Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,400 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I've never done the 12 pubs (it'd probably end in disaster for me) but I'll miss my Christmas meet ups. Usually see people I used to work with, college pals and my close group make it a point to get together one of the nights.I don't get many nights out in general so I'll even miss our work Christmas lunch!

I'm not overly mad on zoom meet ups but hopefully this is only for the one year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭jellybear

Saw 2 Christmas trees this evening!:D

I'm sat watching Operation Christmas Drop and doing up a Christmas card list.

I've never really posted cards so I'll have to go searching for people's addresses. Going to try get as many without asking the person directly as I can. (I don't mean I'll stalk them, more that id ask boyfriends/sisters ðŸ˜)

Does anyone know when Christmas stamps come out?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

On sale now https://www.anpost.com/Shop/Special-issue-stamps/Christmas-2020

Just ordered one of the bundles to begin with, saves going into a post office and they often don't have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

I'm sat watching Operation Christmas Drop and doing up a Christmas card list.

I've never really posted cards so I'll have to go searching for people's addresses. Going to try get as many without asking the person directly as I can. (I don't mean I'll stalk them, more that id ask boyfriends/sisters ðŸ˜)

Maybe drop a hint to someone that you would like a nice address book for Christmas. My mum brought us one after a couple of years going round to their house to write our card using their one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,676 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've never done the 12 pubs (it'd probably end in disaster for me)

I write about pubs. I've been to ~60% of all the pubs in Dublin. I do pub crawls.

12 pubs in a row would be a disaster for me

Only an actual functional alcoholic is not in a wreck by the end of it; and that is one of the reasons I'm glad it had really died a death in recent years.

Christmas Eve Pints a totally different thing.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

jellybear wrote: »
    Saw 2 Christmas trees this evening!:D

I saw 12 tonight.

11 of them in apartments 1 house. There was one ground floor apartment that just had a BEAUTIFUL tree and lights. So if anyone lives in a new apartment in D13 I seen your tree on a walk this evening and it is stunning.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,475 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Went to Lidl earlier and managed to grab their Christmas brochure. Next stop - Aldi. Had to queue for a while to get in and no catalogue to be found :(
    My wife then brought one of the girls out in the afternoon to pick up the gin set in another Aldi and came back with a load of Christmas stuff ... but no catalogue! all gone

Anyway, some decent Christmas stuff picked up today including candy canes, pink gin marshmallows and the gin after eights. :D
    Trying to restrain myself from buying some Elite, mince pies and Afternoon Tea for another week.

L1011 wrote: »
    I write about pubs. I've been to ~60% of all the pubs in Dublin. I do pub crawls.

Only an actual functional alcoholic is not in a wreck by the end of it; and that is one of the reasons I'm glad it had really died a death in recent years.

Christmas eve pints were always great. Loved seeing all the folks from Canada and Australia getting back home. I didn't bother last year because in previous years id ruined myself for Christmas day.if only I knew the option would be gone this time

• Registered Users Posts: 38,319 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Always liked reading up about the Xmas eve busks but sadly not taken place this year

Bono and the Edge showed up the odd time

• Advertisement

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Always liked reading up about the Xmas eve busks but sadly not taken place this year

Bono and the Edge showed up the odd time

I always love the segment on the news showing people arrive in Dublin Airport.
    However, I'd like to think it'll be extra special next year.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

L1011 wrote: »

Nice job!

What would be your top 3 favourite pubs and why?

I've always deeply loved the Library Bar. Gone. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭Jude13

Put up a tree over the weekend!! It’s about 2.5 inches high, with lights, and it sits on my dashboard. I haven’t put the lights on as that would be silly…(if someone can let me know which website is best to post pics I will throw up a pic)

Our local grocery has trees up and lit and is Choco block with Christmas sweats. 30 days’ work (incl. today) left for me.

I bought the little ones big pressie today, she is mad for tractors. We have booked a few days away mid December as I am being pushed to take leave. We are lucky that we are not on full lock down here. Have full covid insurance so not getting too excited in case its all canceled, we can dream though.

I am still holding off on Chrismas fm until it is on the radio.

Christmas eve pints will be at home this year as I couldn't leave the little one, or ask for a sitter on Christmas eve.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Jude13 wrote: »
    Put up a tree over the weekend!! It’s about 2.5 inches high, with lights, and it sits on my dashboard. I haven’t put the lights on as that would be silly…(if someone can let me know which website is best to post pics I will throw up a pic)

I find imgur good to use for putting up pics Jude.

Use to love Christmas Eve pub/pints however last few years has been at home, glass of wine and putting together some usually very complex Santa present with Christmas FM on in the background.

Must say, don't really miss the pub/pints at all. Must be getting old :eek:

yiRlpRW.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,269 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Christmas eve pints hasn't been a thing for us since the kids came along so thats 10 years or so now. Did used to love it though. Still like to get out with the family to the local for some food in the days before though, love the vibe with all the decorations etc.

Have to do without this year though sadly.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

It's been a good few years here too, with the hangover the next day, the local GAA club being to rammed, kids, and many pals not being there it wasnt the same. the 23rd is where its at for a boozer in town. 24th at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Used to be a great night on Christmas Eve. Only about 3 hours but the craic was mighty!
    In recent years its been the 23rd and it's been very enjoyable.
    Can any of you help me? I've been looking at Google pics and I've lovely Christmas pictures from previous years that I'd like to hang in a red frame and put up every Christmas. Easier said than done to find. Have any of you seen a red collage photo frame? I'm looking for one that holds about 6 6x4 pictures and of course they don't seem to exist.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Used to be a great night on Christmas Eve. Only about 3 hours but the craic was mighty!
    Can any of you help me? I've been looking at Google pics and I've lovely Christmas pictures from previous years that I'd like to hang in a red frame and put up every Christmas. Easier said than done to find. Have any of you seen a red collage photo frame? I'm looking for one that holds about 6 6x4 pictures and of course they don't seem to exist.

If you fail to find a red frame could you buy a white one and either paint or spray paint it red?

Alternatively look for a local artist who sells painting/artwork they might have already done this previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

I like Christmas Eve at home now a good its been a good few years since I have been out on Christmas Eve but I agree DvB I think if you are out anywhere in the run up to it there is a great buzz everywhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Pistachio19

I agree, buy a plain wooden frame and sand it a bit. You will probably only need to buy a tester pot of red wood paint.

Since the kids arrived Christmas Eve always sees me at home. Funnily enough my big night was always the 23rd and then one or two on the 24th.

Visited my mother today and she produced the Aldi and Dunnes food catalogues for me. Very happy now. I think I have the whole set :D

Christmas Eve has changed for me from a good heavy day of pints and Christmas carols and songs in a local pub out at 3, home at 9 in a chipper in hand.

It’s now a Chinese with family at 6 followed by pints. Home by 9/10 looking for a hang sandwich.

While the meal and pints most likely won’t happen I’m sure bottles at my parents and a takeaway will still be a good substitute.

Giant santa letter post box up in Waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Christmas lights up in Grafton St. Dublin. I don't think they are lighting them yet, but they are ready to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I've never done Christmas Eve pints. An afternoon in the pub in the run up to Christmas is nice but Christmas Eve is all about being cosy at home.

I love the little tree, Jude. Such a good way to add a little Christmas cheer!

I've never done Christmas Eve pints. An afternoon in the pub in the run up to Christmas is nice but Christmas Eve is all about being cosy at home.

I love the little tree, Jude. Such a good way to add a little Christmas cheer!

Think I only started doing Xmas eve pints 3/4 years ago. They are nice but could ruin your Xmas day if your over do it and have a hangover

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Heroditas wrote: »
    Since the kids arrived Christmas Eve always sees me at home. Funnily enough my big night was always the 23rd and then one or two on the 24th.

Visited my mother today and she produced the Aldi and Dunnes food catalogues for me. Very happy now. I think I have the whole set :D

I just had a look at the Lidl and Aldi Christmas catalogue online it all looks fab, hopefully I will get in store and pick up the actual catalogue

I love those days over Christmas having picky bits for dinner, crackers, nice breads, cheese, antipasti meats, vol au vents, finger food...yummy

• Registered Users Posts: 10,269 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Sat here watching TV with the kids and great seeing all the Christmas adverts appearing... peak advert week coming soon!!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Thanks for the ideas on the red frame. My creative and DIY skills would be very very poor!!!

Did some shopping online. Some sites that were recommended here and all Irish. Need to check my list and see what I need to get.

Advertisement