Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Christmas breakfast and secret santa day in work tomorrow. 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Enjoy.

Last day for me. Hope to finish up in time to pick kids up from school and take them out for an end of term hot chocolate.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,269 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Last full day for me, I'm in the office for a half day tomorrow but its to close out a few bits and we'll head out for Christmas lunch at 2pm, and more importantly as far as the clients are concerned I'm not here so I can close out stuff in relative peace.

Had my last drive in with Christmas FM on in the car to keep me company (bussing it tomorrow) and it was nice that the last morning one I'll hear had plenty of crackers & no turkeys!!

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭jellybear

Just back from the weekly shop in Dunnes. Shelves all stocked and good dates on everything so I'll just need to pop in on Friday for fresh veg. Wasn't too busy either thankfully!😊

Hubby finished work today so will finally have time to start wrapping presents...I don't get a minute during the day 🤣

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Belated birthday wishes @Loughc and @BK5!

Last day of work for me - although technically it's also my first day of work for the week as I had to cut Monday short & take yesterday off with an ear infection. Still feel like I'm on a boat but have to get some stuff finished today. In good news though, I did manage to wrap my presents yesterday.

Looking forward to the next few days. Bit of last minute shopping tomorrow, then we are taking the kids to our local for dinner so we can relax and soak up the atmosphere. Then Friday, I'm planning on making mince pies & icing the cake. Also need to fit in a viewing of the Muppets Christmas Carol & possibly Angela's Christmas too.

@CheerLouth mind yourself with the ear infection. I suffer terribly with recurrent ones and they're awful!!

Sounds like a lovely few days you have planned, enjoy!!😊😊

Take care of yourself CL and enjoy the festivities.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Oh no, you poor thing, they are horrid. I haven't had one in a good few years now but my hearing in my right ear has never been the same since. This one is in the left so really hoping it doesn't do any damage!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Abed, sleeping at intervals. after the worst weather night I remember in many years.

Offshore here and the gale and battering rain were deafening , so sleepless.

It may well be my supplies do not get over; but like all good islanders I keep spares ec in.

Drained! In recovery.. All here is as ready and quietly Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭pigtail33

I was out for a walk at lunch time and the Christmas tree 'graveyard' has already been set up in my town. I know the council don't want to be setting it up in the few days after Christmas, but it always makes me sad to see it, especially before Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭gidget

Last day of work for me too, only a few more hours until I can switch off the laptop until I return in the New Year 🙂.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,476 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Yay, laptop was officially abandoned at 2pm and the commute home consisted of walking down from the attic.

Shovelling some food into the kids now before we go to Santa at Palmerston House followed by a detour to look at the Christmas House in Weston on the way home.

Can't wait to put my feet up later 🍬🥩🍷

Post edited by Heroditas on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭DenMan

Was off work yesterday and got some presents wrapped listening to Christmas FM. 😂 Just home from work and back in tomorrow morning for 7am again. Working Christmas Eve this year for the first so looking forward to it, the buzz is unreal!

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭A cup of te

Happy for all of you finishing up at work :) party time!!! I'm in for the week (wfh) but will have 4 days in a row off then. Not back till next Weds. Isn't the last week always a struggle? One year I took this week off and it was the best decision ever. I'm always tired on this last week. I think it's the darkness and the body going into hibernation mode or something. We've the longest day done today now anyway. So looking forward to being off.

The boxes of crisps seem to have disappeared from all of our local shops and tesco! I was going to get them and double cream for a tiramisu I'm gonna make on Christmas eve. Other than that I think it's just a case of picking up the veg.

Happy belated birthdays to loughc and bk5.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Last day of work for me tomorrow back 9th Jan. Have not got the Christmas food shopping or my wife a present yet waiting for the Christmas bonus which is always given last day of work, now if employers renege on the Christmas bonus it will like the scene out National Lampoons Christmas vacation, i wont be happy, but have every year so why change now😬

(Don't know why the font is like this)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Felt abit panicked when I woke this morning just things piling up to do and time going so fast but had planned a trip to farm earlier in the week for today we went to this morning with the little one then into the cafe for some breakfast other half had the day off got some bits from the farm shop too

Headed to do the graves then this afternoon then we headed to Dunnes for a few bits, got my Christmas nails done so getting there

Hoping for a fairly quiet day tomorrow a few house jobs, a nice walk maybe grab a voucher from the post office, drop gifts to pharmacy while out for a walk, watch something Christmassy while the little one naps and finish wrapping, I miscalculated how many large bows I needed for gifts but they seem to be out of stock in Dunnes will improvise with ribbon and smaller bows hopefully

Enjoy Palmerston House, we went for first time this year and thought it was excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,858 ✭✭✭sporina

Xmas lunch/dinner with a massive gang (30) of my hiking buddies today woo hoo.. wonderful food, service, chats and hugs galore.. feeling love - and for me, thats what Xmas is all about - spending time with those you love..

• Registered Users Posts: 38,319 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Didn't realise Christmas is in January for some religions

Any videos on YouTube explaining all the differences ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭BK5

Have to go in for a few hours tomorrow morning but officially work is finished for 90% of the staff today. Going to a nice restaurant for lunch today and then a bit of shopping.....shopping for a few creamy pints!!! 😄😄

• Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭Jude13

The lady who sits beside me is from Ethiopia and is happy working away over our Christmas as her Christmas is 7th Jan.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

So disaster has struck my sister was meant to be hosting us from the 23rd to the 26th and her husband has just tested positive for covid.

Meaning we have no where to go or nothing in for Christmas 😢😢

Going to stay in my parents house but they are quiet elderly and my sister normally cooks for them so now suddenly we were thrusted into trying to buy a Turkey, ham and all the trimmings and cook it all. The only reason we even agreed to go to my sisters house cause her kids are in their 20s and she offered to cook and allow us time to enjoy Christmas with our little man but now I feel like we are going to be stresseD out. Feel like I got no break at all this year.

Sorry to hear that, I know it seems like a disaster at the minute however you’ll make it work.

Last year OH got positive result 4pm Christmas Eve and we were meant to be hosting but folks had turkey, sister had veg etc. Last minute panic however we got through.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I wonder if you went to a few local butchers would they be able to sort you out?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭tscul32

Ah Loughc, that's awful. But as said above you'll make it work. Plenty of time to do a shop, don't try to do everything, and just try to roll with it. Would be worse if he got the +ve after you got there.

The little man will make it for ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭Jude13

Sorry to hear that dude. Any chance you guys could get the turkey and ham meals in M&s or something?

Awh sorry to hear that @Loughc

It's so disappointing for you all! Hope you get sorted food wise and the day isn't too stressful!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

In Dunnes now. Dunnes have MASSIVELY saved the day. They are so well stocked. Great atmosphere here too as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

WHen we were children, if we got ear infections, we drizzled warm olive oil in. It always worked...Ear infections are so.... invasive. Not like a sore finger.

Post edited by Graces7 on

Advertisement