Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭Bodan

As Ryan said its more about children's stories than about toys, i'm sure their is a happy balance in there somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,676 ✭✭✭✭L1011

So I've 4.5 days leave left to take, with the gap between Christmas and NYE dealt with - working one day fully remote.

I didn't realise just how close we were to the big day until I checked what weekends I had left to make a long weekend out of. Two. Cause it's too late to extend this one.

Thursday Friday next week sounds like a good option to start with, or half day Thursday probably as I've got something pencilled in to do at midday. Might actually get the gaff somewhat cleaned and tidied for the 25th!

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭BK5

Just going through my own personnel checklist here, as @L1011 says weekends are in short supply. We have the decorations done, most presents got and wrapped, fridge and oven have been scrubbed like they are brand new again and i went to the bottle bank and got rid of a ton a glass this evening.

Freezer still needs a clear out to make room but all in all we are pretty sorted.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,780 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I have 0 presents bought, 0 cards made/bought or sent and only some window decorations and an advent calendar out. I can has cheezpanic now, can me?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,269 ✭✭✭✭DvB

I must start packing my suitcase soon, sounds like I've loads of time.but with work being mental and 60+ hours expected for the next 2 weeks it's tighter than I'd like.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement

Work Christmas Party in the Guinness Storehouse tonight, should be good, looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Some posters on here are so on the ball, where as me still think i got plenty if time till someone reminds what date it is.

We were going to pick the Christmas tree today always make it a family trip but trying to arrange a time with my two sons is hard work as always out doing something else ,but they still insist we do not go without them, ah miss the days when they were still children it was so much easier, just throw them in the car and off we go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

@BK5 working through my freezer myself

Feeling really festive can’t describe why…it really is just a feeling isn’t it

No presents wrapped yet, overseas cards already sent, 1 more Garland to get, local cards to be wrote

2 presents for besties yesterday a night out for us all next November at Gabrielle big Gabrielle fans we go to all her shows in Dublin , another 2 presents today

I would like to do something with my bannisters I usually go for tinsel and lights but was thinking of getting some nice ribbon and hanging baubles instead probably not a great idea my little one.. she will probably grab the baubles 😂 we’l see

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭A cup of te

Ah, what a good present. I really like Gabrielle as well but have never seen her. The general sale is Monday so hoping to get tickets for Dublin then.

Agree about it all being a feeling really re the festive spirit.

All presents wrapped as of today, feels like we've a weight lifted now. Absolutely must get my suitcase out tomorrow and start looking at what I need.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,846 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

just back from 10 days in Spain so have loads of catching up to do - over 200 posts on this thread alone. Had a lovely time and loved the lights in Malaga. Pretty tired today but managed to get the outdoor lights up and we will concentrate on the tree tomorrow. Missed the toy show, hope everyone enjoyed it. @CheerLouth - I hope your daughter is recovering well.

Took a trip to Farmleigh markets this afternoon you can see sheep, cows, horses then the markets have mulled wine , crepes, doughnuts, Christmas wreaths flowers, decorations, cheese etc all for sale along with cheese board items, also beef burgers from local farmer, pizza too worth a stroll

Also story telling, Carol singing, decorated beautifully around the place, some of the events ticketed but free

Will definitely pop by again on every Saturday and Sunday now

its their first year back since Covid we’ve been to the market a few times this year they’ve gorgeous bakers that have Guinness brown bread it’s delicious

Post edited by SarahLil on

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Hope everyone is enjoying the weekend, can say it's first 'Xmas party'weekend in 3 years

Sadly won't experience it this year but pubs are normal again so that's a lift

Afternoon elves anyone have a flurry of snow this morning we did for a couple of minutes, had a lazy morning at home it was quite dark and still is so nice been at home with the lights glistening

anyone at a Christmas party last night how’s the head?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Did all my shopping yesterday from my bedroom. Should all arrive this week.

Other than the big food/drink shop Christmas week, I'm done.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

I went shopping on Friday into penny’s for a Christmas present. Next time I will pick a quieter day than Friday evening. 🙈

makes me grateful not to be working in retail again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭tscul32

Nearly done here. Myself and OH hit the local shopping centre yesterday and did a bit. Am going to brave Blanchardstown next Saturday to finish it off, but I'll be there for 9am so that I can get in easily and get home early.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

I wouldn't buy this lights from home value again, from unboxing and unwinding ending up in tangled mess😩. I tried to put These on outside tree, have another unopened boxed of these which I am not even going to touch, brought last year because half price.

Nearly have my holiday packing done, bit of ironing to do and a couple of things in the wash I want to bring so get them sorted and at least that's all done.

Back to Christmas stuff again now...😀

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Pistachio19

Think I'm finished shopping for the youngest but the older 2 (young adults) are proving difficult. This should be our last year for Santa and I'm glad in a way, as trying to buy stocking fillers for a 21 year old is a pain - he and the 18 year old play along and get from Santa too - madness on my part of course. Don't know why I didn't cut that out years ago. Next year it will be a couple of decent gifts for everyone instead of all the bits to make Santa look generous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I'm 26 and live at home. My brothers are also early 20s. Obviously we don't do santa, but we do a big Christmas present morning still. My mother still gives us stocking (and probably always will). I don't think age should be a barrier.

Party last night and head not too bad to be honest. Great night, got home about 3am and my brother rings me this morning at 8:30 😴😅

• Registered Users Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Shouldn't have gone to Woodies!

Both Gavin and Stacey Christmas specials were on Gold yesterday, the old one was on about 6pm and the newer one at 9:30pm, managed to watch them both.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭Jude13

Nice to get the packing done early, where are you off too?

The in-laws left this morning at 3am, they were here for three weeks. My folks arrive in two weeks for Christmas.

We had a Christmas dinner yesterday as we wont be spending it with my OH's family. Man do I love ham.

HAve both planned to watch this week, though wont do them back to back on the one night, need to spread the fun.

Watch 'A Boy Called Christmas' again last night, we had watched its premiere last year but it never really stuck in my head, but really enjoyed it second time around, in fact we all did, its a great addition to the Christmas collection.

Heading to Jamaica on Christmas Eve! Weighed the suitcase last night and i'm currently at 18.9 kg with toiletries still to be added, its a 20kg limit so its gonna be tight!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Big weekend in the LoughC household the little elf turned 1. The quickest year ever, lovely weekend was had, had plenty of cake, sweets, party food,etc and loads of friends and family around, felt very Christmassy.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Miserable weather all weekend though, felt like it didn't stop raining once and the temperatures didn't leave much to be desired. Forecast is looking COLD COLD COLD this week wrap up warm and take it handy on the roads, two more working weeks to go we can do this!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Morning all, hope all had a nice weekend.

Busy weekend (aren't they all at the minute!), panto & dinner in town Friday, went to Disney & Lego stores and down to BT to look at the windows. Was a great atmosphere in town, dry and cold as well so very Christmasy.

Saturday had Christmas market in the local hall and then back to folk's house with all the family for a late lunch. Arranged last minute presents, who's bringing what for Christmas Day etc. Then Sunday did all the outside decorations dodging all the showers.

Work today seems like a break!!

Advertisement