Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Bit of a love hate relationship with the 'Christmas pints'. love them along with the decorations/festive tunes but one negative is the 'once a year drinkers' who think there owed something and can't handle it. Cost is also up from previous years. Thinking back to 2020/2021 it really was pathetic the way the pubs worked. 'Don't get off your seat, 'eat this €9 meal or else', 'can't be having that etc.

Watched the Wham documentary on Netflix, didn't realise they only around for 4 years with both of them finishing the band at only 23/24

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Slight panic setting in, Mam still in hospital conscious Christmas Day is a week Monday, I’ve no brothers or sisters hopefully good news soon lift the spirits, in-laws not feeling the best either

In other news delegated a few jobs to the OH, got the stamps for the cards get them wrote tonight, post in the morning,

• Registered Users Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Ye might murder me

• Registered Users Posts: 38,321 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Sorry to hear about your mother, hopefully all will be good very soon. My grandad not doing good. Still fighting away after very bad news this time last year

• Registered Users Posts: 6,846 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Keeping my fingers crossed or you @SarahLil, hopefully she will be home soon.

• Advertisement

It shocks us into action 😂 I’ve been having a wobble so put more lights up on the kitchen garland and Christmas fm to lift the spirits

thank you all x @PTH2009 & @Cork Lass

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

As said before Waterford is really something else at Christmas..delighted to see this award. 2024 is going to be absolutely amazing.

https://www.thesun.ie/travel/11857670/irish-christmas-market-festival-best-europe-waterford/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭pigtail33

I'm really starting feel the panic now, I've never been this unprepared. I ended up in hospital for a few days at the start of the month with extremely low iron levels so I've been playing catch-up since I got home. Did a blitz of online shopping on Monday and I think I have most of my presents sorted. I was supposed to be working right up to Friday, but I've taken a few extra days off so hopefully Monday will be my last day of work and I'll get to take a deep breath.

I had to cancel all my Christmas nights out, so I'm not feeling very festive at all, feels like I'm back in 2020...

Sorry to hear your Mam is still in hospital @SarahLil Hopefully she's home in time to get settled back home before Christmas.

The hourly countdown is truly terrifying. I could do with that number of days left!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Yes @pigtail33 250 days to go sounds better to me. Still so much to do!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Am I bit weird for getting a little twinge of sadness when all my presents are bought. It's like the first big thing that's done and dusted. Don't get me wrong, tomorrow I won't care but when it's done in that moment I feel a little down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,269 ✭✭✭✭DvB

I just want work to finish at this stage... 6am starts and finishing anything from 7 to 10pm is draining me big time... barely have time to sit back an appreciate the most wonderful time of the year.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Will you get earlier finishes Christmas week? That’s tough going mind yourself

I hate saying the Covid word but things seem to be have gone back hectic/demanding like before Covid ? I also see day to day the little random kindness has disappeared day to day if you know what I mean

regarding the pints industry my cousin runs a pub in Tipperary he’s been jam packed since mid November with Christmas bookings he’s never seen anything like it he said and he worked in Stephen’s Green area for years

I think this is the first year the Christmas build up in terms of work parties etc is back since covid, my wife for example has her first work party tonight since 2019 & a few friends have been in a similar situation, so yes it does appear we are now back to our pre covid 'ways'

In terms of my works hours, I decide what hours I work to be fair so its my own fault, but since our buy out earlier in the year I've discovered a whole new list of things to be done on top of the day to day project work. I had a feel for it previously, but this is a whole new level of stress & pressure.

I think that's why i'll always prefer the Christmas holiday break to my summer one, at least everyone in our industry is off for the same time I am so theres nothing developing whilst I'm away. Anywya, last work Friday of the year today!! Just 3 days of work left once I leave the office later today!

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 3,810 ✭✭✭Jude13

Last official day in the office. I will have to do some work in the mornings next week. I woke up with full blown flu now!

Christmas shoes on Christmas fm first time I’ve heard it this season

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭BK5

Hope it doesn't knock you for six too much, best wishes. 🤞

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

I hear you @DvB - my work is also so busy, I really feel that I haven't been able to enjoy the build up at all. I'm literally thinking about it morning, noon & night - which is very annoying. I've to work this weekend for a project Go-Live, I won't finish now until next Friday. The company gives us a holiday day for Christmas which should be next Friday so in an ideal world, I'd be finishing on Wednesday, but if I can finish before lunch on Friday, I'll be doing well.

@SarahLil, I really hope that your Mam will be back on her feet soon. I hope you are doing ok - it must be hard with no one else to take some of the weight x

Nothing worse, look after yourself & try not to get too run down, if its full on Flu it'll be bed & little else for a couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,476 ✭✭✭Heroditas

My wife is also knocked out with an awful dose at the moment. She can barely get off the couch and missed her Christmas party today as a result.

