Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,020 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

The Shopping Centers in Cork generally have a Share Crib(A charity that offer accommodation) and there's a big one in the city.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭tscul32

I'm just at the end of it now thankfully but the eldest seems to have it and is not impressed that he can't stay at home and miss his exams (5th year).

One of the Christmas Lights nearly went on fire Today!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭polydactyl

The Lego winter village is done…..the family can do the rest!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,112 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Brilliant

Love a good mini train set myself, sadly never had the room or patience ha for one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭Jude13

Mother of god!! That is unreal, when did you start that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

That lego Christmas Village is amazing and polydactl!!

I usually get a big set every Christmas but I might need to build up a festive batch. Do you dismantle them each year or box as is?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 25,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

That Lego village 😍😍

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭polydactyl

Aww thanks, usually an observer but knew you folks would get it. I started collecting the pieces in 2016 and they release a new “holiday” set every year. This year it was the music shop, toy shop and tram on the “street”

I totally dismantled it one year we moved and the other half threatened to divorce me when it took 6 weeks to put back together 😂

So while the 100 “ residents” and all the mini scenes like the winter market and the park, lights, tracks, raised sections etc etc all get totally dismantled the main buildings are carefully put away in an old Christmas tree box….but inevitably fall off but that’s the fun.

assembly usually takes place over a few days and takes about 8 hours 😂 the lights all twinkle and santas sleigh plays Christmas music but I can’t post a video.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,877 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Love seeing the cribs when out and about - especially the larger size ones :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,931 ✭✭✭✭L1011

My Lego display has most but not all of those sets, and possibly one or two older ones from the series. Hard to see all that are there.

Don't have the space for as sensible a display! Also they get dismantled and rebuilt and so far this year, only the new set is built - the house renovation from hell is limiting what I have time and/or space for

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

@polydactyl that Lego set up is amazing. Just showed it to one of the Elves and they want one now!!

First step of Operation Decorations completed last night. With 'help' from the 3 elves got all the stuff out of the eves and into the attic room. Will bring them downstairs tonight and then start to get them sorted tomorrow so ready for Friday. First freshen up wash of the Christmas jumpers/pj's and Christmas related clothes gone on as well.

Every year I forget just how much stuff we have!!

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭xDisneyDivax

Ah sorry its been that long since I posted here- I got so many Christmas outfits for each baby's first Christmas and I justified it by getting them made into their stockings lol.

I'm Deaf so I never listened to radio and there is def a lot less hype around the Toy Show. I'll not lie the one in 2020 put me off hugely just because I didn't feel Covid should have been mentioned in it and it should be kept innocent, Christmas and magic is immune to Covid! :P

Got the tree up last night and ran out of cluster lights! 4000 lights on Nebraska and I didn't even reach most of top half yet :O Got some more this morning so hope to get back to it this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭A cup of te

I really love that photo of Cork from fresh popcorn! That is my kind of Christmas decoration. I still love the old style decorations. So colourful before the era of the cold blue led lights. You are more inclined to get the bright sparkly stuff now in random independent poundshops. I got retro garland and one of those old foil bells in one of those recently.

Smell the glove or anyone else in Waterford - I'm trying to plan a bit of annual leave here and might stay in Waterford for one night and take in Winterval when there. I was checking the website and am I right in saying the market and Waterford Eye is open everyday? Are the amusements open every day like the carousel and that? It does read like that to me but if any of you are actually in Waterford City and know for sure I just said I'd ask. It'd be great to go mid week. It looks fab. Love those photos from smell the glove.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Hello everyone - back from an extended break from everything. One of the kids had an operation towards the end of October & I had to take a month off work/life/breathing to take care of them. But we are back in the land of the living now & ramping up for Christmas!

• Advertisement

Good to have you back CL, hopefully the little one is making a good recovery.

Here's Kevin switching on the Christmas lights!

Has anybody seen the Gingerbread muffins or Cinnamon cronuts at Lidl?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭tscul32

I've looked for them a few times. One time I found just two muffins and it was quite late and they looked like they'd been there for a while so I left them. Have 2 branches close to me but still haven't found them. Kind of given up now.

I see a space for the muffins but there never in stock haven't seen any sign of the cronuts.

• Advertisement

Thanks TRS, she has to learn to walk again but the worst is over us now!

