Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,516 ✭✭✭✭DvB

All the best for the new job Caranica & hopefully the security it brings with it.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Btw, on site this morning, came back to my PC there & 8 threads in here lit up with new posts... oustanding!! & for the end of May too... wow!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Caranica wrote: »
    So my news, I got a new job!! You'll probably be thinking, didn't she recently get a job... Well yes I did, a few months ago now. That was only a temporary contract but while I had 9 months to go on that, I was offered a job i applied for months ago. It's a permanent job so the security will be amazing. Hate leaving where I am now but after being out of work for a year, I never ever ever want to go back to being out of work like that again. Was the toughest year of my life, so much harder than even when my marriage broke up. Start new job in a few weeks.

This is fantastic news!! Congrats!!
    DvB wrote: »
    Btw, on site this morning, came back to my PC there & 8 threads in here lit up with new posts... oustanding!! & for the end of May too... wow!

I know I just logged in and there's a hive of activity here this morning!

Loughc wrote: »
    I know I just logged in and there's a hive of activity here this morning!

Maybe we all just need a little something atm...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

If we don't get a summer we may as well skip right to Christmas at this rate!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Absolutely!!
    Although we've had a fantastic* May before followed by a dismal summer, so I'm hoping things will pick up now in June/July/Aug... otherwise it might as well be November already.

*Irish fantastic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭Jude13

Great news Caranica!! Now book Christmas off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,145 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Jude13 wrote: »
    Great news Caranica!! Now book Christmas off.

My new job actually closes between Christmas and New year anyway so it's only a matter of making sure I can finish early enough.

Caranica wrote: »
    My new job actually closes between Christmas and New year

Are they hiring.... :pac:

• Advertisement

^^^ This

Currently looking out the window at a hail shower....

That's it... straight to Christmas...

Rumours that this weekend could be an improvement, with the potential for a nice bank holiday w/e too.
    I'm taking the Friday of the bank holiday w/e off too for a 4 day break & some decent weather would make that even better!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

That was loud :eek:

TRS30 wrote: »
    That was loud :eek:

I know!! The sky is threatening again just after it cleared up!!

Tis a grand day in Galway, blue sky and fluffy clouds, wouldn't be pulling out the shorts yet though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭tscul32

Congrats on the job caranica. My place closes for 2 weeks over Christmas too and I love it.

My poor lad was cycling home from school when the hailstorm hit. No jacket on him cos, you know, teenager. He saw me at the window and just mouthed "help". Into the shower and a big hot chocolate helped. Usually only get that in winter.

A lot to be said for work closing over Christmas. Having seen the other side (retail) back in the day there's no way I'd want to ever do that again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭OUTDOORLASS

So sick of these grey skies and hail and thunder Put ChristmasFM on the Ap today. Brightened me up !! Hoping for improvement at the weekend. Thankfully Caranica had good news to brighten us up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Well it's coming to the UK so it might be here for Christmas 2021!
    187967511_2951658745156727_8500409317123827897_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=6YGRJsWmeagAX-_dODW&tn=PH14ydVLmpOQ-JtW&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=b1080401812cf05e2ccec928ea8eb4a0&oe=60D192F9

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭PaulT21

And more good news 😀 but not for the waste line
    https://www.delish.com/uk/food-news/a36528911/white-terrys-chocolate-orange-bars/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

A lot to be said for work closing over Christmas. Having seen the other side (retail) back in the day there's no way I'd want to ever do that again.

Ditto, I take my hat off to people who work in retail!

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

Congrats on the job Carnica!

Our workplace closes for Christmas as well. It's brilliant. We close the day before Christmas eve as well so I've now perfected ensuring that I'm all sorted by that day so it's spent chilling rather than rushing around trying to get last minute stuff and battling the crowds.

