Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Andrew93

Second dose for both of us. We first got it early 2021 but you wouldn't have known, not a symptom between the 3 of us. Our little one even tested positive and she was only maybe 12 weeks old.

This time around is not fun. Really doing a number on me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Good Morning!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Another dark, gloomy day here. Met my friend yesterday for our Christmas cuppa which was lovely. Have Afternoon Tea tomorrow with my folks so looking forward to that.

I had to go up to the Big Schmoke on Wednesday with my youngest for a hospital appointment but as I was sitting in the traffic in Drumcondra, I saw a man cycling down the road with his bike all decked out for Christmas - tinsel on his mud guards, Santa handlebar covers & he was wearing a Christmas jumper too. Couldn't get a pic as I was driving but I did wonder if it was someone on here 😅 Made me smile anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I'm a sucker for all these medieval festive type stuff (except Kilkenny Yulefest that can stick it 😆)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

For any mince pie fans, there is a discussion of the best mince pies happening over in the Food forum at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

I was paying my parking at the machine in a car park stupid machine wouldn't take my card payment I had no cash, women came up and said don't think that's working for cards then she said how much is it?, I said €1.50 she then leaned across me put € 1.50 in the machine and said Happy Christmas, how nice was that ,she wasn't even in queue waiting to pay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,997 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

So elves, woodies outdoor ornament lights....do they reduce any further from 50%??.....most of their "house" decorations are 70% off now, and rather slim pickings.

I have my eye on the doe and fawn rattan light, currently 110 at 50% off.....I could and couldn't justify the price.....thought I'd ask here first .....I'd be in the ultimate horrors if I got it and it reduced in 2 days time.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭BK5

In work again this morning and will be in next Saturday as well, so busy in the run up. Would love to be able to just turn on the tree lights and have a long slow relaxing breakfast but at the moment it's not to be. Can't wait for the 22nd so I can take a breath ha ha.

Bringing two of my nephews to my companies kids/family Christmas event tomorrow so looking forward to that.

I do apologise. Weird situation tough I feel if I stop something bad will happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Thursday we had a Christmas ball I was dying yesterday it’s always great fun doing it but not worth it the next day

I brought home paper hats and they were a big hit with my little one she had me going around yesterday with the paper crown on my head 😂 I know she is going to love the idea of Christmas crackers

Glad to be fresh this morning it’s a windy one hopefully get out for some fresh air at Farmleigh Christmas markets, Santa tomorrow

I’ll have to check out the thread on mincepie I still have to purchase some I am the only one that eats them

I hope you are feeling better soon @Andrew93 my mam is in hospital with it at the moment she has underlying lung issues it’s her first time with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,898 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

If you stop then Santa will fall down and break both legs so you better keep it up 😂.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Took a half day yesterday and went into town, had a bite to eat and then met a gang from work for pints. Went to the Gingerman but it was bedlam so we went to Doheny and Nesbitts where we even got a table to gather around. Was home by 11 so fresh as a daisy today 😎

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,516 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Have our GAA team medal presentation and Christmas party today at 2pm, 2 sets of medals to be presented [both runners up ones unfortunately) but nice to make a party of it for the lads after a long tough year.

Will be cracking open a guinness or 2 later to relax!

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Weather sounds wild out there we have lit the fire already not sure if we will get out to Farmleigh market I see Dublin Castle Christmas at the castle has delayed opening today more update at 2 pm

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Ah I’d only miss it if you stopped posting it.

Mad weather out there today. So windy. Definitely cosy night in tonight

Urgh! Working right up to the day is tough. Hope the party is fun though

Post edited by Heroditas on

The Grinch on rte1 now!

• Advertisement

So much better than the Jim Carrie version. We all love it. 😍

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

That's a classic song and criminally underplayed.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Got out today to the Botanic Gardens Christmas market, lovely sunny day, almost got home before the weather turned nasty! They had a carol concert too which was nice and festive. 😊 Got some homemade preserves, a couple of ornaments and mistletoe fresh off the garden's trees. Had a nice long soak in the bath this evening and now I'm toying with the idea of ordering a pizza later. 🍕

We had a great day at Santa, there were some tears but that’s to be expected, it was a great atmosphere for families, the food was beautiful Turkey and ham I went for of course, I had to settle for chocolate brownie and ice cream for dessert no festive desserts on the menu

I was making dinner tonight and I noticed two ingredients had an expiry date of 19th December and 20th December and I couldn’t help thinking Jesus that’s some expiry date almost 3 weeks away. And then the realisation hit.

I am not ready for this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭tscul32

Finally got the tree up this evening. Beginning to feel festive now😁😁🎄🎄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭antimatterx

We'll, you're in no better plane to get you ready

Morning Elves! Starting to feel a bit panicked myself now. We are still not finished the kids bits and pieces which is exceptionally late for us. There have been years where I've been done & dusted in September! Went to do some shopping yesterday & bought nothing for anyone else but managed to buy two dresses for myself :P Going to try get some things done this week!

We went to see the Muppet's Christmas Carol in the cinema yesterday - it was class.

RTE Christmas Guide 2023

Must take a stroll today to see if I can pick this up. Assume its available?

