Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Ugh I am not looking forward to the orthodontist bills. Our eldest is only 8 but has a severe overbite. We've already had an assessment with an orthodontist...the full works is coming for her in a few years!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭tscul32

It's just a case of we had so many years without me earning and surviving on one salary that we decided to see if we could just ignore my pay and keep it for specific things. It's also being saved to cover my 2yr masters next year.

2 kids with the orthodontist here, although one just finished and delighted to be brace free. I told him a few years ago that he'd be done by the time he was 16 and he got them off the day before his birthday 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,516 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Thats a very clever thing to do with saving one full salary, I'm sure it takes willpower at times but fair play.

Orthodontist fees are extortionate, we just have my son with braces, he has about a year left with them and a bill of just over 2k outstanding... thankfully my daughters teeth and bite are fine so we just had the one to fork out for. Must be great for your son to get his removed, now he just has to look after them!!

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

We paid 4k for the first one. Have only paid 1k so far for the second one so I suspect I'll be getting another large bill soon. With the older one, I looked over at him in the cot in the hospital and told OH that we'd better start saving cos he had my sister's mouth 🤣🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Look away @Loughc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Andrew93

Jesus these hours are FLYING down. Feel like I've been robbed of the last 6 days due to covid..

The hourly countdown is freaking me out way more than the days or weeks ones.

So much to get done before we break up from work.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

My Christmas cake was finally baked today, only 2 months late! This evening I'll mix up cookie doughs and pastryand get it all into the freezer to save time next week. Last kids activity tomorrow night and then free evenings (apart from Christmas parties 🎉🎉) until January.

Hope you're feeling better @Andrew93 and your mam too @SarahLil

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Same! The hourly countdown is so scary!

I still like it tho!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,898 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

It's good to do one thing that scares you each day 😂😂.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭Jude13

We have our eldest at the orthodontist, we all choose the wrong profession.

Trying to wind down to Christmas now, had flu the last few days. No headache just sweating and vom.

I have to be on call two weeks over Christmas for work trip abroad which, its not the trip that annoys me most its that I will have to be checking emails and messages each day to see if its happening. I find it very hard to switch off after checking work.

We have inlaws arriving, Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday, then we are a very very full house.

Hear you on the switching off. I do so many hours now that when I'm not working I feel like I should be & if I find myself with little urgent to do at home end up logging on & doing small bits....really a habit I need to break, hopefully the Christmas break will sort that!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Me too I like it’s definitely scary, I have to take a few deep breaths afterwards

Morning everyone lovely blue skies out there chilly too much prefer this to rain

We had a Christmas party yesterday at toddler group it was a nice day we did a trip to the farm afterwards to get some fresh air, we’ve another book group tomorrow then another Christmas party Friday for it all finishing up till mid January

I think I need to write a list of what’s left to do in the house, gifts left to buy, I have a list of what’s left to do in my mams (she’s slowly improving hopefully it continues that way she’s still in hospital) thanks everyone on here xx please god she’s home for Christmas and all us elves have a happy healthy Christmas it’s all that matters

Awful doses going my mother in law doesn’t do well with vaccines and she’s in bed a week now after having one

Otherhalf away with work, he has Christmas drinks with work Friday, give you all a laugh OH asked today December 13th any hints for a Christmas gift for me.. I’m sure I dropped a few hints awhile back but now I can’t remember anything I might like.

ill have to pick up the rte guide anyone got it yet is it any good ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

My wife keeps asking me what do I want for Christmas I say anything because I don't really want anything, every year she saids to me " your such a pain in the asre to buy for" , and she's right .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,549 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

You missed a trick...

a prompt response of 'All i Want for Christmas, is you!!!' would have got you in the good (ish) books! 😉

Got out for some fresh air rambled to Aldi on the way back they have the RTE Guide in stock, picked that up they seem to have a few bits in stock I’ve struggled to pick up elsewhere like Chocolate Revels love them got them for OH stocking, terrys chocolate orange was only €1.50 also got cute Christmassy Disney princess wrapping paper 8m €1.19 I think that was a mistake also I don’t eat prawns myself but grabbed Coleman’s seafood sauce I haven’t seen that in Dunnes, I’ve already opened a packet of their crackers for cheese so got another pack for when we are having picky bits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

5 days of work left before Christmas. I'm off work next Tues and then finishing up on Thurs. We usually do a work lunch on the day we finish up so I can write off that afternoon! Sorting through 1. what has to be done before the break, 2. what I'd like to have cleared off before the break and 3. what I can't be ar$ed doing and can wait til January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭kitten_k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

First posted card received today, had a letterbox delivery from my brother who won't pay for stamps (but will pay for petrol) already though. Means I need to hurry up and get mine posted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭BK5

We were given a Christmas dinner in the work canteen today and my dept head is bringing a gang of us to a good local restaurant for food a few pints tomorrow evening so the season is starting to kick in alright.

Can't go too mad as still have to get up on Friday morning.

Best pints of the year, Christmas pints.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Looking forward to getting out for a few pints, don't see it happening before Christmas at this stage though. Will be out with work the day we finish up but can't really let my guard down there so will probably be St Stephens day before I can really sit back & relax with a nice pint of creamy stout!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Just got asked by my boss can I work my day off this week and also could you cut your Christmas holidays short and come back early, I said yes to working my day off but politely said cant come back early after Christmas but in my mind I was thinking " is this man insane!".

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Andrew93

Sorry if this is the wrong place, but I have 4 tickets to the wildlights in Dublin zoo this Sunday at 5pm if anyone is interested. Just looking to get a small fee back for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭jellybear

Just got this in a couple of whatsapp groups...

Bit of a love hate relationship with the 'Christmas pints'. love them along with the decorations/festive tunes but one negative is the 'once a year drinkers' who think there owed something and can't handle it. Cost is also up from previous years. Thinking back to 2020/2021 it really was pathetic the way the pubs worked. 'Don't get off your seat, 'eat this €9 meal or else', 'can't be having that etc.

Watched the Wham documentary on Netflix, didn't realise they only around for 4 years with both of them finishing the band at only 23/24

Slight panic setting in, Mam still in hospital conscious Christmas Day is a week Monday, I’ve no brothers or sisters hopefully good news soon lift the spirits, in-laws not feeling the best either

In other news delegated a few jobs to the OH, got the stamps for the cards get them wrote tonight, post in the morning,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Ye might murder me

Sorry to hear about your mother, hopefully all will be good very soon. My grandad not doing good. Still fighting away after very bad news this time last year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,898 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Keeping my fingers crossed or you @SarahLil, hopefully she will be home soon.

• Advertisement

It shocks us into action 😂 I’ve been having a wobble so put more lights up on the kitchen garland and Christmas fm to lift the spirits

thank you all x @PTH2009 & @Cork Lass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

As said before Waterford is really something else at Christmas..delighted to see this award. 2024 is going to be absolutely amazing.

https://www.thesun.ie/travel/11857670/irish-christmas-market-festival-best-europe-waterford/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭pigtail33

I'm really starting feel the panic now, I've never been this unprepared. I ended up in hospital for a few days at the start of the month with extremely low iron levels so I've been playing catch-up since I got home. Did a blitz of online shopping on Monday and I think I have most of my presents sorted. I was supposed to be working right up to Friday, but I've taken a few extra days off so hopefully Monday will be my last day of work and I'll get to take a deep breath.

I had to cancel all my Christmas nights out, so I'm not feeling very festive at all, feels like I'm back in 2020...

Sorry to hear your Mam is still in hospital @SarahLil Hopefully she's home in time to get settled back home before Christmas.

The hourly countdown is truly terrifying. I could do with that number of days left!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Yes @pigtail33 250 days to go sounds better to me. Still so much to do!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Am I bit weird for getting a little twinge of sadness when all my presents are bought. It's like the first big thing that's done and dusted. Don't get me wrong, tomorrow I won't care but when it's done in that moment I feel a little down.

• Advertisement

I just want work to finish at this stage... 6am starts and finishing anything from 7 to 10pm is draining me big time... barely have time to sit back an appreciate the most wonderful time of the year.

Will you get earlier finishes Christmas week? That’s tough going mind yourself

I hate saying the Covid word but things seem to be have gone back hectic/demanding like before Covid ? I also see day to day the little random kindness has disappeared day to day if you know what I mean

regarding the pints industry my cousin runs a pub in Tipperary he’s been jam packed since mid November with Christmas bookings he’s never seen anything like it he said and he worked in Stephen’s Green area for years

I think this is the first year the Christmas build up in terms of work parties etc is back since covid, my wife for example has her first work party tonight since 2019 & a few friends have been in a similar situation, so yes it does appear we are now back to our pre covid 'ways'

In terms of my works hours, I decide what hours I work to be fair so its my own fault, but since our buy out earlier in the year I've discovered a whole new list of things to be done on top of the day to day project work. I had a feel for it previously, but this is a whole new level of stress & pressure.

I think that's why i'll always prefer the Christmas holiday break to my summer one, at least everyone in our industry is off for the same time I am so theres nothing developing whilst I'm away. Anywya, last work Friday of the year today!! Just 3 days of work left once I leave the office later today!

Last official day in the office. I will have to do some work in the mornings next week. I woke up with full blown flu now!

Christmas shoes on Christmas fm first time I’ve heard it this season

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭BK5

Hope it doesn't knock you for six too much, best wishes. 🤞

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

I hear you @DvB - my work is also so busy, I really feel that I haven't been able to enjoy the build up at all. I'm literally thinking about it morning, noon & night - which is very annoying. I've to work this weekend for a project Go-Live, I won't finish now until next Friday. The company gives us a holiday day for Christmas which should be next Friday so in an ideal world, I'd be finishing on Wednesday, but if I can finish before lunch on Friday, I'll be doing well.

@SarahLil, I really hope that your Mam will be back on her feet soon. I hope you are doing ok - it must be hard with no one else to take some of the weight x

Nothing worse, look after yourself & try not to get too run down, if its full on Flu it'll be bed & little else for a couple of days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,558 ✭✭✭Heroditas

My wife is also knocked out with an awful dose at the moment. She can barely get off the couch and missed her Christmas party today as a result.

I had mine yesterday. Turkey and ham in the staff canteen and then we had the end of year Town Hall followed by drinks in the canteen from 5 onwards. I left at 11.15 and it was still going strong. Sweet mother of Jesus I'm in bit today 🫣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Mines tonight. Starts very late so going for dinner beforehand - we've been told the food is "better than normal platters" but I'd like to get some carbs in first!

Have another non work thing to do tomorrow so would like to stay in some condition for that...

• Advertisement
Advertisement