Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭tscul32

Still can't get going on Christmas yet. Plumber due any minute to fix the heating, sitting room is currently a laundry room, since we were almost 2 weeks without a washing machine, with the stove on full time to help dry clothes.

Half my house contents are in my parents' and I need to get them out so they can sort their own place. Think I'll take back half and ditch the rest😂. Then can sort our own house and make the new floors look nice.

And maybe then I'll bake a Christmas cake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

First homemade mince pie of the year 🤗

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,518 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Got stuck into the deep clean today in readiness for d-day on Friday. Stuck Christmas FM on my Bluetooth speaker in the background and got us both in great mood. First time I've really felt the Christmas spirit this year.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Put this on door tonight, decorations still in loft but as a recent purchase wife wanted too try it.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Mutleyboo

That's beautiful! Can I ask where you got it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,997 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

That's gorgeous, I can see a trip to the range in my future!

I was the same, we're getting our bathroom done and I was clearing the shoerack out of the way. Half them went in the charity bag as I just can't be dealing with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭BK5

Put this little fella together this evening, can't wait to decorate the house now, a few houses in the area going early this year I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭jellybear

Was at a wedding yesterday and the venue had their Christmas decorations up! It was absolutely beautiful seeing the fairy lights everywhere as we left 😊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭kitten_k

That’s lovely, where did you get it?

Got it in Home Store & More in the Navan branch, it was sold out in the Swords branch where we saw it first, €100.

Did lots of cleaning and clearing out over the weekend to get ready for the decorations. We won't be putting the tree up in time for the toy show but I'll put up our garland & I took out the Christmas crockery this weekend. Need to really attack the kids rooms - also have a toy storage in the kitchen that I need to clear out & move so that we can put the kitchen tree up.

We've started watching a Christmas film every weekend now. Last weekend, we watched The Princess Switch and this weekend, The Santa Clause. Was a bit nervous at the start of that one because I'd forgotten how adamant the grown ups were about there being no Santa...thankfully, it seemed to wash over the kids because obviously Scott Calvin is Santa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,324 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Omg he's gorgeous! I'm so behind this year, I really shouldn't come into this thread looking at all the decorations going up cos I've made the decision that I'm not putting ours up until the 1st! I want that snowman now!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Loving seeing all the Christmas chat, everyones photos posted on here are fabulous

My neighbours decorations went up yesterday it really cheered me up

Going to continue with the cleaning and decluttering this week the tree will go up Saturday at the latest

Deliveries coming thick and fast here, I am ticking everything off my list. I need to make a decision on a new Christmas jumper 😀 One is on the way but I have my eye on another, I haven’t bought one for a couple of years. I need to check my Christmas card supply I want to post to Algarve Portugal and New York this week (I’ve done so the last couple of years and they arrive quite late for some reason)

We stumbled across 1 of the Grinch movies on Netflix at the weekend I quite enjoyed it,

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Andrew93

Haha was just reading that laughing to myself. If only they came into this section.

He's going to go outside the front door so hopefully he stands up to a bit of wind and rain. I said to the wife that I'll have to tie him down as he is quite light. It is nice though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,935 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The states have a odd enough relationship with Christmas

Basically Christmas Eve and Day (sporting events, entertainment venues open) and that's that. Thanksgiving is Stephens Day on steroids

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

"It's not even Thanksgiving yet"... em, what country are we in again?! 🙄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭Jude13

Its a certain breed alright, yank wanabes. I have one in my family, one of my best friends. Huge NFL fan, which I also like but he goes over board using words like 'soda' and talking about the American rights etc. Anywho bah humbug to that post. Just celebrate both!

Is anyone else afraid to post a pic of you tree and decs on the forum for fear of the mess? I have tow kids and big dog, the place is always upside down.

Embrace the mess when they are young because we have two adult kids and a small dog so the place is tidy all the time. We'd love a couple of grandkids at this stage to make a mess and having little ones at Christmas really is magical.

We live in a permanent state of mess, its just the depth that varies.

Likewise! We have a cleaner who comes every two weeks so I get roughly two hours of the house looking lovely & then everyone comes home & disaster is reinstated. Houses were made to be lived in - embrace the chaos is my motto!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

A nice little tradition we started in our house with the smallies being confused/unsure over what thanksgiving is all about (they were almost having anxiety over it hearing some talk on it on the American kids youtuber stations?) and it’s relation to Christmas - I’d recommend -

So what we do is we watch a cartoon explaining thanksgiving (streamed from YouTube) then we have a little chat about what WE are thankful for in our own lives.

It always has a few “ah here you’re crying I’m not crying” moments !!

