Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭BK5

Finally last morning up early for a while, got most of the shopping done last night, only about 8 items on a list to pick up in the next couple of days.

Dunnes is open till 12am where I am, don't know if that's everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,873 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Think my Dunnes is open until 2am (21-23rd)

Pretty certain they did go 24 hrs either during covid or covid may have stopped it. Not sure if 24hrs is needed....I think some Tesco branches might be 24hrs

• Registered Users Posts: 10,269 ✭✭✭✭DvB

First day of my holidays today. Had our work Christmas lunch/dinner yesterday and drinks after, got home at 11.30 and glad I didn't go hard on the beer as I feel grand. Shower get dressed and then I'm off to dunnes in blanch for the big grocery shop.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

May the force be with you!!!

It was very busy last night, took 30 minutes to get out of the carpark!

However I don't go to blanch that often, I suspect if I'd gone out the "back" way and circled around I'd have been quicker.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Off to do the big shop before Christmas. Feel unprepared for this. And the crowd is meant to be savage this morning!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Our online shop arrived from Dunnes this morning a few bits out of stock but I’ll add them to the list of what’s left which isn’t much, I answered the door in my Christmas jumper dress off course lovely older man delivering he was shocked when I gave him a little tip, we very seldom get the same delivery driver

Other half in the office this morning hopefully he wraps up work before 12

• Registered Users Posts: 30,495 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Just a reminder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Did my big grocery shop in Tesco on Wednesday. I think a lot of people were still in work as it was actually grand. No queueing for a till, I spotted an opening when I was done and ran to it.

Don’t forget your turkey trays and tray for veg if you use them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭jellybear

The lights on our tree broke...not even the plug, the cord from the lights so I have to take everything off to put new ones on....great way to spend a Friday afternoon 🤣

My local dunnes was busy this morning so I'll probably go at 7am tomorrow when they open 🙂

• Advertisement

I was thinking of doing that, but I've been finding this week so hard to get out of bed, energy levels are so low.

I'm thinking of going night time....in the hope kids and oaps will be at home....it's Saturday night so people will be in the pub! So just people on a mission like myself!

I just have to pick up meat from butcher and a handful of groceries, but it's parking that's the issue, then finding a trolley...stress

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I'm doing the Big Shop this evening when I'm finished work. Already panicking that they won't have anything left. 😄

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

My local Dunnes was restocking like rabbits today. So you should be fine for stock.

The entire experience this morning was mad. No trollies left at all. Even the trolly bays in the car park were all empty. People were following people back to their cars asking them to take their trolly. I found one after 20 mins.

The queue at the till was 20 mins but moved quickly. Think I got everything I need. Good atmosphere around the place tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dubstepper

We are heading off to Austria for Christmas. Have conflicting feelings. Looking forward to the week away but will miss on the peaceful break of eating and tv. Also means we don't have to do the 'big shop' 😀

Braved the winds and got the family graves done it was wild be lucky if everything stays in place on the grave

Did another blitz of my mams house I’m hoping we might get some good news that she might get home or even home for a few hour's, exchanged cards presents with good neighbours

It all feels very calm other half even said he feels like we are forgetting something that don’t speak to soon etc…. so I’m hoping the only thing to come at us is good news about mam

I had a fear I lost my butchers docket but I have it in my purse 😃

Quick trip to a small local Dunnes it was busy but I got in and out I’ll have to make another trip later as I’ve a cute Christmas Bear to collect that’s click and collect (didn’t bother hanging around at that till it was mental)

I've had that experience of being followed for my trolley 😂😂😂

Though I have to say the Dunnes I go to now usually brings lots of trollies out of storage.

All part of the fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,319 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

**** is getting real ha

Few pints tonight cant wait, had a few sneaky ones yesterday. Not able to for all this drinking ha

Officially all supplies in, just to collect Turkey and ham and fresh bread for the sambos I think that might call for a G&T or beer this evening

Cheers everyone x

Post edited by SarahLil on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,476 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I watching we're just about prepared in our house. I have to help the MIL collect/carry the turkey and ham tomorrow while I also pick up the fry ingredients for breakfast that morning but that's about it. Nephew is getting christened tomorrow and we have a lunch lined up afterwards so that'll be a lovely day.

