Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,319 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Up in Dublin for the Ireland vs Holland game, not confident but enjoyable day so far

Fucking Google maps confusing me, left the 'Thomas Moore' wanting to go to Smyths pub not they had me going me around in circles and now in the 'Swan'. Might as well stay here and go to Aviva from there

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭A cup of te

100% agree @Cork Lass. If it's not like chocolates or perfume or something then tickets for an event or a meal or something are the best gifts. Re the thing at work, I only started doing that in 2020 during covid because we couldn't go out together and though I really wanted to try do Band Aid via a Skype call with us taking a line each I decided on a more civilised idea of leaving a Malteaser reindeer on everyone's desks having snuck in one evening to decorate the office. I actually didn't realise there was a big important meeting with bigwigs there the very next day but apparently they were all delighted walking into a winter wonderland ;-) i was told it even made a few of them laugh. So I kept it up as we have a blended work arrangement still so I can time it to surprise everyone!

@SCOOP 64 I am the very same. Feeling better that the weather is turning back. I just can't hack the hot weather at all but I'm glad for the majority who seem to like it that we got a bit of sun.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Right rain is back. Christmas season is here 😆😆

• Registered Users Posts: 10,269 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Saw some of the Christmas gift sets today in blanch, nivea and lynx ones.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭BK5

Just for curiosity I looked up the population of the northern hemisphere vs the population of the southern hemisphere and 90% of the worlds population live in the north, had no idea it was that big a difference.

Even allowing for cultural, religious or any other traditions it is no wonder the world sees Christmas as a winter/cold celebration and thinks hot weather at Christmas is weird.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

90% - but... but... the southern hemisphere has South America, a decent chunk of Africa, plus Australia and New Zealand! I didn't think it would be such a disparity. 😮

Almost every Christmas movie also has cold weather and snow, so I guess that makes it feel like that's what Christmas should be like, too. Festive films where it's hot are few and far between. I can't think of any 'classics' where it's not cold or snowy.

Plus, Santa is from the North Pole, so snow/ice/cold just feels right.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,319 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Hardly snowing/cold up the road particularly in some African countries near the Hemisphere line

Geography is such an odd thing

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

There won't be snow in Africa this Christmas time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭Jude13

Woke at 6am this morning and its was properly dark. My youngest keeps watchin Christmas specials (smurfs etc. don't know where she gets it from) and is beggin to get Christmas songs played on the record player. I am trying my best to hold off until November.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,163 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

This made me chuckle, I assume you worked it out eventually or someone told you that Smyths transformed into the Thomas Moore a few years ago. The Swan is a nice spot for a Guinness. Looked like the Dutch fans were good craic from the videos I have seen from yesterday 😊

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭pigtail33

Dunnes now have a Christmas section live on their website too. Not a lot there yet though. I usually love their Christmas range, so I can't wait to see this year's offerings.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭ClaudeVercetti

I know not everyone's a fan of it but I'm glad to see a bit of seasonal weather today and milder temperatures. Loved the sun but feeling more like the BER months today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I'm thrilled. I'm at peace with Autumn / Winter weather. So easier to live. I like summer to an extent, because I don't cope well in the sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭ClaudeVercetti

I agree completely, I tend to feel a lot more content this time of year. Not built for the Mediterranean climates!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I had to do a few jobs outside last week and a couple outside today in work, a LOT easier working in the temperature today I can tell you.

The wife was in the Range today in Maynooth and they have a huge amount of Christmas stuff out now. She says a lot of really fab stuff too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,476 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I thought he meant Smyth's on Haddington Road and was going to tease him for getting completely lost 🤭

• Registered Users Posts: 30,495 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Get your eggs guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,495 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

It's nice that's It's a bit later in September!

2 weeks later than last year, will run a lot closer to Christmas so.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement

A lot chillier this morning and this evening than a couple of days ago. Getting darker too. 100 days to go very soon, are you starting to get the "tingle" yet? ha ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,846 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

I'm looking forward to it and I hope Alison is a good host - could go either way with her tbh.

Was on site in westport today,had the heating on in the car on the way down it was that chilly. Winter work coat on to when on site. Big change from last week.

Have a feeling she'll be good. Looking forward to it starting, it's probably my favourite TV show these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

Ordered my first Christmas present. Well it's a pre-order as it's not in print yet. A book for my daughter.

I've to find a new hiding place this year, as my youngest happily lets herself into our attic eves these days 🙄 she doesn't have permission but she does it anyway. Any ideas for hiding places? Our house is small with not very much storage space, as our attic is converted.

Last year we got a mouse that ate through our Christmas chocolate too, so no food can go up there either.

Same as that, first morning in ages the dial had to go towards the red so the windscreen was kept clear. Won' t be long till the woolly hat will have to go on if the breeze in the morning gets any brisker.

We nearly turned the heating on in the house this evening as well.

Do you have any friends that don't have kids and live near enough that you could store the presents with them? Very hard to hide the bigger items and the last thing you want is for them to find them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

Actually yeah, my brother in law moved reasonably close to us in the past few months. They've no kids and a spare room. Might ask them.

My older kid is probably on the cusp of not believing but we're going to Lapland this year, so hoping that will extend it by another year. Younger one has a few years left yet.

So much chillier this morning. Definitely instantly gave me That Christmas feeling. A far cry from last week.

• Advertisement

We used to hide stuff in our suitcases in the attic storage area (ours is converted too)

Only became a problem when my son moved up there to use it as his bedroom😆

Advertisement