Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭antimatterx

We ours up at the start of November, so two months away😉. Which is both exciting and terrifying.

I'm looking forward to the neighbours saying its too early 😅🙃😉

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭BK5

As a fellow Elf I even think that is early 😊, do you know anyone else who puts them up as early as you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Nobody. Now I live at home and it is my mother who does it, but I count that as me 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,516 ✭✭✭✭DvB

One of my sisters friends puts hers up on November 1st every year, even for a Christmas nut like me thats a tad early though. I'd be too used to the sight of it by the time Christmas actually came around.

This year for us will be the last Friday in November, which should be the day of the LLTS. Though with the kids growing out of that particular tradition I wonder how long we'll stick to that?

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

It's September Eve!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

I actually thought the LL Toyshow would be the 1st of December this year but it's the week before, which is a little early - the 24th of November?! I remember in previous years when it go to that point, they'd have it on the 1st/2nd December instead. I usually put up the tree on toyshow day but not sure now....might leave it till the 1st...

That did indeed used to be the case but it seems that they've seemingly settled on the last Friday in November now. If we do put our tree & decorations up that day it'll have been the earliest we'll have ever put them up.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Only ever put the tree up at the end of November twice and that was during the Covid years to "brighten up the place" and both times the wife wanted to take the decorations down early in January because she was tired of them and wanted to give the sitting room a good clean.

So from now on the decorations go up around the first Saturday in December and stay up till Jan 6th.

Look what's at Tesco!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

12 euro?! A rip off! 😂 I'll wait till they go down to 10e.....or they were even 8e one year in Supervalu - it was a great offer and was only for 2 days or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,997 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

They have to be sold at the high price to bring them down on price on "offer"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Nov 17th-Dec 23rd 2023

July took soooooooooo long being over the shops just couldn't wait till September 1st it seems 😄

Afternoon Tea tins are now 800grams.

Chocolate Kinberly tins are 572grams.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I’m stuck with this decision as well. I love the tradition of the LLTS and tree going up so I hope it’s the 1st and not the 24th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭gidget

Had my dog in for his grooming appointment today, was hoping to book his next appointment for December for his Christmas groom. Unfortunately, no luck as they’re completely booked up, so he’s gone on a waiting list in case of cancellations.

Happy September!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

The beginning of the BER's. 😁😁🎄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Happy 1st of September!

Side note: how is it September already?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,898 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

@gidget This happened to us a few years ago so I always make my both September and December appointments in July now, seems a bit mad but it's easier to get a hairdressers appointment than a grooming appointment in December.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭pigtail33

Weather-wise, it feels like we've been in the BER months since July!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Welcome to the beginning of the end.... the BER months!

Such a quick year this year!!

Is this sort of Wintery?

I'd give you that one, the imagery has what looks like snow in the air, so it's a yes from me.

It's generally around this time the Glade candles/air fresheners come into the shops.

My local Tesco was also selling off loads of odds andend clearly making room in the stock room for Christmas stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

BER months???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,997 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

September

October

November

December

All end in ber......there is also the play on brrrr cos they are the cold months leading to Christmas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

Some Paul Costello wreaths added to the Dunnes website

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭tscul32

I bought the kids advent calendars today. Was up north and spotted the bueno one so decided to have one thing sorted. Texted the teens to see if they wanted one and got this reply

>>>

Jesus, bit early isn't it?

but bueno please

>>>

So the I just picked up a few treats for other family members too. The shopping has begun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

Last year I got chocolate Santa's, selection boxes etc early and put them in the attic. My kids are believers so these things need to be hidden. Unfortunately a little mouse decided to visit our attic and munch his way through the Santa's! I have to find a new hiding spot this year.

Well we wait all year for the ber months to get here and the countdown can get serious and Summer decides to show up! 😄

I know! I dropped one of the kids to gymnastics this morning and I'm leaning on the bonnet of the car soaking up the sun. One of the nicest mornings in months, it's like being back in France on holidays 😎

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭tscul32

We just had an "autumn" sized spider in the sitting room. OH managed to flatten it and when he went to get something to clean it up, the dog decided he wanted a snack. Ugh, he better not try to lick me tomorrow 😖🕷

I'm on the whiskey now and still not right from it

• Advertisement

Up at 6 this morning and it twas dark folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

howdy folks!!! currently in spain for my birthday, but i can feel it, christmas is around the corner!!!!!

yep, dark starts have started. I get up at 5.45am and it was pure night, not dusk or a hint of it, felt like the middle of the night it was so dark. Thankfully we still have some brightness in the evenings though, the one part of the build up that I could do without is leaving for work in the dark & it being just as dark leaving the office in the evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Andrew93

Happy Monday all! Big exam for me today and surprise surprise, there isn't a cloud in the sky!

What an absolute beaut of a day yesterday, we had the paddling pools back out for the dogs and the biggest monster of them all the toddler!!

Last time we had them out was June, speaks volume about how bad the summer was, anyway I'll take this warm spell no problem. Got a lovely long walk in after dinner and everything.

• Advertisement

Was over in Marlay park with the team on Saturday afternoon & the heat was incredible. The lads jerseys were stuck to them after the match it was that hot. Thank god I was only coaching & not playing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Gosh I'm just thinking that we didn't have the paddling pool out the whole summer holidays, I feel so sad now 😥

I went to the beach Yesterday.

First time I was there when the water was warm.(ish)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭pigtail33

I just heard an ad on the radio for the Gaiety Panto, I think it's the first time I've heard it this year. Tickets go on sale this Friday.

Went for a swim last night and this morning. Beautiful sunny days and more people at the beach last night than I've seen there since June, most days in July and August that there was only a handful of stalworths on the beach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Looking forward too the 'Ireland Rugby World Cup' DVD out for Christmas 😆

Tbh physical media is dying which in turn means Stocking fillers are made more difficult

Just a friendly reminder!

Happy Birthday @sunbabe08, very best wishes and @Andrew93 , hope the exam went well today.

Spent all day with one of us in the house waiting for an IKEA delivery and it never turned up - so cross now, what a waste of a day 😡. First time ordering from them so I've no idea if this is the norm. The tracking says out for delivery and the chatbot wasn't able to help us so have to wait and make contact with them in the morning.

• Advertisement
Advertisement