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Lovely bright morning out there

We had a great day at Santa in the golf club yesterday our little one happily talking about it this morning, the entertainer was brilliant all involved did a great job, fair play giving up all their time this was our 2nd year. why is it when you go out for the day the house is still bedlam the next day 😀 I’ve spent the past hour tidying

I need to get my Christmas cards wrote this evening feel abit panicky I haven’t posted my Europe cards yet,

@CheerLouth thank you, you are making me feel better I thought it was just me 🤦‍♀️ since I have started my Christmas shopping a couple of things have came home for me 🤣

• Advertisement

In previous years I find it might take until Tuesday until it's in all shops but that is down the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭A cup of te

@tscul32 Went to the Belfast Christmas Market on Saturday. It was the biggest and most varied market I've seen on this island and more European style food at it so i would say it is worth going to. The one negative was Saturday was lashing rain and windy and after a few minutes of walking around even with waterproof coats on we were sapping wet and cold! When I got on the train later I realised the wet had come through my coat even! I'll be lucky if I don't get sick now! Ended up going to George's Market then which is always nice and it's indoors! In there I bought a little model red double decker bus with Coca Cola and Santa on it for my nephew. I haven't seen anything like it here and I know he'll love it! I also bought Fifteens from a bakery within that market. I'd always wanted to try them and was not disappointed. After the excitement of Waterford and Belfast, I'm now looking forward to enjoying the run up to Christmas in the locality!

Still no decorations up but I swear next year I will finally have my own house and I will have them up. I dragged all my decorations back into the office and put them up there instead! It's getting old not having my own place at this age...I know there's plenty of us in this country.

I managed to get through on the Cadbury's Secret Santa last week for the first time ever and have sent a bar to my nephew. Can't wait to see how excited he is getting something in the post. Such a lovely idea from Cadburys!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Lads, Christmas has really crept up on me this year. I have very little purchased in the way of gifts and we only put up the tree and a few decorations last night. I have no cards written or sent, have missed the overseas deadline of 6th December for Australia and Canada, USA deadline is today I don't think I'll make that either (nothing written). The only saving graces are that I am finishing up on 15th this Friday so plenty of shopping time, I get paid on Friday too and my shopping list is not too huge. Help.

The early pay day is great in December (I get it on the 20th), but it really hurts in January.

We get paid in the middle of the month every month, it's a bit of a pain tbh with most bills coming out at the end/start of the month. This is my first Christmas getting paid this way, my last pay day was 15th November and then we needed a new washing machine unexpectedly so Christmas shopping on hold. OH gets paid once a fortnight which I also find tricky to work witt, lol. The one upside to my mid-month payday = next payday is 15th January! Hopefully this means Jan won't be too bleak 🤣

I get paid on the 15th as well, defo helps come January!

I needed a new boiler this year, plus a new water cylinder and shower, so said I wouldn't be going too mad this Christmas! (just moderately mad) 😂

I've tried to go for more practical presents, rather than ending up splashing the cash on things people don't need or want!

I'm not sure when my December pay day is, I think maybe the 18th, so it does feel like a loooong gap before I'm paid again. 🫣

Beautiful sunny day out there, a far cry from the last two days. Sorry to hear what happened with Leitrim, nothing to do with the tornado just in general... leitrim 🤢 🤣😜

Similar.

Huge outgoings for us this year so we tried (& failed) to reduce our spend this Christmas.

We get paid the last Wednesday of every month, but will get paid early this month on Wednesday 20th, next payday is then the very last day of Jan, 31st... so a full 6 weeks between paydays. Can see January being a quiet month indeed!

The stress got to me so I went out at lunchtime & got the last bit of the kids lists. Got into Sports Direct too and picked up a pair of runners for Mr. CL. Have one last little thing to get him and he's sorted. Getting vouchers for my folks & my sister so they'll be sorted by the end of the week hopefully. Feeling a bit more like I can see the wood for the trees.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the update, sounds good. We go every year but since covid it hasn't been as good/big. I'd seen a map for this year's and it looked more varied so it looks like it should be a good one. I don't even really shop at it but we soak up the atmosphere and get dinner there. Breakfast on Sunday morning will be at the George's Market.

I actually looked for this in Dunnes yesterday, thought I was late to the party and had none left.... obviously not 😊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Ye olde fortnightly salaries deal with the Christmas timings perfectly. Very Very rare now, but I have one

I still remember moving to a monthly salary from weekly pay- it was some job getting used to it!

Art of the Christmas Tree... didn't know what was the best thread for this tbh.

When I was in my youth I worked with my dad and he paid he daily. Getting paid monthly was a huge adjustment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Still the old way for me weekly thank god, we even close for lunch how old fashion is that.

I was always paid monthly, then went back to work after being home with kids for a few years, and into a weekly paid (part time, low paid) job. I didn't know what to do with all those paychecks, there were so many of them 🤣🤣. In a two week pay cycle now (teaching) but being so unused to a steady income, albeit part time, I don't even realise when it's pay day - I've been a kept woman for years so my income is kept for family treats.... and the orthodontist 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,898 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

• Advertisement

If you've reached the point when you're not counting down the days to payday then you've hit the big time baby!!

With you on the orthodontist bills though.... dems a doozy!

Advertisement