I had mine yesterday. Turkey and ham in the staff canteen and then we had the end of year Town Hall followed by drinks in the canteen from 5 onwards. I left at 11.15 and it was still going strong. Sweet mother of Jesus I'm in bit today 🫣

• Registered Users Posts: 68,676 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Mines tonight. Starts very late so going for dinner beforehand - we've been told the food is "better than normal platters" but I'd like to get some carbs in first!

Have another non work thing to do tomorrow so would like to stay in some condition for that...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Was doing 8am-8pm most days this week myself but I did get to do 9am-4pm today.

I have 3 more days and then I’m done.

i did have a moment of solitude this morning walking the dogs and listening to ChristmasFM in the dark the peace and quiet reminded me of Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭A cup of te

Best wishes to all who haven't been/aren't well. That's the one thing I don't like about winter is the doses doing the rounds! I have had a bit of a dose myself the past week but thankfully not bad. Work has been absolutely mental. I'm really not feeling Christmassy at all. I haven't had a chance to even think lately. This is going to have to change. I may win that Millionaire Raffle and pack this working lark in. Life is short! Last minute Christmas shopping tomorrow. And work Christmas lunch next Thursday. Hope I can enjoy it in between all the ridiculous work demands!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Declan05

I've had Covid for the last few days but when I got it I wasn't disappointed because it meant I wouldn't have it for Christmas.

When I worked in an office, if we had our Christmas party within 2 weeks of Christmas Day then there was a strong possiblility I'd be poorly over Christmas. I never picked up anything at work or at home but the Christmas party involved going to a crowded pub, restaurant and maybe nightclub where I'd be prey to every flu, cold and infection going, and invariable I'd pick up something and given the timing, I'd be suffering from it on Christmas Day. If the office party was in early December any infection would be dead and buried before Christmas. 

I hope that if any of you get a bug in the coming days that it's gone before Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭BK5

Only 10 days to go and we are all so busy it's going to flash by us in a blur. I'm in the same boat, up this morning for work, in till next Friday and haven't had a chance to enjoy the countdown or get into the spirit at all.

Good thing the wife loves shopping or no one in the family would be getting anything :)

Hope everyone has a happy and healthy weekend.

Just back from the grocery shop and managed to pick up a load of Christmas stuff to reduce the pressure on next week's big Christmas shop. Always a chance certain bits will be sold out so hopefully have all the key bits covered now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

At work this morning...house is upside down...wish I could get a big shop in, there's no food left lol. Will try get to Aldi in the afternoon and get a few bits. Have a Tesco delivery booked for next Saturday so hoping to get all the bits then

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Bluebell woods

hello to all , I am a long time reader / learning plus huge inspiration from all ye Christmas lovers / food thread thank you

had A tough few years where joy wasn’t in the mix … but heigh ho I’m back in the game !!

never knew port & cheese @ 2pm was a a routine !!

port on the me list thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 68,676 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Got a lift back at about midnight and was greeted with chicken and chips at home so part one of Operation Try Avoid The Worst Hangover Ever worked.

Part(y) 2 this evening may be more complicated

Afternoon Elves oh I don’t envy the hangovers our coffee machine gave up this morning and I feel hungover without my coffee, OH had drinks with his work last night he was home around midnight he’s not feeling too bad so far

I got to the shops first thing this morning I went with a pen and paper blitzed the remaining gifts, vouchers I was home by 11 am I think I can officially say I am done apart from the food shop some alcohol gifts will be added to that.

little one napping going to head the farm with her in the afternoon for a ramble they do lovely food in the cafe might have turkey & ham going to pick up my wreaths for the family graves too at the farm shop

if I’ve time I want to get some red and white flowers at the garden centre for my new garden planter too I’ve an idea to put a big red and gold bow on the planter

Then off to see my mam this evening

Have a great day everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,476 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Evening elves! Pressure levels are starting to reduce now. Got the vast vast majority of the shopping finished today and also a load of stuff wrapped this evening. Also made it to the Lei ster match and now sitting on the sofa finally relaxing with a beer. Only one or two bits and pieces to get on Wednesday as well as the groceries and we're done and dusted.

Mrs H is really ill, been in bed since Thursday evening. It's either Covid (although she's testing negative) or an actual real dose of the 'flu. Fingers crossed she gets better in the next day or two.

Really excited about tomorrow. My nephew and wife are home from NZ for Christmas and staying with my sister. Never met his wife or daughter so I'm meeting my grandniece for the very first time. I'm not nearly old enough to be a granduncle (at least, that's my story). The kids are super excited too. Should be a great day.

Advertisement