really nice to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,414 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

CatInABox wrote: »
    PS5 videos are hitting from Japan now.

*vid*

They all seem to be starting with Astro, which seems designed to show off the features of the controller. The loading between world is near instantaneous though, really nice to see.

Unfortunately it was a heavily controlled experience.

All the influencers from varies channels were brought into the one room to use the same PS5.

Strict editing guidelines meant there was no showing of the UI.

Staving for a teardown and a review of the PS5 in the wild. Maybe its coming soon. It surely has to be.

GodFall looks nice. I hope its a great game. Its got some great visuals and particle effects.

Next Need For Speed looking to be announced tomorrow. Rumour of a remaster of Hot Persuit. Because everyone was asking for a remaster of HP and not Underground 1, 2 or Most Wanted...

https://twitter.com/NeedforSpeed/status/1312771964965138432?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Next Need For Speed looking to be announced tomorrow. Rumour of a remaster of Hot Persuit. Because everyone was asking for a remaster of HP and not Underground 1, 2 or Most Wanted...
    The Undergrounds would require a full on remake rather than a remaster which is probably why we're seeing Hot Pursuit instead. Currently playing through Most Wanted (2005) and even with some mods to give it a lick of paint here and there by modern standards, it would most likely also fall into the same category.

Not impressed by anything in those PS5 videos par one thing, astrobot looks really damn good. Mario Galaxy vibes off it. But nothing that is blowing me away as next gen.

Also not impressed with letting 'influencers' get their hands on it before the press.

Give it to digital foundry already FFS.

• Advertisement
Advertisement