Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭tscul32

Well I got the shot, 2nd booster, yesterday at lunchtime. Hit me harder than any of the others did. My arm started hurting last night and I usually sleep on that side so didn't get a great sleep (neither did OH with me saying ow when I'd accidentally roll over). But I feel like I was hit by a freight train today and my stomach is in rag order. Might think twice about the next one.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Beautiful evening out there. Clearish sky. Big moon. Great evening for a walk nice way to end the long weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭BK5

Hope people on here and their families that haven't been well feel better soon, very best wishes.

Went to my home town yesterday and met up with the clan for food and a few drinks in the local hotel. 17 of us spread over 4 generations met up and it was wonderful. Times like that always remind me of Christmas because it really is what life is all about.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Oh dear! 😖 Hope you are feeling better asap.

My arm is usually pretty sore after any Covid or Flu jab, it's so annoying, I wish it could just be a pill!

I try to get vaccines on a Friday or weekend so they won't effect work, think I'll do the same for the next one because they can leave you a bit woozy alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,516 ✭✭✭✭DvB

I was very lucky, for all of my covid jabs i had the sore upper arm for a day or so but nothing else really, maybe a little tired but nothing else that springs to mind. Never had any reaction at all to flu jabs, so I've been lucky.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Morning all, wasn't that a lovely long weekend! All hail St. Brigid! We had a lovely weekend - kids parties on Saturday, went to the zoo on Sunday (was jammers) and then had a lovely relaxed day yesterday. The kids had playdates, then we went for a lovely long walk along the river. It was super chilled. I've a short week again next week with the midterm. Going to book W5 and take the kids up. Had hoped to book a night away, but have left it too late of course!

Funnily enough we were just saying last night that the weekend seemed really long for a standard bank holiday weekend and it actually felt like a nice break. The timing is superb too so its a great addition to the calendar.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Has been some great big moons recently. We have three skylights in the kitchen and sometimes it seems like the lights are on because it is so bright from the moon.

That sound great @BK5 love big family get togethers.

Hope you feel better soon @tscul32 my arm was the same on every one I have got so far. Went away pretty quickly though so hopefully yours will too.

Sounds like a lovely weekend @CheerLouth great to be able to get out and enjoy the nice weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭pigtail33

I wasn't going to bother with the latest booster, but I was eligible just after Christmas, when there was the usual Winter Covid peak, so I booked in the day it opened for my age group. I had a bit of a sore arm with both boosters, but thankfully no other symptoms. I've managed to avoid getting Covid so far, and I'm hoping it stays like that. I think it will eventually become a yearly one, just like the flu jab, changing slightly each year, depending on the variant.

@TRS30 I've noticed the moons the last few nights too, very big and extra bright.

Had a lovely extra long Bank Holiday weekend. I took Fri off work, last minute, and headed into Dublin city centre for my first browse around in three years. Didn't buy much, but had a nice coffee and lunch in town and the weather was lovely, so it was great to be out and about. Then out for dinner in Siam Thai on Sunday night. The start of Feb really is perfect timing for a Bank Holiday weekend!

• Advertisement

Was it the Siam Thai in Malahide @pigtail33 ? is one of my favourite restaurants, love the upstairs tables.

Yes, The one in Malahide! We were in the section to the left of the main entrance, it almost felt like it was outside, they even use a gas heater in that section. The food is always so tasty though and really big portions. We were all stuffed. Malahide seemed pretty empty when we left the restaurant around 11:30. The Bank Holiday mustn't have caught on yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I love Siam Thai!I was there in January but wouldn't mind another visit soon.

I love the Greedy Goose too. I still miss Oscar Taylors for a casual but nice dinner.It was perfect for my parents who aren't adventurous food wise but liked a bit of a selection.

I notice this as well when out over Christmas. The village seemed quieter then normal. Not sure of the reason, guess the cost of living is forcing people to cut back maybe.

Yes, like those places as well.

The Grand Hotel do a lovely carvery and is usually not too busy and guaranteed parking as well.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Big fan of Siam Thai in Malahide myself.

Met location confirmed so haha

The long weekend for once did feel long, agreed with @DvB it really is a great spot in the calendar for a bank holiday. Only 4 weeks to go for the next one, will definitely be adding to that to make it a super sized weekend.

• Advertisement

Was out cycling with the kids yesterday and everyone seemed in great form. Not sure if the nice weather or the extra day off, January finally over or most likely a combination of all.

Is a fabulously timed BH and one that I already look forward to next year.

And even at only 39 days gap between the Feb and March bank holidays it is actually the longest gap we will have for a bank holiday for a while until the Gap between June and Aug ones.

March, April and May bank holidays come in quick succession there after. One quarter of the way through February already so we are motoring now!

Having a bank holiday in February, March, April, May and June is pretty good going.

