Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Happy Monday Elves - last Monday of November! It's all kicking off now - got the email from the school about the dates for December & YAY, the Christmas Concert is BACK! I actually can't wait! The last time they had a Christmas Concert, our eldest was in Junior Infants, she is in 2nd class now! Thankfully, they are running it over two days to not have as many people in the hall & we are on the second day TG so it doesn't clash with our Causey Farm excursion!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Happy Monday everyone

I hope everyone had a great weekend

Nice weekend had a festive afternoon tea in the Westin Saturday with a pal for her birthday it was fab, the whole Westin decorated beautifully staff were brilliant we are already talking about going again next year, we went in December 2019

The pianist played Fairytale of New York it was fab

Brought my little one around the corner yesterday evening to see some houses lit up,

Feeling abit tired the past week Sinuses have me feeling not the best going to try get some early nights this week and eat better get myself ready for the season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,020 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I went to Whitewater in Newbridge this morning to start my Christmas shopping. Presents nearly sorted now for some people.

However I then went to Kildare Village(Very busy) and really looked after myself.

Post edited by freshpopcorn on

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Love it! A few years ago I used to buy one present then inevitably would buy something nice for myself and then feel like I'd loads done 😂 I must revive this tradition of buying myself a Christmas presetn, thanks for reminding me @freshpopcorn !!

I'm telling myself they were my Belated Birthday present to. Hopefully I don't have anymore accidently shopping trips between now and Christmas. I was very happy with a pair of Timberland boots I for for €88 normally online they were about €150.

I've still a few gifts to get for people and no idea what to get for them. I've sort of decided not to go to over the top with some people this year.(Well that's the plan).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 25,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Less than 3 weeks until my Christmas holidays start!!

Going to be a manic 3 weeks but we can do this!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭buzzerxx

St Stephens Green shopping centre

Post edited by buzzerxx on

Brown Thomas. sorry, i dont know how it went sideways but a good neck exercise 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭antimatterx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Dec 22nd for me, but off then until Jan 9th... 3 weeks of stress and bedlam between now and then though.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭A cup of te

I often think I should take Christmas off but I always seem to end up working. I reason that I prefer the build up anyway. One year I took the week before it off and that was brilliant because I could really soak up the atmosphere. This year I'm actually off this week and heading to Waterford today :) cannot wait to see the decorations!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Looks like the project I'm on is paused due to legal issues so not sure what means for the next couple of weeks! Have a meeting later so should know more.

Either way will be working till the 22nd and then be off till the 3rd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,931 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Always work at Christmas. Usually on call with no calls the days between Christmas and New Year, this year it looks like I'll be on but 100% remote so I intend to be in the holiday house unless weather is just too bad.

Change freeze mid December usually makes the last week or so *very* quiet even though we'd be at near peak busyness in terms of customers.

I'm in until December 21st and not back until Jan 3rd, but I might have one day of AL that I haven't used this year so might use that & postpone the return to work until the 4th. This is the first year in yonks that I don't have to work between Christmas & the New Year & I am over the moon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭pigtail33

I think I need to plan my annual leave a bit better! I'm working right up until Dec 22nd, then again on the 28th/29th and back to normal from Jan 3rd. We're very quiet in work at the moment, so I'm managing to get festive bits and pieces done when I should be WFH, but I still can't fully commit to the festivities when I have to keep checking the laptop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Finishing up next week (7th) and not back until the 3rd 😁

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 25,018 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Drives me mad also. Take a screen shot and then upload it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Hi everyone

Not sure this is the right place to ask, but am wondering if anyone has seen breaded brie in any shops? I'd like to have it as a starter for Xmas dinner but I don't know if anywhere is selling it as haven't been able to get out to shops myself yet. From what I see online, M&S, Dunnes, Lidl, Aldi or Tesco don't have it.

Nice one @freshpopcorn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,112 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Going to the Cure on Thursday in Dublin, cant wait. Going to continue my journey of Dublin pubs and planning on dropping into The Cobblestone for a pint. Although it was a bit cringe at times i did enjoy the series on RTE about the pub

Christmas related event of the day was i bought a pack of puds in ALDI ha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭BK5

Last day of November Guys!! Yikes! 😮😮😊

Prepping advent calendars is today's task. Have the panto on Friday so things are really starting to ramp up on a daily basis now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭Jude13

Went out for a couple of festive pints last night with the FIL. Had 5 and am in very bad shape today. Going to try and make baileys truffles today.