@polydactyl that Lego village is goals! It's awesome!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Best wishes @CheerLouth for her continued recovery this Christmas and in the new year. ❤️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭jellybear

Wishing your daughter all the best in her recovery @CheerLouth 🙂 Lovely to have you back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Nope have looked for the cronuts a few times and nothing.

Morning all

First tree is up. Kids insisted we put up the one in the playroom last night (fake). OH and I did the lights and kids did the decorations. We gave them totally control so it's interesting to say the least. I could see the OH cringe at some their selections/placement 😂 Was good fun though and a nice lead into do the rest of the decorations on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,328 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

I've been singing christmas tunes all morning and i don't even have christmas fm on yet

@TRS30 I remember seeing a program before and they said you'd need a drink and some Nurofen when doing the tree with the kids and then you'd have too redo it when their gone to bed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Realised on my drive in to the office this morning that it was the last time this year I'll do it without Chriatmas FM to keep me company!!

That's a Win in my book!!!

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 25,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Tomorrow is one of the best days of the season, hopefully I'll be back to full strength for it, started getting sick around 4.30pm yesterday, have a gastro bug!! :(

imperfect timing!!

Fingers crossed you'll bounce back for tomorrow!

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement

Yes, were a few moments where a stiff drink would have come in handy 🤣

Couple of mince pies will settle that right down!!

Hopefully you feel better by tomorrow.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I had a look in Homestore and More last night - I had no money to spend but an impromptu look around and they had some lovely candles and little light holders and things. And today all of their Cashel Living stuff is half price - thank God I had no money last night 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 6,328 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Buying Christmas hampers and I just wished the person on the other line a happy Christmas. It's not too early for me, but for the rest of the world it might not be. 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Best wishes to you and your little one @CheerLouth

@xDisneyDivax thank you for that idea I might look into getting some Christmas items made from Christmas clothes etc from the baby

@TRS30 is there a pic of the tree yet?

@DvB I was the same driving home from getting my nails done last night I was like this time 2 weeks I’ll have Christmas fm on for the drive home in the car on my own , I went for red nails yesterday elves after all it is the toyshow tomorrow 😀

I hope your on the mend soon @Loughc

Happy thanksgiving all

We wrote our USA cards today and a card for our friends in Portugal hopefully we can get a quick walk to the post office this afternoon get the steps in, I’m posting early this year the last couple of years they haven’t arrived till Spring

I have to root my address book out for the rest

picked up the mince pies from M&S yesterday as was passing very tasty think il grab one now with a coffee while the little one naps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,931 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Oven installed.

Turkey joint obtained despite all the Americans looking for them (lots around where I live due to specific employers)

All the veg etc bought

November Christmas is on for tomorrow. I might even watch the you show after, albeit I usually don't!

Don't think it's ready for public consumption quite yet. OH wants to do some sneaky change!!

Love Actually

Its D-Day!!!

Decorating day!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭pigtail33

The Christmas edition of Ireland's Own is now on sale. I got a copy for my parents yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Happy Toy Show Day! This years theme has been announced at The Wizard of Oz

Was saying to the OH last night, my only gripe with LLTS is that it is on too late. Pity they don't have it on from 7.30 to 9pm

This! We love watching it but I know that between 7.30 (normal bedtime) & 9.30pm when it starts, the kids will be royal pains in the you-know-what...they do be wrecked by the time it starts. I've told them that we have to do a pretend bedtime as it's the only way the smallest elf will go to bed, but I wouldn't be surprised if the middle elf also fell asleep - he loves his leaba!

So decoration question elves. Do ye wrap the lights around the tree or use a zig zag method?

I’ve seen a professional decorator recommending the zig zag method.

I zig zag if you won't see the back, wrap around if it's a tree in front or a window or in a hallway.

• Advertisement

We wrap, tried the zig zag one year and we weren't happy with it, the small gap saved at the back made it negligible. We just overload on lights to get the result we want 😀

Thanks folks going to stick with the old tried and tested wrap around so!

It's Friday, a lovely bright winters day out, my boss is off, I'm sitting in my kitchen looking at a lit, decorated Christmas tree and have Christmas FM on in the background.

Life doesn't get much better!

My sinuses are in bits and I've a bad cold but it's Friday, both my managers are off and I'm able to work from my cosy bed and it isn't covid!

Thankfully I don't have anything on this weekend, so I'll be able to chill. My boyfriend is working the weekend so we're not putting up the decorations till next Wednesday or so.I'll have time to be back to normal by then.

• Advertisement
Advertisement