In England they have no b/hol until Easter, and no b/hol after August (until Christmas). Bleurgh!

It'll probably take a couple years to build up momentum- like, a lot of people go away for Easter or head off for a few days in May, whereas nobody will have any 'traditions' for this one yet. Plus, weather wise it's not going to be an outdoorsy bank hol, unlike the other scorchers we have later in the season. 😂😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,145 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I love the Malahide one but was very ill after eating in another branch.

Haven't had Thai in a while, you're giving me cravings now 🤣

I kinda like having a bank holiday with no expectations. All the other ones can get busy if that makes sense.

• Advertisement

It does! Especially after the madness of Christmas, it's nice to have a more chilled out weekend. 🙂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭tscul32

I had lovely scampi and chips last week in Gibneys. All the above restaurants are in my favourites list, even oul Oscar's.

Amazing moon this evening when walking the dog.

Looking out my back kitchen window, to the left the sun is coming up and clouds are those lovely burnt red/orange colour, to the right a big bright moon is still clearly visible. Love this time of the morning.

Agree @Loughc re the new BH and not having any expectations, takes the pressure off thinking you have to do something.

Nice bright morning here - have hung the clothes out in yet another futile attempt at drying them outdoors. Think it is still too cold yet.

I agree it's nice to have a chilled out Bank Holiday weekend - there's always so much else happening at Easter & the Summer BHs.

After the madness of Christmas it's a nice Bank Holiday to ease yourself into the new year.

I can't get over how bright it is in the mornings now. It really feels like Winter is well over now.

Temperature is still quite chilly out there, don't be fooled by the sunshine.

Baltic here in westport, drive down was very gloomy too, hoping it brightens up a tad for the journey home later.

So cold. Just hung a second wash out and my fingers were in bits when I came in with the cold...there's a bite in that wind!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭BK5

The Winter will have a couple of stings in it's tail yet before we can say it's over for sure.

There was a Paddy's Day a few years ago (pre-covid) and it was genuinely bitter cold that day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,997 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Paddy's day is pretty much guaranteed to be a manky day.

Though I think we got lovely weather one of the covid ones as I remember laughing saying "typical,no parade to freeze at and sun is shining"

I remember snow in Killarney on the May bank holiday weekend in the late 90s so I'm under no illusion that we're done with cold weather

I think we actually had two really nice Paddy's Days during the lockdowns. I remember the weather in 2020 was lovely during the first lockdown & the following year, the sun was shining but it was still cold as we decorated the kids tractors with flags & bunting, put on some hi-diddly-i music on the bluetooth speaker & they pedaled around the garden while I sat with a cuppa, waving a little flag every time they went passed me

That reminds me of St. Patrick's Day 2021. The kids on my road had their own little parade. One of the parents even made a little float that was attached to a kids tractor. It was a really sunny day and definitely warm for mid-March. It was great to have a parade to go to just outside the house. Everyone brought out their garden furniture, so we got to sit around afterwards and have a few drinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭jellybear

That is hilarious...like something out of Fr Ted 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,898 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Thats so funny Cheerlouth, thank god my St patricks day parades are over, boys now too old not intereseted, so a relaxing day for me, wont miss that trying to park the car, trying to find a good view for kids and that 6ft 5" man always stoppeds in front of you, where to eat afterwards without a massive queue, then the traffic trying to get home and then theres the weather!

• Advertisement

Wasn't the snow in 2018 in March too? Complete with Christmas FM back for the day!!

Suspect we've at least 1 cold snap left before we can put the hats, scarves and gloves away.

This was taken on 1st March 2018. My husband put the reindeer out for the occasion.

You are correct. That was the beast from the east. Started on 28th Feb and ran to the 4th of March.

Beast from the East, the bestest few days ever! 😁

It really was. The excitement watching the snow fall and build. And then the return of ChristmasFM for one day only.

Speaking of cold snaps, car was an ice cube at 6.15am this morning when leaving for work, took me a few minutes to scrape the windscreen & windows free of frost/ice.

Was only thinking on the drive in, I'm looking forward to driving to & from work in daylight, I'm bored with the night driving at this stage & could do with some light, looking forward to the summer months now. Love the longer brighter evenings.

Post edited by DvB on

• Advertisement

My car is still an ice cube. Sun coming up over howth so it will thaw within the hour. Grass was white this morning too.

Not if you had travel plans. Was supposed to be going to the UK for a loved one's special birthday. Total nightmare.

Chilly one out there this morning. Winter is hanging on in there!

Not sure how I would feel about snow in March this year....

I just got my gas and electricity bill for Dec-Jan. I’m not well after seeing it.

Im praying for a tropical March now 😂😂

My MIL got her gas bill last week - €1000.00. She just wouldn't listen and had the heating on all day every day.

• Advertisement
Advertisement