Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,529 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Had to check there, I see the b/h Monday is 3 weeks from yesterday… that has come up fast!!

Our holiday starts on the first week in June (which is early for us) and at this rate i'll be packing for it in no time at all!!

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭Jude13

We a few days like home here in the UAE, lashing, mops in hand and no AC or electricity upstairs. Would have been a perfect evening for a Christmas movie.

In westport today, lashing rain and pretty cold too. Rain started at Longford and got heavier further west.

Hard to belive it's nearly May.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭pigtail33

And where is the spell of good weather we were promised for this week? Cold, cloudy and wet again today.

I really feel for the farmers, as annoying as the wet weather is for us, it has a much bigger impact on their livelihood if they can't get their crops planted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Was just thinking the same thing. I was so hopefully getting my clothes out on the line this morning - they are still out there, only sapping now :(

Yes, feel for the farmers, even trying to get animals out of the sheds; the fields are too sodden for them

I even checked the weather forecast earlier in the week and picked today to do my washing (yes, I am sad and need to get out more!!!). I had them on the line before 9, expecting the sun to come out, but had to run out an hour later to bring them in.

Sunny here now on my way back from westport. Stopped for a coffee and it's lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭BK5

My Dad always said the further west you go from Dublin the wetter it gets and he's bloody right.

Work with a few people from Donegal and they'd tell you that the weather here in the East of Ireland is nothing 😄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭tscul32

Weather was lovely in North Dublin today, perfect for the littlest elf's confirmation. Can't believe we're almost done with primary school 😳

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,883 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Just a friendly reminder.

• Advertisement

I won't be counting that one down anyway 🤣

Dry but cloudy day here today. Trying to decide if we should go ahead with a bouncy castle over the weekend for the smallest birthday. Forecast is giving it to be dry - just not sure if it really will be…

I bit the bullet. Mother in Law is getting the Child of Prague outta the attic lol! And have issued invitations with "wear wet gear".

If the weather in Louth is as nice as North County Dublin today, the Child Of Prague did its job! Enjoy the day and happy birthday to the little Elf!

Hope you have a lovely day and a very Happy Birthday to your little one.

Finally a day for hurling!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Nice and sunny today hope it stays that way.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Woohoo! 😁

• Advertisement

Just checking in because it has been very quiet on here over the weekend, lovely weather and I hope everyone had a great time because of it. Badly needed and hopefully we get a few months of good weather now.

Was feeling a bit low yesterday, Mam passed away 3 weeks now and I think it's starting to sink in. Met up with a few of my wife's family today for dinner and then I went to the local GAA club for a few pints to watch what sports were on and got talking to a few people, had a bit of craic and it's helped a good bit.

Got talking to one guy, who I've never met before and he told me him and his wife have never had kids and they have started the process of fostering, things like this does your heart good to know that there is still people out there willing to try and make a better life for others.

So glad I popped into the club now and met this guy and talked to a few others, life is for living.

Happy Christmas everyone! 🎄🤣

Perfectly normal to have days where you'll feel low, glad you managed to get out & lift the spirits though, fair play for that.

Had a hectic weekend ourselves, because we have back matches to play we had 2 matches over the weekend, hurling saturday & football yesterday, both away too at 3pm throw ins so the day was taken up really. Had a pile of housework to get through as well so other than a couple of guinness nitro surge cans on Saturday night it was all go. Still, not long til the b/h weekend now where we can hopefully have some time to relax.

What a weekend! The sun was well and truly welcome! It just puts you in a good mood! Busy weekend with sports on Saturday & trying to tidy up the patio area for a birthday party yesterday. Took advantage of the sun to get a couple of coats of varnish on the patio table & chairs & the garden bench. Delighted with them now.

A fab day yesterday celebrating our smallests birthday. First time ever that we've had a bouncy castle and no rain! It was super! Can't believe that she is 4 already! Also can't believe that this time 4 years ago, it was the height of Lockdown 1 - the stress of hospital visits on my own, the dread of possibly bringing home covid, no one being able to see our new baby. Gah, it was horrible, glad to be on the other side of it now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I just booked an area in a pub for my work summer drinks. Has me thinking about Christmas dates now. We usually do a Thursday evening but how Christmas falls the 5th and the 12th are the only real viable options. I'll probably get that sorted in August.

I was talking to a contractor in work yesterday and we were talking about working at height and get on roofs etc. One of us mentioned about decorating the outside of the house at Christmas and what it entails if you are keen to put up a good bit of stuff.

He then told me he takes about 2 weeks off work in the run up to Christmas and he goes around hanging the lights up on the outside of peoples houses as they don't have ladders or don't like climbing up them. He gets bookings for about a 100 houses and charges €60 a house.

I told him if he ever needs an Elf helper then give me a shout :)

Does he come back & take them down too? 🤣 Or is that another €60!? 😮

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭Jude13

Spotted Rudolph nose on car on the school run today. Thankfully the wee one didnt notice or spotify would have been to Christmas songs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,898 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

He does come back and take them down, can't remember if it's an all in one package fee 😄

To be fair he uses one of those booms that extend from the back of a van so he's doing the work as safely as can be expected. He goes the whole hog with lights on the outside of his own place as well.

The weather yesterday and today is making me think that Christmas is a lot closer than it really is!

There's Times you'd think we were the other side of summer, not just coming in to it.

Post edited by DvB on

• Advertisement

I read yesterday that we might get a touch of frost overnight, maybe we are going to skip Summer this year!?!

I bet Freshpopcorn is somehow behind this skipping summer idea.

I was talking to a fella in work yesterday and he reminded me of a few years ago there was a hard enough frost a few nights in early May and he didn't get one apple off the trees he has in his back garden that year.

I remember snow in May one year, definitely remember frost too. So not totally unprecedented.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Don't know what weather forecast I seen but wasn't expecting this thought I would be cutting the grass today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,898 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

There was quite a bit of frost on my windscreen this morning at about 7.00 and it was bloody cold where the sun wasn’t shining.

I was painting the back garden fence and walls today and got feckin (slightly) sunburned! I'm one of those people who wears factor 50 in January, so I'm annoyed at myself for being caught off guard. 😬

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,979 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Happy Christmas for 2024 everyone! 😁🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄

Happy Sunday everyone, hope you all have a great day. Bank Holiday next weekend! 😊

We had my Mother's months mass yesterday evening and then met up with a good few of the family for a drink after, really nice to catch up and have a chat.

Mrs BK5 and myself are heading off to Spain this evening for 5 days and we are going to do nothing but walk about, eat, a few drinks and relax. Can't bloody wait 😄

I got a bit of a red face at our hurling game yesterday myself. Normally am good with suncream (even had some in the bag) but it didn't feel that warm with the wind.

• Advertisement

Enjoy.

Doubt you'll miss much here, definitely into the quiet season now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Genuinely got the Christmas feels yesterday morning. I was cooking in the kitchen and all of a sudden it was so dark and it was that misty sort of rain. I was thinking to myself this feels like an early morning in December and all I'm missing is the tree! Was a nice feeling but odd!

Another rainy day 😔 But yesterday was glorious & I got in the sea for my first swim of the year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Nothing surprises me now

I still keep an eye out for Christmas items on sale. Saw these this morning!😊

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 25,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

the Snow king himself graces us all with his presence.

And the way the weather is I wouldn’t be surprised if we got some!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 25,007 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Hey all!!

Got back late last Friday from a week away in center parcs. Highly recommend for the little ones!! Our little boy had a ball and the baby was just happy in general haha.

We even got sunshine and all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,883 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I bought a Winter coat Today after years of searching I eventually settled on one. One which I've seen many times before.

It's the last day of April. First third of the Year down.

Hard to believe we enter the traditional summer months tomorrow as weather is that bad. Dropped the kids to school earlier & it was damp & cold with a miserable grey sky… roll on June & our holidays to hopefully sunnier climes!!

Was just thinking the same earlier - May Day tomorrow & ours were gone in in their winter coats still. Eldest has Gaelic training after school & is not happy that they won't be let up the field because it's too mucky still.

• Advertisement

I toyed with grabbing the winter jacket going to work this morning it was so cold and miserable out.

Advertisement