Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Little lad is bathed, in fresh pjs, story done and in bed. But just before bed we put out Santa’s milk and cookies and a carrot for the reindeer.

I brought him outside to look at the night sky to see if we could see Santa. And without flinching he kept pointing to the same spot in the sky shouting santy santy santy. So I’m on his side, he saw Santy in the sky and I won’t be convinced of anything else.

Needless to say my year has been made the moment was surreal and surprising as I’m so shocked how much he understands this year. He has his Christmas present list remembered off. And is Santy obsessed at the moment.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Chinese has been inhaled and ham is done and looking beautiful all is left is to help santy put out the presents and to do up a timing schedule for dinner tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,475 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Christmas story bedtime reading done and the kids are now in bed. The younger one is shattered after being sick last weekend and during the week. M&S curries in front of the TV watching Arthur Christmas earlier. I'm absolutely stuffed.

Now to prep the breakfast and sit down in front of the TV with a beer or wine and watch some carols. Nearly there...

• Registered Users Posts: 38,319 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Dropped into my local Wetherspoons

Shameless would have nothing on it 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Like Lough said all families row 100%, tomorrow’s a new day, be kind to yourself xx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Fr Ted xmas special is getting outdated but it will never be bad

Very underated role for Gerard McSorley. Dont know about ye but id be scared to meet up him in real life after his portrayals. One i dont want to memtion

• Registered Users Posts: 68,676 ✭✭✭✭L1011

He's had a very hard life in recent years and has turned up in the news for the wrong reasons a lot. Has actually still had some roles in the interim.

he seemed to always show up in a lot of stuff a few years back

• Registered Users Posts: 9,475 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I came downstairs earlier after saying goodnight to the kids and Mrs H had Die Hard ready to watch on the TV. As she said "well what else would we watch on Christmas Eve?" 🥰

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭gidget

It's here! Merry Christmas one & all 😉

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Happy Christmas Day everyone! 😊

I hope everything looks better in the morning, @antimatterx.

@Loughc Ah, he seen santa in the sky. It really is magical at that age. 🧡

Happy Christmas everyone

Its here its actually here, time is scary

• Registered Users Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭Dickie10

might have mentioned this before but does anyone else thats single and childless, often feel a melancholy cloud over them on a night like Christmas Eve? the last 5 or 6 years this has gotten in on me more and more, its very hard to put a finger on what it feels like, but its not overly debilatating or anything, I do feel that Im caught in a strange limbo of being caught in the fun of all the christmas but also the absence of any proper family traditions surrounding it, more and more over the past few years it has blurred to becoming "another ordinary day" at times i had to remind myself of the day it was. my parents are elderly and would treat the day very much in the sense its just another sunday in the middle of winter, outside of the religous end of it we wouldnt send cards or recieve many visitors to the house, my siblings all have children of their own and so do their own traditions and have become more and more absent from the home house over the last few years, it all adds to leaving the home house very bleak and lonely, there is no family dinners held here at christmas anymore either so even though all my family live within 10 mins of the home house their visits have almost become fly bys for just getting a task done or family admin, definitley feel it would be very different if some of them only visited once every few months. I also get the feeling my parents lack of effort put into anything festive led them to be not too bothered about hanging around our place too long. My thoughts tonight are also on a girl I dated during the summer for about two months and how things may have turned out so different this Christmas had that worked out as I hoped it would because I was very much into her. Sorry for the post but Id love to know does anyone else every feel this way on christmas eve

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭DenMan

Happy Christmas everyone! Hope you all have a great time! Enjoy the festivities.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭ClaudeVercetti

Happy Christmas all hope it's a great day ahead!

Happy Christmas everyone!! Have a great day whatever you do!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

I know it's a massive undertaking but why don't you invite everyone to the house next Christmas?

Set the wheels in motion in January, divvy out who brings what so you're not stuck with all the cooking (and the expense)

Unless you're a big extrovert the majority of people just muddle along, thinking everyone else is happy with the status quo.

You may not get all the siblings but I'm sure one family will say yes....won't know until you ask!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,846 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

Happy Christmas to everyone, have the best day ⛄️🎄

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭tscul32

Happy Christmas everyone. I think I have 2 minutes left in bed, 7am rule here. Can hear someone awake already 😁

Hope Santa came 🎅

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Happy Christmas everyone. Can't believe the day is here. Seems like only a few days ago we were celebrating double digit day! Hope everyone has a wonderful day. I was awoken this morning at 6 am by a one year old smashing and fling into my head and laughing her head off 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Happy Christmas Elves! Have a wonderful day and thank you all for your company throughout the year!

Great excitement here this morning, although it has died down a bit now! Middle elf awake since 4.30 which means I am too. He was in our bed, out of it again, back in again...asked a hundred times could we get up...we caved at 6.15.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dubstepper

It's hard when your life doesn't conform to the image of Christmas but I'd agree with @Princess Calla that you could take it on yourself. Decorate the house and inject a bit of atmosphere yourself. Perhaps reach out to your siblings to let them know how you feel. There is no shame in letting people know you are feeling down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Went to mass in my local church last night , surprised how many were there , some great singing , met plenty and felt good after it . Great sense of community 4 or 500 people been together for an hour , delighted I went .

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭A cup of te

Merry Christmas everyone :)

@Dickie10 I have also started to experience more sadness around Christmas Eve and Day. Also, single, childless and without my own home and hurtling towards 40. I don't know why but every year I tell myself next year will be different! We've always got a crowd around the place but I'm a total spare wheel and end up playing with the children. How have I got none of the above at my age. People are almost even beginning to express their sympathy to me! But once again I'm determined to have life sorted for next year. I am definitely going to have my own house by this time next year (ive said that a few times here ;)) and i am hoping to have loads over to mine for the first year and just go mad with the decorations. I think i can make christmas more fun again once i have my own place. Is that an option for you if you have your own place? It's harder at home. I know my mam just wouldn't want some of my 'tacky' decorations going up here ;) Once you have hope and a plan of how to make the situation better you're onto something. Wishing you a Merry Christmas, the here and now is all we have and, of course, there's nothing wrong with the memories either and basking in a bit of nostalgia at this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Happy Christmas folks

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭A cup of te

@antimatterx many happy returns and hope you and your sibling are OK now. Wishing you a peaceful and happy Christmas now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭jellybear

Merry Christmas all 🎅🎄

Sending warm wishes to those finding things tough this year.

Hope everyone has a lovely day.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭BK5

Happy Christmas Everyone!!!

As @CheerLouth already said, thank you for the company during the year, this place means a lot to me.

@antimatterx nip the row in the bud today, it's the perfect day for it and nothing is worth falling out over when it's family.

@Dickie10 as others have said, start your own Christmas tradition, let your siblings know your feeling down and either host Christmas or you go to one of them and enjoy a bit of craic on the day.

Need to get the turkey in the oven or we'll be eating too late. One year I forgot to cook the ham ha ha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

I got woken up at the unearthly hour of 9am 😂 (my kids are sleepers) I'm usually well up , but it was a late one last night and a busy few days.

Watching the Mario Bros film now, all quiet!

Merry Christmas everyone 🎄🎄🎄🎁🎁🎁

Advertisement