Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭pigtail33

Did anyone else sing this to themselves in the voice of Elsa from Frozen?!!

Beautiful spring morning out there, can't ask for better this time of year. No wind or rain, and even some heat coming from the sun. Love getting out for walks in this type of weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

I did!! Elf1 was dressed up as Elsa today for World Book day was on my mind.....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Lovely few days alright, it's great to see a bit of sun, even if you do have to be bundled up! Looks like they're forecasting a good weekend too. ☀️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,898 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Great to see the sunshine - definitely feels like spring this week. Hoping to get in the water for the next few days 😀🏊‍♀️. On a sadder note, we have a meeting next week about returning to the office - t'was good while it lasted 😪

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Same. I’m returning to the office soon on a 50/50 basis. So not too bad. But will miss my safe haven for all 5 days.

We'll only be back on blended hours but it's just the thought of having to get up early, getting properly dressed, driving into the city and putting up with (certain) colleagues - I've not got the patience 😩

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,145 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

We're already back at 4 days, was 3 days for the last year but that extra day in the office is a killer. With the price of petrol going crazy too it's so frustrating when I can work perfectly well from home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

It's a strange thing what's happening with people having to return to work. Where I am there is sections that haven't been in in the last 2 years but then there is others, myself included that are saying we have been here 5 or even 6 days a week every week during the pandemic so boo hoo! 🤣

I think a lot of more folk though they were going to be wfh a lot longer than this in fairness.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Spot on!! By the time I get everything sorted and that I’ll be in the office just before 9. Where at home I log on at 8. So the office loses time me being in the office. Their choice I guess.

• Advertisement

i get that frustration. Not only did we prove we could work from home well we have proof we got our work done quicker.

But as I said before it’s hard to argue the office decided they want us back half of the time so that’s that I guess.

Be interesting to see how staff morale will be after a couple of months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,516 ✭✭✭✭DvB

I'm more or less back to normal now and given my workload hasn't reduced meeting deadlines is difficult as I was actually spending longer working when wfh. Life seems a lot busier being back in the office thats for sure, as I'm up earlier to beat traffic and with stuff on most evenings it feeks like a longer day, and with weekend life stacked with grocery shopping and 2 matches etc. I get precious little time for myself.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

I'm not looking forward to it but feel that it will just become the norm after a few weeks. Wfh really suited me but it's understandable that they want us back some of the time. I definitely get more done at home but that's their loss.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Great article. Loved how they don’t even have a tv in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Great article, I live in Ashbourne so must spin out that way and have a pint in O'Connell's.

I noticed on the countdown that its 42 weeks to Christmas which means it's 10 weeks since Christmas, we have practically a fifth of the year done 😲

I always think of the season starting for real around Nov. 1st as the adverts start etc. That's 8 weeks before the big day, so we're only 34 weeks from the season really 😆

We had a meeting with our area (all of work in the same function so report to the same manager) last week and return to the office came up. She was trying to make the argument about going back however was very weak and sounded more like she was trying to convince herself then us! The nature of the work we do, I would be interacting with individuals from lots of different areas at different times in the project so the likelihood of being in the office at the same time is remote. Productivity has been up the last two years so WFH doe not impact performance in any way.

I think it is going to be a really hard sell and can see a lot of people leaving if they try to force it. The market is very good at the minute for my area so backfire badly. I like WFH and do not want to go back to the old way of working. I hope I can stay where I am however the CV will be out there if they push too hard.

Hope all had a good weekend. Weather was great so got out lots with the kids. All the fresh air made sure we all slept well, was tough getting up the morning!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Morning all, wrecked today after a great weekend celebrating our middle elf 😀 Feel like we made up for the last two years between a party with his friends from creche, tea party with both sets of grandparents & the amazing weather to get out and about 😍

Catching up on the posts about WFH and return to the office. Thankfully so far, our company's line has been "offices are open, go in if you want to". I'm hoping it will stay that way for a long time yet. The nature of our work is that most people would be either WFH, out on a customer site or possibly in the office. Most of the time, the only time we see all of our colleagues together is at the Christmas Party so in reality, it doesn't really matter where we are based once the work is done & with video calls etc, you don't really notice not being in the office tbh.

• Advertisement

Today is my first day back in the office since March 12th 2020. Honestly, the thoughts of it were much worse than the reality. Took me an hour or so to feel settled again at my desk, but now it almost feels like I have never been away. Thankfully the office is fairly empty, I'm not sure if I could handle the noise of peoples phones ringing etc. I predict to be in a heap tonight though! I haven't been up at 6am in two years either. We're only back one day a week though, which is manageable, I don't think I'd be able for the addition of a one hour commute, each way, anymore than one day a week.