When I think back to the years in public facing jobs where there was always ructions over the Christmas roster and you got supervisors favouring their buddies, or single people getting shafted on the shifts because Christmas is all about the kiddies or something. There was a woman I worked with that managed to wangle 4 Christmases off in a row due to a dying granny's last Christmas. Turns out that all her grannies were as fit as a butchers dog and celebrated many more Christmases after that. :rolleyes:

I have wet feet!!
    Who would have thought I'd be making plans to get some waterproof shoes when it's June in a few days!? :pac:

Posy wrote: »
    I have wet feet!!
    Who would have thought I'd be making plans to get some waterproof shoes when it's June in a few days!? :pac:

Was 'like' summer last couple of days as well :confused:

Was 'like' summer last couple of days as well :confused:

Lashed rain out our way from about 2.30pm yesterday, the morning was nice but it turned wet & miserable pretty quickly. Rain didnt let up once before we went to bed at around 11.

All in its been a pretty crappy month of May weather wise. Fingers crossed June brings a considerable improvement.

Lashed rain out our way from about 2.30pm yesterday, the morning was nice but it turned wet & miserable pretty quickly. Rain didnt let up once before we went to bed at around 11.

All in its been a pretty crappy month of May weather wise. Fingers crossed June brings a considerable improvement.

I believe April was the driest on recorded as well!!

Guess we need to stop using the aerosols and driving the diesels!!!

I'm pleased to announce we're into the 200's!

Yesterday was a beautiful of a day. And today is shaping up to be a stunner too. Happy summer everyone. Quick it won’t last too long.

Up early as I'm off over to citywest to get my first covid jab this morning.... Nice day for it too!!

Happy vaccine day DvB! Very jealous.

I have a virtual baby shower at lunchtime for one of my best friends. It will be a truly international one judging by some of the phone numbers in the WhatsApp group. Have to drag myself out of bed and make myself look half decent soon.

Stressful weekend, leak from the bath and/or toilet down into my sitting room wall and ceiling. Have a good plumber but he's not cheap :o

• Advertisement

Having my (fully vaccinated) parents over for a belated birthday bbq this afternoon. Was supposed to be 2 weeks ago but other stuff interrupted it. Weather was crap then too so all good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭Jude13

I am just hoping that they dial back the requirements for visitors to Ireland who are fully vaccinated.

Best of luck DvB

Oh, great to hear, DvB! :)

Ah no, Caranica- I hope the damage isn't too bad. :/

It's been a lovely weekend, lots of sun, plus I got my hair done, so yaaay. :D

Edit: You have got a great day for a BBQ, tscul- hope you all enjoy yourselves!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

What a glorious day it is :) Enjoy your day however you spend it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Up early as I'm off over to citywest to get my first covid jab this morning.... Nice day for it too!!

Good man. Got my first vaccine shot in the Helix at about half three today. :)

Reckon I'm still awhile away from getting mine and with talk of supply issues again could be delayed.

Anyway, what a weekend, not a sign of any snow :D

Hope everyone had a good one.

Good man. Got my first vaccine shot in the Helix at about half three today. :)

Dunno what the Helix was like but was incredibly impressed with how smooth the operation is at Citywest... I was 30 minutes from getting out of my car to getting back into it & that included the 15 minute mandatory observation after getting the jab. Just goes to show how we can get it right when we need to. Incredible operation out there.
    Was told I'll get my 2nd appointment for exactly 28 days later so in 4 weeks I'll be done & a week after that will be fully vaccinated!! Bring it on!!! :D

Dunno what the Helix was like but was incredibly impressed with how smooth the operation is at Citywest... I was 30 minutes from getting out of my car to getting back into it & that included the 15 minute mandatory observation after getting the jab. Just goes to show how we can get it right when we need to. Incredible operation out there.
    Was told I'll get my 2nd appointment for exactly 28 days later so in 4 weeks I'll be done & a week after that will be fully vaccinated!! Bring it on!!! :D

Did you get the Pfizer one? How you feeling today?

Did you get the Pfizer one? How you feeling today?