Circle K have just started a 'Spin To Win' competition

Usually it's a chocolate, crisps, minerals, coffees, car washes etc. that you can win. Someone on the Bargain Alert forum just won a Christmas Pud though!!! No win for me today. You get three spins a day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,877 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Looks great!

i saw as well the crib with live animals will now be in St Stephens Green - relocated there from outside the Mansion House.

It actually looks like a much more suitable location in St Stephens Green.

They are working to have it open by the 8th of December !!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Quick q, please - I know that the year people have a bereavement they usually don't send Christmas cards, but is it ok (as in, is it the done thing) to send them one?

Personally I think it would be. A nice message to let them know you're thinking of them can only be a good thing!

• Advertisement

December tomorrow, wow wow wow, we are so close! No more saying next month from tomorrow!

Absolutely, I always send them one & mention the person who has passed.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,394 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

If you want to find a really Christmassy vibe, try The Gingerman on Fenian St - it's around the corner from Pearse St Station/Westland Row and they go all out with the Christmas decs inside.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CljVNBxNeC_/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Thanks folks.

I was going to send them one if these with the card, but I wasn't sure if I was breaching some "mourning protocol".

I got a good few last year, they were great as Christmas presents, too, but they've changed the presentation slightly this year so they are now very much memorial robins. They're still absolutely gorgeous, though (no affiliation, just a happy customer).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

afternoon everyone mid week already, had to check the date earlier time going very fast

Had hoped to have a quick gander in Blanchardstown Shopping Centre earlier but had banking to do and it was just a disaster, managed a quick little look at decorations and singing Yeti with the little one would have loving to pick up a thing or two but no luck was pressed for time after the bank

Trying to get onto my Bord Gais online accounts but seem to be having a clitch there too

I did lamb shank yesterday for dinner and prepared a stew for today looking forward to that later, Ive Nigella meatballs and sauce for later in the week I feel somewhat organised might do dinners like that Christmas week then you don't feel like your cooking as much

I did some shopping online over the weekend I had birthday money there managed to nab a thermo waterproof coat I had my eye on its really great quality

that's lovely to do @New Home its nice comfort for them to think in the hustle and bustle at this time of year people stopping and keeping others in their thoughts

Have a great day everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭gidget

Ordered my 2023 wall & desk calendars & a diary today. So many beautiful designs, I usually go for some animal themed ones.

Post edited by gidget on

I had my first hot chocolate of the season yesterday, just one from Insomnia with some marshmallows in it but it was delicious and perfect 😁

The Christmas lights were up in town too though I was in during the day, I'll have to go back another evening for the full effect 😁

Advent fever in full flow here, kids have been filling out their treat ones and have surprise books ones that the Elves will bring later.

I read that too fast and was confused when I read that Elvis was bringing the kids some Advent calendars 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,931 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Bought another set of 250 lights in Woodies today. Only realised when I had got home that they were white - which I really don't like - rather than warm white. Would prefer almost yellow actually, but nobody really does that.

But they're also IP44, outdoor capable. So they're going to be 'tastefully' shoved in to one of the larger plants in the back garden I think!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭A cup of te

Just back from Winterval in beautiful Waterford. Well, that was brilliant and really helped with getting into the Christmas spirit. The Granville was fab and really well decorated for Christmas, had a spin on the Port of Waterford Eye which gives you a lovely view of the lights, watched the ice skating (not brave enough to give it a go. I play the drums so don't wanna break or hurt arms or legs ;-)), beautiful Christmas craft fair in one of the buildings with lots of handmade goods. Bought chocolates and decorations in there. Guineys had lovely Christmas stuff too. Went out to Tramore and the arcades and Dooleys have lovely christmassy shop fronts. Loved it. Wish I was off for another few weeks to soak up the Christmas cheer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭Demonique

Has anyone seen Beauty and the Beast?

Where's the time going

Both scary and exciting

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I still miss fairy lights- I've never seen a LED that has the same golden glow as they used to, sigh.

It's DECEMBER, what is happening??! 😯😁

Happy December everyone

One month left of 2022, I repeat one month left of 2022. WTH 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 6,328 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Happy December 1st!!!!!

Happy December!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭BK5

They are rare and maybe I've only seen them in the M50 Christmas Shop but if you could keep an eye out for Amber White lights then they would be as close to a gold white glow as you can get.

My wife is so fussy about warm white now she lines up the sets of lights to make sure they are all the same shade of warm white. 😄

Happy best month of the year guys 😁

Go from feeling relaxed that have things in hand to mild panic there is still so much to do!!

That's not fussy, it's perfectly normal!! There's a house on my road with warm white lights on the tree, which you can see from the window, but they have almost blue white lights up outside. My brain can't handle it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement