Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 25,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

The poor woman that is criminal!! How is anyone expected to afford €1,000.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Its scary what bills some people are getting these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Is that before or after the €200 credit is applied 😉

I was stunned to see on my latest bill that I'm €93 in credit and thats before the 200 is counted too... as the bills are spread across 4 months still the same deducted though ☹️

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 25,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I was shook to see it after my €200 credit. Could you imagine my reaction if I didn’t have the €200 credit!

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

My last electricity bill was around €260 I think. I was sick to realise that without a few euro credit left over from the last bill, a €10 off from a Supervalu rewards voucher and the €200 credit, the bill would have just been tipping €500! And it's not like the gas bills are cheap as chips either!!

I hope they are going to keep this going, or people will be sick with worry about their bills come next autumn/winter. 😐

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

To be fair, keeping it on all day everyday is abit silly especially when we are all aware of how the prices were increasing.

While there were some cold days it has been a mild enough winter. Different if we had weeks of snow etc.

There has to be a certain amount of personal responsibility too. Unless there's people in every room of the house , there's really no need to be heating the full house all day. A few throws on the chairs, draft excluders on the doors and keeping the doors closed will keep you comfortabley cosy for the most part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,922 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Exactly. There's just no talking to some people, this is a woman who just will not listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

We are on a level pay arrangement so while the big bill come in, we just pay the same amount all year. I find easier to budget when there isn't one large bills (apart from the lovely unexpected ones!).

While snow would be great, in the bigger scheme of things, the weather warming up would be good for everyone bill wise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

I've just submitted our electricity readings & it's giving an estimated bill of nearly 550euro! That includes our heating as well so on a grand scale, its not awful, but still feel a bit shocked thinking of it as I have been very mindful of what we are using.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,159 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Electricity bill came in and account is in credit. Such a relief. In fairness I was 50 euro in credit on the last bill and then electric Ireland gave customers a 50 euro credit at Christmas so those two saved the day. Bill is higher than usual but a smart meter so accurate rather than estimated. Gas bill due next week and I'm terrified as it covers the snow time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭pigtail33

I was out of contract with my current supplier yesterday. Last year, I had signed up to a 33% discount with them and none of the current offers even come close to that. My last bills were the highest they've ever been and the next one is going to jump another third or so. It really is terrifying. I'm lucky to be in a position to be able to pay the bills (albeit by making adjustments elsewhere) but there are so many who just wouldn't have the extra money needed. Food or fuel is not a decision anyone should have to make.

I suspect our saving grace is the 2 weeks we were away over Christmas. I made sure the gas central heating was off and all electrical applicances were unplugged before we left too (more for safety reasons than cost TBH)

I submit meter readings monthly now as it helps stop the silly estimates that had been way out of proportion when they used them, we always had huge bill spreads (same bill for 4 months at time) and then much smaller ones when there was a series of estimates as we'd inevitably run up credit. So since submitting monthly they have balanced out across the last 12 months with our last review kicking in for Feb with the monthly bill staying the same (as we're in credit anything else would have been suspect) which is hugely helpful when budgeting months in advance.

Just submitted a gas reading this morning as well. I like how my provider sends me an email to remind and it takes 5 secs to do on the app.

I try to watch what we use as well however with kids and the damp weather the dryer has been used more then I would have liked however has to be done.

Crazy to think that this Tuesday is officially half way through February. February really isn't hanging around this year!

There's talk of a "Beast From The East" type event towards end of this month/early MARCH. After seeing my Gas bill I really hope it's not the case, although I'm 99.9% certain there won't be any such event. The Beast from the east was once in a lifetime event, the minute media outlets report it's happening again I get the ick and go yeah that's not going to happen.

Agree, it's sensationalist nonsense. Won't happen. I don't doubt it'll get cooler but snow and stuck at home won't be happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭BK5

Wasn't in work 20 minutes yesterday morning and knew I'd have to go home again, I picked up this stomach bug that's been going around and boy did I have a day of it yesterday! My Father had it last week and he suffered for a couple of days as well. Don't feel too bad this morning, hopefully it's behind me now.

The wife and I were supposed to go to a hotel for a break today and we ended up cancelling it, anyway enough moaning, hope everyone has a great weekend.

Ah I feel your pain mate I had a stomach bug again last weekend from midnight Friday until noon Sunday.

I made up for it Sunday night and Monday haha 😂

Hopefully you’ll recover quick enough.

• Advertisement

We've had it in our house too @BK5 - hope you fell better soon.

Thanks very much, my biggest concern is that I've now brought it into the house. Don't want anyone else to get it, I'm not 100% but ten times better than yesterday so I'll go around with disinfectant today wiping everything down.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Had it myself in mid January, a miserable few days alright. 😖 Hope you feel better soon, @BK5 and keep your fluids up!

Best thing I did was over do it on the fluids. It seem to flush things out quicker.

Another big win in the 6 nations. Why do we always peak in a World Cup year but then crash out of the World Cup wayyy too early.

Don't know why we haven't a least one semi final appearance in at least the last 4 or 5 world cups, we've had strong teams during the last 20 years. Sometimes we plane the prep or the camp and other times we got mauled by teams we were well able to beat.

When we beat Australia in 2011 I thought we were on our way that year.

• Advertisement

That should read "sometimes we BLAME the prep or the camp" 😊

Luck of the draw, drawing the all blacks at the QF stage seems to happen regularly, the real killers were 2011 losing to Wales when we'd already beaten them earlier in the year and 2015 losing to Argentina with half a team because of injuries to key players suffered in the final group game v france.

Even this year we've a solid chance of getting the all blacks in the quarter finals again and could easily go out at that stage again.

Not a bother, thanks for asking. Big improvement yesterday from Friday and grand this morning. The wife and myself missed out on a night away in a hotel because of it though. Might even get out for a bit of dinner this afternoon if she fancies it.

Should use the last two days of eating hardly anything as a kick start for losing a few pounds. 😄

Stunning day out there today. An Absolutely gorgeous spring day.

Walk done for the day. 👍🏻

• Advertisement

Anyone staying up to watch the SuperBowl tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭A cup of te

I've never actually seen a game of American Football but I'm really curious about it lately. If it wasn't on so late I'd have a look! I discovered there's an Irish league which is starting up again soon so I'm thinking of going to see the local team and see what it's all about. The only thing is though I'm afraid I won't know when to cheer :-P must read the rules!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Isnt that the entertainment and advertising show that gets interrupted every now and again by a thing called American football 👀😂😂

Yep, Go Birds! Going to try and stay up for first half, hit the hay and then watch the second half when get up.

@BK5 hope you feeling better.

Hope all had a nice weekend. All packed and ready to hit the road in the morning .

Some game that. Right result too, Mahomes is a class act.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

The only bit of the superbowl I care about is the halftime show so I'm happy enough to catch up on that the next day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,903 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I saw a Superb Owl at the petting zoo at Mountcharles Pier (Salthill Cabin) yesterday, that'll do me instead

Morning gang, short week for me this week with the school midterm. Have taken the two days off to be with the kiddos. Going to soft play on Thursday & W5 on Friday.

I made it as far as 14-14 and then tapped out. Caught the highlights on the bus journey into work this morning, really was a fantastic game.

Short week for me too, have the Friday booked off!

• Advertisement

Happy Valentines Day! Love and health to everyone on the Christmas forum ❤️

Many happy returns @BK5 . Hope everyone has a great day 😍.

Going for a short week next week myself, Rudolf Day eve i'm taking off as we've a busy weekend that weekend. TBH despite the bank holiday weekend I feel like I need even a single day off as life is hectic at the moment.

Happy Love Day, elves! This day last year I was in the depths of Covid, just home after my blue-light ambulance spin to the hospital. Was very happy to back making my usual Valentines breakfast for the kids this morning

Obviously not the result I wanted however was a great game and a great advertisement for the NFL.

Happy Valentines Day for those that are into it.

‘Home’ for the next few days

Hands up I was delighted with the result as the Eagles are the team I dislike most in the NFL, but I must admit that knowing a couple of Eagles fans I genuinely felt for you losing in the way you did, you could see it coming a mile away and a silly flag on defence handed it to the chiefs. Felt for Hurts, not many QB's run in 3 TD's and end up on the losing side. Thought at HT with Mahomes looking crocked it was going to be your day but man is he good. He's up there with the best of all time IMO.

Still think the NFL is at a crossroads with officiating being the poorest its ever been, its hard to know whats a catch is anymore for example with some seriously awful decisions happening on a regular basis now. Fans are turning away (despite the huge figures & sums of money involved) and I read a few articles recently questioning serious corruption in the pro game so something needs to happen soon.

Enjoy the break btw. Fingers crossed you get reasonable weather too!!

Agree, officiating is ruining the game. They have got themselves in a total mess with the whole what is a catch and what isn’t situation. Also, even for a stop/start game the amount of time taken on reviews is ridiculous.

• Advertisement

Last day of the week for me, woop woop! And the sun is shining & we've our first two crocus flowers (crocuses? croci? I'm not sure on the plural of crocus) - but they weren't there yesterday so lovely surprise to come out to this morning. Lots of things to be cheerful about in the CL household this morning!

Advertisement