Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I couldn't believe I had to defrost the car this morning, March leaving us a parting gift.

Absolutely smothered here this morning, little man has me killed since he started creche he brings home a new virus every week and I end up with a congested head for a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

The first two years at creche are a killer...they literally pick up every bug going! I remember my GP telling me (on one of our many visits with our eldest) that she'd be seeing me on a regular basis for the next few years & then after that, it would be very rare & she was right. She still sees me far too regularly, but never with the eldest - she has not needed a doctor in about 3 years TG!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Yeah the crèche owner literally said to us after his first week the first two years are the hardest with sickness. After that he’ll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,267 ✭✭✭✭DvB

We were told something similar, that by the time they start school they'll have already gone through so many of those viral bugs they'll miss far less school.

My son for example went all the way through school without missing a day until covid struck. That was 100% thanks to the creche having exposed them to loads of bugs that boosted their immune systems. It does pay off in the long run (until they start playing sport & breaking things!!)

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

This exactly - our eldest never missed a day until Covid. Last year, she missed over 2 weeks thanks to quarantining at various points through the year. This year, we are back to full attendance so far!

How is your daughter actually DvB, after her injury?

• Advertisement

She got out of the boot on Friday after the consultant saw the latest x-ray & said he was happy with the healing and that she was about 2 weeks ahead of where he thought she'd be (so she was delighted) So she's 4 weeks of physio with exercises to do 3 times a day at home too, then if all goes to plan (there's 2 clear indicators she needs to achieve to show she's ready) she can resume training/playing after that 4 weeks are up.

She's just delighted to be back not having any casts, boots, crutches etc. but suspect she'll push to be let back playing when that novelty wears off.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Fingers crossed for her so! Glad she managed to avoid surgery!

Brighter morning here than yesterday. Can see the cows out in the field across the road. That combined with the smell of slurry all over the parish is a sure sign that Spring has sprung!

Sad news about Paul O'Grady - I always liked him.

Was still dark when I left at 6.20am but was brightening up by the time I got into the office, and as much as that's unfortunate its great having the longer brighter evenings to make up for it. We managed to have our first training session back on grass last night between 7-8pm which was great as the astro's are not great for skill development for either code for the kids.

After all the rain though the pitches were a tad 'soggy' however, so most of the lads went home a tad 'mucky' shall we say 😆

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Yeah, waking up to the news this morning about Paul O'Grady really took the wind out of my sails. So sad. ☹️

• Advertisement

Really felt like a proper spring evening out there tonight. Sunny, warmish and a smell of freshly cut grass in the air

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭BK5

Little bit brighter at half 6 in the morning already after the clocks going forward.

On a seasonal note, we are making enquiries in work for a venue for this years Christmas Party. :)

Whatever about the brightness I'm longing for some dry weather, sick of the heavy showers at this stage, cant remember the last time it felt like we had a day go by without it lashing rain at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭gidget

Well it's finally caught up with me, tested positive for the first time for Covid this morning, after a flu like symptoms started 😔! Day 1 now of mandatory 7 day self isolation, so far everyone else in house has come up negative thankfully. Have the advantage of a tv & dvd player in my room so have a few boxsets there I can at least work my way through, while I'm cooped up here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Sorry to hear that Gidget - look after yourself and I hope you're not too sick 😷.

Hope your feeling ok @gidget and try to embrace the down time. Look after yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭tscul32

It was still dark when I was dropping the eldest elf to the airport at 3am!!

@gidget hope you get well soon and take advantage of the isolation to binge watch everything.

Am smothered with a cold myself, thankfully covid test was -ve. Whiskey doused lemsip beside me to get me to sleep.

I would hope it was! 😂

Smothered here too, feel okay but completely stuffed up. Had that delicious lemsip whiskey cocktail last night. 🥃

Hope you get well soon, @gidget and have a quick recovery. Mind yourself!

Happy Friday one and all. Next weekend is a long weekend so something to look forward to or plan for.

• Advertisement

Aye, we've 3 short weeks in a row, next week we have Good Friday off, then the week after its Easter Monday off & the week after that we're taking the weds, thurs & Fri off as its the kids confirmation on the Friday & we're hosting family for it that are across from the UK (ie loads of cleaning & prep to be done)

Means my workload will be off the charts when I come back in towards the end of April, but I'll worry about that at the time!!

Last year’s most common Christmas disasters revealed!

The top most common Christmas disasters from last year have been revealed, from burning the turkey, undercooking the roast potatoes and forgetting the gravy, making the list. So what else made the list, here’s the full breakdown here:

A study of 2,000 adults by St Pierre found that the things centred around food with soggy vegetables and undercooked greens both make the top five in the list.

Other mistakes include forgetting vegetarian and vegan alternatives, not having enough plates and running out of wrapping paper.

“It’s safe to say the majority of us have experienced some sort of unplanned mishap at Christmas,” said a spokesperson for St Pierre. “A lot of the list of disasters are food focused because food is such an important part of the occasion and it’s something everyone wants to get right to impress others.

“That said, it’s always useful to have something in the cupboard as back-up and there are clever ways to cheat your way to a magnifique Christmas spread.

“No matter how bad it might feel messing up on Christmas Day, those who have experienced such a thing agree that it’s all part of making memories.”

Here are the top 20 most common Christmas disasters in 2022:

Burnt turkey

Burnt stuffing

Undercooked roast potatoes

Soggy vegetables

Hard, under-cooked vegetables

Forgetting gravy when serving up

Food being served cold

Forgetting to supply vegetarian/vegan alternatives for guests

Forgetting Christmas pudding

Lumpy gravy

Watery gravy

Fridge/freezer breaking so all food is ruined

Not having enough plates to serve dinner to all guests

Oven breaking

Waking up late, meaning dinner will be late

Running out of wrapping paper

Not having enough chairs to sit all guests

Microwave breaking

Not putting name tags on gifts and forgetting what is for who

Kid’s seeing me wrapping presents intended to be from Santa

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭pigtail33

Oh no @gidget hopefully your symptoms are mild and you can make the most of the downtime. I was reading during the week that Covid has spiked again in the UK, although most only have cold like symptoms. A friend of mine was at the rugby over Paddy's weekend and picked up Covid at it.

Another damp, grey day out there today. And looking at the forecast, it's pretty much going to rain for the next 48 hours. Sigh...

Hope you are on the mend @gidget & can take advantage of some down time.

The rain is starting to get on my wick. Although we did have a nice bright evening yesterday which was great as we had the start of the GAA season so it's always nice when the first training session isn't a wash out. Busy weekend ahead with kids activities. Trip to Mullingar on Sunday for the Scór semi-finals.

Last day of March!!

What a quick month. April no doubt will fly in too with Easter as a little distraction.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

March really went with a blink!

It really did, especially since it was a 31 day month!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭tscul32

I'm sitting looking out at the rain. I had an online class all day and now have to go join my cub scouts on a camp out. At least I missed out the set up, the photos are of nothing but mud where grass used to be.

But now I'm trying to steel myself to actually get up and out🥺

I think the weather gods are the ones fooling us today! So awful out. 😵‍💫

• Advertisement

April can’t be any worse than March for weather. Right?!?

Advertisement