Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,517 ✭✭✭✭DvB

we're a 2 tree house also. In fact last year my wife was tempted to get a third. we have a slim tree that we could put in the hall next to the front door, she was tempted to do that & get another bigger tree for the kitchen/dining room at the back of the house and keep the main one in the living room, our living/dining/kitchen is all connected btw as we knocked down all the walls between them to open up the ground floor as much as possible so we'd have had thousands of twinkly tree lights had we done it. In the end we didn't so just have the main tree & the slim one for now 😄

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

That was one of the things I was most excited about when we moved to our current house, room for more trees!

We are currently running at 4, front room, playroom, hall and landing. Are all different shapes and sizes and decorated completed differently.

There is a chance we'll have a new kitchen this Christmas so might try to squeeze in tree number 5 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

We are getting some groundsworks done at the minute. We just got a new doorstep so I'm already thinking how we can decorate outside a bit more now...defo thinking of trying a slim tree on the doorstep.....wonder would an artificial one last in the rain & winter wind?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Only for the Christmas threads on here and the people that are on it I would say I would have finished with the new Boards but in saying that there is a few improvements starting to come in lately.

Would have been really disappointed to have lost a safe haven where I can read and talk about Christmas all year round with other nutjobs though! 😀🎄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 121 ✭✭Carodh

Had 2 trees(one sitting room, one kitchen) bought a handy sized white one for the corner of the landing last year and decorated it with Liverpool baubles ( hubby couldn’t complain then when I had done it in his teams colours). Son was thrilled when he saw it next morning. Can never have enough trees.

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

Ah I forgot outside decorations!! OH is mad for them but we were limited in a rented before this. Now he can go nuts with my blessing 😁

We'll have a real tree in the kitchen/living room, very traditional colours and my mismatch sentimental baubles on it as usual. Then in the 'good' sitting room I'll have the artificial tree for a year or so until we change the flooring. But that one will have a more themed colour to match the room. And we've loads more decorations that we got after Christmas last year so we'll be well sorted indoors.

My mum takes down her tiny tree on the 26th and hates the 'fuss' of Christmas. She sees it as an expensive and enormous build up to one single day but she goes overboard with presents, ridiculously so, and there's no telling her, she hates every minute of it and bangs on about how commercial Christmas has become. 🙄 I think I was switched at birth because I'm the total opposite. I don't do a huge spend on presents, I'm all about the food!

Christmas is a season, not a day.

Not sure CL. I'd say you can get some good artificial ones that would last however I'm sure they wouldn't be cheap. Maybe a real fir tree in a pot that could you could grow up by trimming?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭gidget

Just a heads up, just spotted a FB post on the Yankee Candle warehouse FB page, they’re doing a clearance on some of the products they’re retiring. One of them is Rudolph Day Large jar mega box for €49.95.

I do have two small trees that I had at the front door before....maybe with better lights, they'd look more Christmassy 🤔 We should have more of a "lawn" out the front now so I'm hoping to do something up the driveway.....not sure what yet though!

• Advertisement

We've an external artificial tree, its about 4 ft tall and comes in a pot base which is pretty heavy to stop it blowing over. We wrap a set of 300 external lights around it (similar to the ones we wrap around the bushes at the front of the garden) and it looks great.

We're getting our front garden redone in a few weeks, getting rid of the grass and getting profiled concrete installed so we can park the cars fully off the road (& have less maintenance) we'll be getting dwarf walls put in around the edges at the bushes etc wo we'll keep all them for external lights. But it means we've more space for external bits now too. We have a few light up figures too (reindeer, snowman etc) but we're hoping to up our game externally this year as we're pretty happy with the internal set up after last year worked out so well.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

That's what I'm looking for....do you recall where you bought it? I'm defo going to get more outdoor stuff....we've a plan for a fence as well at some point (could be next year at this stage) so I'd love to get lights on that too eventually

The Mrs. just told me she got it from Littlewoods about 2 or 3 years ago.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I think I'll get some battery lights for the garden this year- I have solar lights in the summer, but put them away around Oct/Nov because there's no light! Always leaves the garden looking a bit dull in the winter.

Ooooh, nice! Best of luck with the new place. 😀 I have a slim 'pop up' tree in the hall, and kitchen, and the big one in the sitting room. Love having multiple trees.

Don't even start. I'll just say I feel bad for the mods of busy forums at the moment- whoever they are, because Vanilla doesn't seem to specify who mods what! 😂

Looks like the 'new improved' Boards will take longer to sort out than Covid. 🤭

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭PaulT21

Just in fairness, a few improvements have been rolled out today. Thanks to the Team in the background for continuing to work under difficult circumstances😀

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

The bold/unbold threads being back is a GREAT help!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

I must be lost as I never had a dark mode 😂😂

There will always be the complainers and yes it can get annoying but it’s a work in progress 👍

now back to Christmas talk

Bold threads are back baby :)

Like that tree design AS.

Hump day over and weekend on the horizon :)

Is it just on the mobile site or desktop too? Wasn't happening earlier on the desktop site.

Happening on the desktop site for me. I did logout and cleared my cookie and logged back in again though.

Big night in Europe DvB!

