Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭jellybear

Awh guys, send help!

Toddler woke up with a rash...not sure if it's chickenpox...time will tell!! He seems in good form so far, thankfully!

I had my 2nd booster yesterday, Moderna, and feel AWFUL!! Didn't sleep a wink and have aches and pains all over.

Sorry for moaning...feeling very sorry for myself here 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Sorry to hear you both feeling under the weather @jellybear. Hopefully you'll both make a quick recovery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Happy Monday All & a belated Happy Father's Day to all the Dads in the forum! Hard to believe it is the last Monday of the school year!

@jellybear hope you start to feel a bit better soon & that your toddler doesn't have the pox. It did the rounds in our school & creche last month, poor kids were dropping like flies!

Our guys only 8 days of school left, then the fun summer childcare merry go round starts!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,516 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Our finish up Thursday week. Then come September they go into 6th class & the last year of primary school... where have those 8 years gone!!!

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement

Is that really late or ours just finished super early? When does your school go back though? Ours are back on August 30th. I always feel like the summer holidays are going to be ages long, but sure it does fly by!

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭pigtail33

Wow, it really is a beautiful day out there. I'm in the office today, so I went for a walk along the canal at lunch time, to top up my Vitamin D levels. Hopefully the good weather hangs around for a while, although I don't think I'd be able for the heatwave over in Europe. 20° does me just fine!

Just noticed we are over 9k posts. I know it will take awhile (at current rates) to knock out the last 1K odd however only seems the other day this thread started!

Not sure the new forum is limited to 10k posts per thread, thought I read that as being one of the changes in the migration.

• Advertisement

Yeh, I think I read that before too. And we were glad the forum wasn't given a Covid related name that would be there forever more!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,898 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Afternoon all, it's just beautiful. I'm enjoying just sitting here in the garden - this is more like the summer I had planned for myself so long may it continue. @jellybear i hope you feel better and that if your little one has chickenpox that they are not too sick with it.

There goes my bit of excitement that we would get to name a new thread :(

Looks like your name is up in lights for the foreseeable @DvB.

Post edited by TRS30 on

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I don't think the thread name can be beaten! Prove me wrong though, if anyone has any amazing suggestions! 😁

Hope you and the wee one feel better tomorrow, @jellybear!

I had a catastrophically crap day at work today, didn't get a second to pop in! I sewed some lovely new perennials out the front on Saturday though, so the weekend was at least a rollercoaster ride success! 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭BK5

Hope you and your little one are feeling better this morning @jellybear

A dull start this morning. We are going on holidays to Majorca today so won't be on here for ten days so I'll miss the halfway point and the next Rudolph Day. See you all in July. 🖐️

Attending a funeral this morning so not the greatest of starts, already looking forward to Friday & the weekend. Its our last GAA match of the season & boy am I looking forward to having my weekends back for a few weeks.

Morning all

Dull and damp start here.

Have a great holiday @BK5

I hate them as well @DvB, always puts me in a downer mood and takes a few hours to shrug off.

Enjoy the break!! We'll be well into July the next time we see you here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,898 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

• Advertisement

@BK5 thanks so much for thinking of us! Turns out little man has slapped cheek...I also have a double ear infection...there's always something!! Means our trip to see friends this weekend is off. Haven't seen them in 2.5 years 😔 You have an amazing time in Majorca...I'm not jealous at all!!😆

On the plus side, we're picking up our new (to us!) car tomorrow and we also ordered new blinds for the house. I'm in complete nesting mode these days!!😆

Take care yourself and the little man @jellybear.

Ooooh nice @BK5! You'll miss all the cloud. 😂

Have a great time, see you next month! 😎

Morning all

A wet start here. The weather this summer has been a real mixed bag so far!

At least it's Wednesday already so weekend is peaking over the horizon :)

Nights start getting a little shorter from today too.... the grand oul stretch will be shrinking 🤣

Morning All,

Hard to believe the longest day of the year has come & gone! We had Elf 2's graduation from ECCE yesterday, off to big school come to the end of August! Feels like it was only yesterday that I was dropping him in for his first day in creche and he was only 6 months old!

@jellybear hope you are all on the mend now!

Its crazy as to how much faster time seems to go when kids go to creche (first real external structured time out of the home) & then school with its terms & holidays... I'm still astonished our 2 are going into their last year of primary at the end of the summer & we've to apply for secondary schools before christmas!!

Was out playing golf last night and ended up playing a few extra holes as was still so bright at 9.30. Got home and was heading to bed around 10.45 and still wasn't pitch dark.

& totally coincidentally when I came downstairs this morning it was the gloomiest its been in a while & i needed to tun the lights on in the kitchen (heavy cloud cover in reality the cause) but it made me think that the dark mornings & evenings are on the way, albeit months away in reality before we notice it in any significant way.

• Advertisement

Yea, very dull here as well. Have lights on in the kitchen as working downstairs this morning. The OH needs the office/attic for a training course this morning.

As much as I love the summer, warm, bright and sunny (sometimes!) weather, there is something about the dark, cold winter evenings, with the fire going and the Christmas anticipation building, that is hard to beat.

Its the 2 extremes I like best. Long summer nights & long dark winter ones (pre christmas) too. Winter post Christmas in January is less appealing.