I might get time to sit down on the 26th 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭tscul32

Did a bit of a shop this afternoon in aldi, no queues. Tomorrow morning will get up early and hit the shopping centre to finish it off. Don't plan on doing too much on Sunday so final clean up and spend the day baking tomorrow and chill on Sunday.

Got a lovely cheese hamper in the secret santa in work. Excellent choice even though I'm only new so no-one really knows me yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭A cup of te

Finally finished work today. Back on Wednesday but I can finally get into the Christmas spirit now. I'm sitting here at long last having a cup of tea from my Santa china cup listening to my Christmas CD. Bliss.

We had our work lunch yesterday and had to go back to the desks after it. Lots of work drama followed, millions of emails because we dared to be away from the desks for a long lunch :-( killed any christmas spirit we'd conjured. Meeting friends tomorrow, godparents Christmas Eve, brother/sis in law/nephews Christmas Day and aunt on Stephen's Day so it's a busy one ahead! Still just so good to get away from that work computer. Any day away is a good day!

Nephew got his secret santa cadbury bar today and reckons it was from Mrs Claus ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,319 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Onto number 4 I think ha

Been in rounds is a killer ba

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭jellybear

Just back from the big shop and it was grand! Was planning to go first thing tomorrow but chanced it at about 8.30pm and plenty of stock and got straight through the checkout. Nice to have that done!🙂🙂

Not sure what out Christmas holds as my mam has come down with a bad dose. We were doing dinner at home anyway- myself, hubby and the kids but it just means presents with my family will have to wait.

@SarahLil I've been thinking of you and your mam. I hope you're doing okay. Everything crossed for a Christmas miracle that might see her get home soon 🤞🏼

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Big shop done, although they didn't have the turkey I wanted, boo-urns. Remind me next year to head to Tesco the second they come in! 😂

They also had lovely festive cheesecakes advertised in the tesco catalogue and not to be seen either. How dare they toy with my emotions like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭antimatterx

You would think the work day is over once the lunch starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,676 ✭✭✭✭L1011

8am Lidl run for the (first batch of) forgotten bits done - turkey tray, ham glaze etc. Shop was already getting busy when we left.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,269 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Just back from the barbers, the traffic queing for blanch was already building when I was driving home.

Have to pop down in the morning to collect the turkey and ham and other than that, thankfully, am done with the shops!

Operation house clean commences in about an hour (my least favourite bit) so we're almost ready now.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭BK5

Love this first morning off from work over Christmas. I've a few rashers on the grill, fresh brown bread waiting to be cut, kettle on and tree lit. Just able to sit at the kitchen table and chill, pure bliss.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭tscul32

Back from the shops. Was in dunnes in the pavilions before 8. Only a few small tirkeys left and not expecting more in, even tomorrow. Something to dovwith tomorrow being Sunday. Lots of unhappy people. We left them to it and scooted down to supervalu where there were also only a few birds but at least they were extra large so we got ours there.

Had planned on a coffee in Butlers but there was a massive queue there so ditched that plan. Then off to Lidl on the way home and no queues at all there. Hopefully we won't need to go near a shop now for a few days, the fridge is bursting.

• Advertisement

Happy Christmas Eve Eve Elves

All your posts are lovely to read this morning that’s what it’s all about…the right mix of hustle bustle, the Christmas shortages, the Christmas clean and moments like @BK5 says first morning of holidays at home with twinkling lights

anyone with prescriptions to collect please collect today I seen a few of our local ones not opening Christmas Eve as it’s a Sunday so keep that in minds elves, I know you will always get the few that open late 24/7 but save yourself the hassle

thank you @jellybear everything crossed for my mam xx I hope your mam and family make a speedy recovery, I know where you are coming from you want the memories of your little one exchanging gifts with family it’s the whole athmosphere hopefully it will happen for you

Advertisement