That's bizarre.... I posted that late last night & it only appeared this morning! A bit fishy that 🐟️

I'm since on the desktop and have seen the bold threads with new posts, so that's a definite improvement. Its slowly getting there.

• Advertisement

Oops, missed that last line.... yep, tonight is a biggie for us, nerves are already in a state of flux so I'll be needing distraction between now & KO. I have the stream ordered & paid for so all set, fingers crossed the lads go out & finish the job now. I'll be gutted if we don't.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

i searched in YouTube my hometown with Christmas after it and I was treated to a 3 minute video someone took from their car of the towns entire Christmas lights.

it was great to see it. Especially as I won’t get home this year as we’ll either have a new newborn or be waiting for baby to arrive.

YouTube is a great source for random Christmas videos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Also clocks go back on this day!

What a pointless exercise...

Hope you got the passport dusted off for the trip to Tallinn!!!

It's starting!

No away fans permitted until the group stages unfortunately. Was there before though back in 2011 when we played the same team. Fingers crossed we get the same results as last time now.... I'll be a proper bag of nerves for this one.

• Advertisement

Was driving in to work this morning & the Home Alone reboot was mentioned on the radio, even the presenters commented to the effect of 'why?'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,145 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Happy Friday everyone!! Such a relief, I'm shattered after an epic extended weekend last weekend so being back at work has been tough.

Was out last night and the pub had a musician outside and it was just brilliant. Was home by 11 but it was so good for the soul. Had food too so feeling grand this morning other than totally exhausted 😂

I know we've had slightly less vociferous discussion about this subject, but just read this thread over on after hours and was fascinated by both sides of the discussion. TBH I'll freely put my hands up & say I'm in the August = Autumn camp but purely because its what I was taught in school in both London & Dublin and it fits into the way I structure my year (albeit loosely, I'm not THAT entrenched over something this trivial in the greater scheme of things) but did find both sides of the discussion fascinating. Worth a read if you have a spare 20 minutes & have any mild interest.

I always go off the Irish names for the months. If September is "middle of autumn" and October is "end of autumn" it must start in August.

As you know by now, I learn the other way and always considered August as the summer and Sept the start of autumn. In saying that I can see the other point of view as well.

I was taught August is Autumn in primary school in the 90s, but I don't mind if/when someone says August is Summer. However, I do count 9 planets in our solar system, I don't care what NASA says 😝😂

I'm wrecked after the week, I don't know how I'll survive working this weekend, and I'll miss the semi final 😮‍💨

I'm catching up on the thread, this is my first time hearing about the Home Alone reboot. I thought the tweet from Culkin that time was just a random joke, I didn't realise there's actually been a film made 😧

Loving the new improvements to Mobile site. Nice to see the last posted by and date and time of last post.

We’re getting there. Give my my forums drop down back and we are laughing.

Dark mode still needed for me.

• Advertisement

A tv series really is worse!

It is great to see progress being made on the new platform. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that dark mode comes along soon, with the option to follow/unfollow forums on mobile. If those boxes get ticked I'll be content.

Follow/unfollow is coming next.

Dark mode I think it last in the list of things to fix.

Sister popcorn went to UAE last August and came home for the Summer and went back Yesterday.

Last year when she went I remember we just flew into Christmas.

At the moment we're sort of doing up the bathroom and utility room and I'm trying to work out when should we be painting the hall, living room, etc and when should we start baking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Follow/Unfollow is a big missing feature.

What about viewing "My Forums", there doesn't seem to be an option.

I kinda wish they would group My bookmarks and my discussions as my threads like the legacy site.

They weren't grouped in the legacy though? There were three tracks tabs - Latest; My Forums; My Threads. My threads was followed threads which bookmarks are now. I don't follow every thread I post in nor do I want to?

Hitting the logo and having to set to forums I'm following brings up the active threads in those forums, same as the my forums tab?

It's very close to the legacy site in those ways now but still issues like:

Bookmarks bring up a transient list of followed threads, you need to click all bookmarks in order to get a list of threads you can go back and forward through

No dark mode

No help desk/prison/dispute resolution forums

No list of mods and cmods at the bottom of each forum

Missing pms

Like instead of thanks

Keyboard overhanging text box on mobile when reporting posts

Notifications inconsistent, especially email notification

Can't follow forum from forum you need to follow from list of forums

And those are only from the top of my head. It's an awful lot better than it was when we first got boards back but still way behind what we had before the migration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭antimatterx

That's not true. They were grouped. If you posted in a thread you were automatically following it.

Now you have to explicitly follow a thread after posting which I often forget.

• Advertisement

Not for me!! The only threads in my threads were from fora I didn't follow like my team in a larger sports forum, threads of interest in motors or DIY or internet of things etc.

It may have been a setting you could turn on but I definitely didn't have it on.

Shame we'll have to wait a while for dark mode but with all the recent updates it's definitely improving the site so can live with that...

Yeah, it's good to see some progress at least.

Bring on dark mode! My retinas!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭Jude13

Which part of the UAE, with a break like that I bet she's a teacher like my Mrs.

Im still struggling to find threads which I would like to follow. I don't like change! I am getting an i-phone tomorrow after years avoiding one, the big 4 made me use one a while back. Its going to be annoying.

I could never change from an Android phone, I'm too set in my ways!

• Advertisement
Advertisement