Then a short prayerful time of reflection for all of us, my other half lights a few candles then we talk about Advent and what it means for us over the coming weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

ALOT to still do this week for me in prep of Friday, the added dilemma this year is we need to move the little guy's toys out of the way of the tree, some will have to reallocate upstairs while the decorations are up, picking which ones which won't trigger a toddler meltdown is key now haha

A swirling vortex of entropy is my house.

I'm the only one in my family to go to college, buy my house and car on my own. However, my mother is so ashamed of me over the untidyness of my house*. A disgrace to my gender!!!

Then she wonders why she doesn't get regular invites.

*It's clutter not dirt, the house wouldn't be dirty.

We have everything more or less ready (other then relocating some clutter that has re-filled areas we cleared over the weekend)

Will get the decorations out of the Attic store Thursday night in prep for full assault on Friday after the kids go to school. Have the day booked off work so looking forward to it now. Unlikely we'll get everything done on the day so will leave the external bits until Saturday afternoon after we get back from our last Hurling match of the year.

Do it when he is in bed...he'll never notice what is missing. I've thrown out bags of stuff here & no one has ever missed them.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

• Advertisement

Did a deep clean of the living room yesterday but by 5 pm it was like a bomb hit it after my little one got going having all her toys out, need to grab a black sack when she’s not looking and make a trip to the charity shop

Decorated gingerbread men at toddler group this morning very festive, Christmas festivities coming in thick and fast I can’t wait to see her little imagination capture it all

Ive a date with the freezer this afternoon it shouldn’t be that bad I did it recently but a quick tidy to see what I have and make room

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭pigtail33

I badly need to tackle my freezer too. The top drawer will barely close there is so much frost. I'll have to schedule a date with it soon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,854 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Even less now!

Cannot believe how many trees and lights are up already. Great to see it coming home from work tonight!

how I feel these days.

Bloody sick of hearing the words 'black friday' 😆

Up in Dublin tomorrow to see Queens Of The Stone age in the 3Arena, ending a great year of gigs. 2024 looking sharp in that regard too

The Jameson tour should be good craic. Always weary about drinking Whiskey but sure one won't hurt (enter a Henry Sellers type state)

100% legit. No such thing as a slow stress free week.

Dropped stuff off at a charity shop here last week and they had a sign up saying they are not taking any toys at the moment, they must have had a lot of people doing a clear out in the last month. 😄

Have next Friday (the 1st of Dec) booked off work to get the tree and decorations done so can't wait for that, nice little long weekend at the end of the year.

Totally agree with what was said above, no such thing as a quiet week.

On a more positive note, it's Wednesday and the Tree is going up Friday, ChristmasFM will be back on the airwaves by Monday, all is good in the world.

I like it!!! I might have to screenshot and use it as my mantra to get me through the next few days 😄

I agree I am sick of listening about Black Friday don’t get me wrong I love a bargain but it’s been rammed down our necks I find it’s very overwhelming, I hate to think of vulnerable people been drawn in and putting pressure on themselves

Just browsing the SuperValu catalog it’s the weekly one not Christmas but there is an Oxford Lunch cake in it always reminds me of my grandad and his sister I don’t think I have actually ever tasted it tough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Andrew93

Not a fan of this spectacle Black Friday has become over the last number of years. Everywhere ramps up the prices of things going on sale in the months leading up to November, so it seems like your getting this great 30-50% deal, when in reality its more like 5-10% off.

Amazon are certainly one of the biggest culprits for it. Sorry rant over.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Plus, it seems to have turned into Black Friday month at this stage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I hate it. Just make it a day and let people actually enjoy it.

We will only be over Black Friday then it be Cyber Monday, I have heard Cyber week too at some stage….

So who will be rocking Christmas pjs on Friday for the toy show ? I certainly will be! Little one too but obviously she will be asleep for it. As Friday is toy show day I have Christmas bottoms and top for my little one to wear to toddler group

I am making progress with the house work in preparation for the tree but I really just want the decorations up now, it can be overwhelming trying to get everything just so for Christmas…

On the occasion that some of my battery lights for garlands etc have given up the ghost come Saturday where is best for battery lights Dunnes or Homestore and more ? (Thanks in advance)

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭ClaudeVercetti

Having Black Friday deals all week the week before payday has been a real test of willpower personally!

Bought the tree today (first year in this place) as I've to go up to Dublin for the weekend. I won't be able to put it up on Friday, so I'm very tempted to have it up and ready tomorrow instead....

Jameson tour was great and this epic tree one of the highlights

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭polydactyl

This years village is up! The pic doesn’t show it obv but the train running around and the tram back and forth is our favourite tradition

That's brilliant,looks great.

Does your village have its own castle? I need to start collecting one. I love the idea of them.

• Advertisement

Advertisement