As I've gotten older I appreciate the seasons more though, I love clear crisp frosty mornings & I get a sense of enormous well being seeing everything that to come to life in the spring & the days start to brighten, then I love the end of summer/autumnal time of year with the colours changing with the leaves on tree's etc. (I think thats my favourite time of year to go for walks in the parks etc.) There's something about each of the seasons that I enjoy, as long as the worst of the wind & rain can stay away!! I think thats why I tend to have landscaped seasonal themed desktop backgrounds on my PC that I change for each season... I just get a natural comfort from each of them and their individual characteristics (even if they are idealogical!)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

We've had a fairly cloudy couple of days here so the 'longest day of the year' was pretty dull. Went for a beach walk last night with my sister, there was a cold breeze and a lot of cloud though the sun broke through the clouds a little towards the end. Summer my eye 😁

So very true & he had to go to creche much younger than the others - I had gotten a new job & it was my ticket out of a really soul-destroying hateful job so I had to send him in 😭 I felt so guilty but he absolutely thrived in creche & he still loves it! Which is great because after-school also beckons in September 😛

I'm actually roasting this morning! Very grey here but it feels very heavy - have the window open beside me to try and generate some air

I remember back to when Elf1 started creche. She was only 9 months old as OH had to go back to work. We felt terrible about leaving in her in all day however when I read up about it, they have no real concept of time so they don't know the difference between being there for an hour or 8 hours! Made us feel slightly better about it.

Like you CL, we were lucky that all of ours didn't mind going in and they came on leaps and bounds interacting with other children their own age.

• Advertisement

Our air con in work is broken, so the current heat/humidity is just awful!!

Morning all

Another dull and muggy start here.

Got Elf2's end of year school show at lunchtime. Elf1 had her school tour yesterday (went to Croker-had a blast). This day next week is the start of their summer holidays.

Morning all! At 34 weeks pregnant I am LOVING this cooler start to the day 🤣 Last night was just too hot!!

Little man and I are still under the weather unfortunately so no swimming lessons for him today. We've nothing planned for the weekend so just gonna rest up as much as we can 🙂 Thank goodness for Disney+....we're currently watching Toy Story 3 😁

Hope everyone's keeping well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭Jude13

Good to hear you are keeping well jellybear and the pregnancy is going well.

@DvB having only two seasons here sucks and I really miss a crisp frosty morning. I used to love to turn up to training early in the morning and see the white frosted fields.

Feeling very stressed at the moment, a carry over from cases in London and new deliverables. I downloaded 'Classical Christmas' on spotify this morning, I was so tempted to play it to cheer me up but thought I would try and hold of Christmas tunes for at least one more day.

Funnily enough I've managed to abstain from any Christmas music far more this year than in any other recent year, I used to dip into Christmas FM classical reasonably regularly when WFH but with work being breakneck all year I rarely get the chance to think about background music unfortunately. I wonder how long before the urge kicks in though... usually its work stress that sends me running for comfort music so I doubt it'll be much longer now!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭tscul32

I stuck on Christmas fm classical last week but it was all Carol's so it just felt wrong. I love the more orchestral as l works, could listen to the anytime, but I was afraid I'd start singing along, out loud, at work.

What is happening with the weather this weekend? I've a dozen Cubs in Roscommon this weekend for a camping trip and there's a yellow rain and thunderstorm warning for Friday and Saturday with a risk of spot flooding. We've a load of outdoor activities booked too. We're not afraid of a bit of rain but don't want to have sleep on the bus if the tents get flooded😱

Major envy to anyone hitting the sun, enjoy it. I'm off to the uk the following weekend but not expecting a heatwave.

Hope everyone who is not well gets better soon.

And yes, the school years fly. My youngest is heading into 5th class. He was saying in two years he'd be in secondary school. I could just about cope with that until he pointed out that the oldest will be finished school by then. That one stung!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭Jude13

Echoing the school years, our eldest is JC next year and youngest going in to 'big' school from creche.

Morning all

Happy Friday

More summer like start here, sunny and warm.

@tscul32 hope the camping goes well and the weather isn't as bad a s forecast.

Yeah, that summer like start isnae gonna last too long... forecast for the afternoon is woejus!!

It really is awful - rain for the entire weekend! We are hoping to go fruit picking tomorrow! Need to sort out a fence in our garden that blew down in a storm during the winter & I've new hedging that I want to get planted. Not to mention the sports, Elf2 has GAA this evening, soccer tomorrow morning & Elf1 has a soccer match tomorrow evening - we'll be soaked 😥

But there is a silver lining... this weekend is officially half way to Christmas. Tomorrow (the 25th) is halfway in months (& Rudolph day no.6 of 11), & Sunday which is week 26 on the countdown is half way in weeks... so we're over the crest of the hill come Monday & slowly starting our descent into Christmas 2022!!

Crazy that by Monday it will closer to Christmas 2022 then Christmas 2021!!

I'm not sure it will be possible this year, but usually the second half of the year goes by even quicker than the first half.

Its been a common theme in here this year as to how fast it seems to be going, maybe we say that every year though. That or this being the first year post the peak covid restrictions or suchlike has skewed our view of the year as it really has seemed to have flown to this point.

Surely it cant go any faster!?

• Advertisement
Advertisement