Yeah, received Pfizer Biontech.
    Feel fine, upper arm is a little sore around the injection site but was told to expect that, its already faded a little since last night TBH when it was uncomfortable to lie on. Feels more stiff than sore if that makes sense. Other than that feel absolutely fine.

• Advertisement

Yeah, received Pfizer Biontech.
    Feel fine, upper arm is a little sore around the injection site but was told to expect that, its already faded a little since last night TBH when it was uncomfortable to lie on. Feels more stiff than sore if that makes sense. Other than that feel absolutely fine.

Good to hear. That is exactly the same reaction my folks had and anyone else I talked to who got the Pfizer one.

Hopefully when my time comes that will be one I get if possible.

Good to hear. That is exactly the same reaction my folks had and anyone else I talked to who got the Pfizer one.

Hopefully when my time comes that will be one I get if possible.

At the moment it seems like the Pfizer one is the only show in town, and they're delivering way ahead of schedule too. My sister (whos 48) has her appointment tomorrow and will be getting the pfizer one too.

Was told that the astrazenica ones being received are being kept for those that already got that as their first jab. With the EU legal case I doubt we'll be seeing much more of it here either.

I can register on Wednesday, hoping to get Pfizer too. OH got his first pfizer about 10 days ago, said it was just a slight pain in his arm, "kinda like someone stuck a needle in it'

tscul32 wrote: »
    I can register on Wednesday, hoping to get Pfizer too. OH got his first pfizer about 10 days ago, said it was just a slight pain in his arm, "kinda like someone stuck a needle in it'

Think the current strategy is for anyone over 45 to get the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines so theres a good chance you'll get it if in that age bracket.

Though like any of this it could all change based on supply, though with Pfizer doing all the heavy lifting at the moment I'd be surprised if 45 or older you got anything else.

tscul32 wrote: »

Me too. Counting the hours until Wednesday. Am I right in thinking the portal doesn't open at midnight but at 10am?

Think the current strategy is for anyone over 45 to get the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines so theres a good chance you'll get it if in that age bracket.

Though like any of this it could all change based on supply, though with Pfizer doing all the heavy lifting at the moment I'd be surprised if 45 or older you got anything else.

Wednesday is for 44 year olds, not 45 for a few more (very important to me) weeks. Fingers crossed.

No idea what time it opens.

• Advertisement

Happy June everybody.
    Let's hope for Good Weather.
    P.S The Tubs of sweets will hopefully be out the month after next!(Maybe even the Brown Thomas Christmas Shop)
    89494638_108886667398030_7915606399902547968_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=09cbfe&_nc_ohc=vTEBJjv-1L8AX-e8h9C&_nc_oc=AQl7TyaC_lXEvSECXf2LcT2_oVcZ02-lQXEQwUZT85qoXpTjM__AMPxOXyqGk_QQk6c&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=c095e011accf6a6289981c3fffeb27e8&oe=60DA562B

Happy June everybody.
    Let's hope for Good Weather.
    P.S The Tubs of sweets will hopefully be out the month after next!(Maybe even the Brown Thomas Christmas Shop)
    89494638_108886667398030_7915606399902547968_n.jpg?_nc_cat=109&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=09cbfe&_nc_ohc=vTEBJjv-1L8AX-e8h9C&_nc_oc=AQl7TyaC_lXEvSECXf2LcT2_oVcZ02-lQXEQwUZT85qoXpTjM__AMPxOXyqGk_QQk6c&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=c095e011accf6a6289981c3fffeb27e8&oe=60DA562B

Second last month with no official Christmas activity :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

June...honestly feels like it was Christmas yesterday, then I blinked and it was June....and I'm saying that even though January, February and March were literally the longest months ever!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Finally getting the family round for dinner on Sunday and because we couldn’t last year, want to do Christmas Dinner.

Anywhere selling Christmas Crackers at the moment?

Into the middle 2 months, this month brings us the 199 day benchmark & the 20's in the weekly countdown too, the christmas equinox & fingers crossed a lot of good weather!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement