Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

1338339340341342344»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Dunnes and Carraig Donn have some lovely (dare I say it) Halloween bits. 🎃

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭BK5

Have waited a few weeks to post this. For some reason I checked in on post no.1 on this thread and it was started on the 21st of September in 2020 so our thread is 4 years old today!

As far as I can remember @DvB was the one who named this thread "It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas" in honour of the song and back then you had to start a new thread on Boards when it reached 10,000 posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Christmas Magazine and some gift sets! Posted food in the food thread.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

it was only yesterday thread was a baby and now they’ll be starting school soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,516 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Saw these in dunnes yesterday.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Came on to recommend this. Listening to it the last while this morning while doing bits around the house (wife is away in her mother's with the little elf). It's not full on and it's really nice and relaxing.

I was in work Today and there was a Cherry Picker around the street put up cables for the Christmas lights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

My wife just came home from Aldi with a box of mince pies, Lovely!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

We got the Smyth's catalogue on Saturday. In the car yesterday & the youngest was surveying what she might ask Santy for…10 minutes later, I heard "Mammy, my tummy is sore", followed by a projectile vomit 🙈 Had to pull in on the side of a country road, strip her off, try to clean off the car seat etc. First time any of them have ever been sick in the car & man, she made it count 🤪

Henceforth, the Smyth's catalogue is banned from the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,997 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Hope she's okay, was it the reading and the movement of the car that set her off?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

These days it may have been the prices in the catalogue that set her off 😂😂

Post edited by Loughc on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭tscul32

Aldi full of Christmas treats now. It'll be here before we know it.

I'm up to my eyes at the moment between work, home and college, and my dad's recent cancer diagnosis. I thought I was back in school about 3 weeks and just realised it's been almost 5 weeks😱

I'm looking forward to it though, warm cosy stove, cold outside and lovely colourful lights😁

Definitely, they are all normally very good in the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭buzzerxx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Is that paper bag of Christmas magazines thats for sale everywhere any good? I'm mostly bought already for gifts so don't need gift ideas, but anything else in it?

I'd definitely say reading in the car was the beginning of the end!

At least they are normally okay. I vomited on almost every car journey for my entire childhood. I'd always have to have a sick bag with me. Even now I can't travel in a car for over 20 mins without feeling nauseous. Absolutely fine on planes/trains/buses/boats though. 😬

• Advertisement

Yeah, reading in a car doesn't work for me either, fine on any other mode of transport, but in a car… 🤮

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

When we were younger we missed a flight to New York because of my sister's travel sickness 😂 She'll never live that one down, she's still a terrible traveller, can't do buses at all. Trains and planes are ok.

I was the exact same, except it extended to all modes of transport, except maybe the train.

I remember Dad putting those anti-static strips on the back bumper of the car (all the rage in the early 90s) thinking it would stop us being ill, but nope. Not really sure how he thought they'd work but I'd say he was pretty desperate at that point.

I'm ok travelling now but it can be ropey sometimes. I'm going to New York in two weeks and wondering how I'll cope on the flight :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

The dogs had pulled up part of my lino in May and we've organised new lino to be installed next week so we had to pull up the floor to see if we needed to do much prep work.

The lino came up and we saw that 90% of the floating floor underneath was covered in black mould. Disgusting. Once we got that out of the way and finally saw the concrete we realised the people who lived here before us must have a had some leaky pipes and shocking DIY skills. The concrete was all over the place.

Going to be a long week getting it ready but so glad that mould isn't in the house even if we didn't know it was there.

Starting the jobs now to get the house looking nice for Christmas!

Heating was turned on yesterday evening for 2 hours, definitely got colder on Tuesday evening and was chilly yesterday morning. Is supposed be a little warmer at the weekend but it's starting to feel like Autumn now.

We turned the heating on yesterday evening too, definitely a temperature drop the last couple of nights.

Also, left the house this morning for the drive to the office and it was night time, pitch dark, for the first time this autumn… so no more daylight drives to work until 2025!

Really starting to see the darkness earlier in the evenings too, at training on Tuesday we had to stop at 7.45 as the lads were struggling to see the yellow sliotars because the light had gotten so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭Andrew93

Heating also went on in my house for the first time. I must say I will miss our electricity bill being under 200 every 2 months now 🤣

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I lit the fire last night, there was a definite chill in the air all of yesterday and frost on the ground yesterday morning. I do a class on Tuesday evenings 6-7pm and when we were coming out you could see it was starting to get a little bit dark, it'll be dark coming out in a week or two.

I'm enjoying the current little trend on Instagram reels of someone coming out their front door and they hear on the wind the first 3 bars of Mariah as if she's on the way. Makes me laugh every time 😂

Listening to Nova in the car on the way in & someone texted in that Mariah was currently thawing out for the coming season… was that someone from here? 😀

PJ did not take it well & demanded that all talk of the end of year 'C' word be banned until January!🙄

• Advertisement

PJ is an oul grump, I wouldn't mind him 🤣

I don't, other than Dublin GAA me & him agree on very little. 😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Had my stove lighting last night watching the football. It was bliss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I went to see Hamilton last night and it was amazing. Shame the weather was absolutely woeful.

I had the heating on yesterday but getting through today ok. I have blended working and wouldn't mind one of those oodies/knock off oodies for the mornings I'm working from home. Might put it on my Christmas list!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭gidget

I did wonder when he & his wife welcomed the twins last year would he have started to mellow a little and learn to enjoy it, seems not. I feel sorry for them if he starts ruining the magic for them.

I don't know does this pic make me all emotional or just want Lindtt Chocolate.

Even in the middle of the summer, I haven't had an electricity bill under €200 since 1995. 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭kitten_k

some of ye might like this

Advertisement