It's my first day in office since end of Nov-2021. Same as yourself it was grand after a hour but still wouldn't fancy it 5 days a week. Very little people in the office today as well which is bizarre as they hyped this up as the first day back to the office.

Completely agree, the way the last bit of the year flies in, Nov 1st may as well be Dec 15th.

As we say regularly here, the build up is the fun bit!! Christmas is a season, not just a few days at the end of December.

Morning all, windy one out there today. Hope everyone is keeping ok. A reminder we will be kick starting a new tournament this month... Might started it this day next week and let the nominations run for a week to give people time before and after the double bank holiday to think of noms.

Nope... but stay tuned for April for that one....

Morning all, not sure what it's like where you guys are but it's feckin' baltic here ☔️❄️

Cold and blustery here, been colder this month than 95% of Winter 21/22.

• Advertisement

WFH this morning & agree, its pretty cold this morning, coldest i've felt sat here at my desk at home in a good while.

Good morning, It's a pretty grim day down here 😫

I haven't ventured outside yet, and from the look of it from my window, I'm not sure I will.

Bring back last week's sunshine please!

The sun is doing it's best to come out here, but it's just so cold! I'm sitting with a blanket and a hot water bottle!

It's the best place to be! I did venture outside at lunchtime and can confirm that it was baltic. The wind would cut through you. I think I met 2 people out walking their dogs and that was about it.

It has brightened up a little here too, but I don't think it has got any warmer.

Very quiet around here today - must be the weather, utterly rotten out today!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Yes, a bit tumbleweed-y today alright!

Up the walls with work today. Had an early start with the gym this morning as well. I’m wrecked now tho.

• Advertisement

Same (minus the gym), been flat out the last few days and another busy few days coming up.

At least it's making the time go even quicker, Thursday already!!

Absolutely no time for the gym at all these days, between work & coaching the 2 kids teams I barely have time to eat these days (weight unaffected though!!) ... off to Kilkenny now for a site visit so will be in the car for a good bit, first bit of peace & quiet I'll have had in a long time.

Yeah I can't believe it's Thursday would have happily believed it was Wednesday if someone told me. At least this week is almost done and only a 3 day week next week!

I'm the opposite, I can get the gym in but I can't get the food out of my face. Deffo stress eating, eating at the wrong times, all bad habits but hard to juggle with increasing workload and baby and house work.

Need to manage the stress, it can really sneak up on you. I'm used to it, to an extent, but there's times when it increases and can really manifest itself in all kinds of ways, so look after yourself. Having a stressful time in work myself at the moment due to a difficult (& unreasonable) client, but doing my best to manage it & not let it get into my head too much.

I have made an observation though, when I'm going through a particularly stressful time of it I tend to get a craving for to christmas related things, music, images, old threads in here, films, tv, podcasts etc. & I noticed in the last week or so I've had my first real christmas craving since pre christmas 2021 and its no coincidence work has been nasty over that timeframe too. I suspect Christmas is my go to happy place for when mentally theres a struggle and a little relief is needed.

Into the 280’s tomorrow!!! The 200’s are moving at a good pace.

• Advertisement

Every year I say this year can't go as quick as last year and every year I get proven wrong!

We'll be into the 30's in weeks on the countdown in no time too (mothers day in fact is week 39)

What I'm finding bizarre is that its usually Jan, Feb, March that are the slow months of the year & things start to feel like they're picking up after that, but this year those 3 have gone by in a blur!! Hoping things calm down when we get to summertime as it would be nice to get some time to just sit back & relax for a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭jellybear

Hope everyone's had a good week!

We're off to a wedding today! My first since February 2020!! Hoping I'll manage okay in such a large group of people.

Hope everyone has a lovely weekend...despite the gloomy weather!!

Enjoy the wedding Jellybear 😀

@Loughc I hear you with the stress eating - I'm currently eating a chocolate biscuit...for my breakfast...but I got up at 6.30...this is the first chance I had to eat anything 😭 In relation to managing the workload, baby, housework - my only tip: get a cleaner if it's within your budget. I resisted for years, thinking I was super woman (I am not) & then ended up feeling like I was constantly failing at everything because I couldn't manage it all. We've a cleaner who comes once every two weeks now & the difference it has made is unreal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Enjoy the wedding and of you do feel nervous just object during the ceremony and you might get to go home early.

Also, we're into the 280's!

• Advertisement
Advertisement