Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas Off Topic Chat

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,269 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Great to hear so many had a great day, we ended up having a few drinks into the wee hours with lots of stories from the grandparents, a great way to finish what was a lovely day.

Bit of packing to do today before we head to Athlone tomorrow to meet the rest of my inlaws but that can wait, will get washed and get out for a nice long walk, otherwise this food baby is going nowhere!

Have a great St. Stephens Day everyone!

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 38,319 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Hahaha true though

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Christmas dinner number 2 done and dusted and it was even nicer than yesterday.

Leftover sambos for tonight after the wee man goes to bed.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I usually prefer Stephens Day dinner, tbh!

It gives you a chance to make right any mistakes made on Christmas day- eg. today I will try not to incinerate the parsnips. 😂

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Yesterday's leftovers with feet up and the Leinster v Munster game on TV tonight.....bliss.

Gonna give this try in the airfryer in a bit too.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C0uBLR6IEYH/?igshid=MTc4MmM1YmI2Ng==

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,846 ✭✭✭Cork Lass

I really enjoyed yesterday. It was just the 4 of us and was very relaxed. Dinner was lovely and delicious sandwiches were had for tea and late evening snacks. Harry Potter on all day, my girls are in their twenties but still love gods old Harry. Went for a swim this morning and it was just fantastic, cold but brilliant. Just going to get dinner of leftovers ready now. Enjoy the rest of the day everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,475 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Currently have the kids and their cousins playing a board game on the living room floor as I try and keep my eyes open before dinner. Made some homemade sausage rolls for lunch and made a pig of myself with the sweets while they were all brought to the playground. Also set up the Switch but they're never going to get near it - the online shop is lethal. €1.50 for all the Sonic games? Don't mind if I do... 😅

A definite highlight was seeing my brother in the flesh on Christmas Day for the first time in 32 years as he called in with my mother on the way down to visit my sister for dinner. 32 years. Can't believe it's been that long

• Registered Users Posts: 5,872 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

I got the Playmobil zoo a few years ago. It was such a disaster, the pieces are absolutely tiny, for no apparent reason (baby hedgehog that was about .5 cm came in two bits, why?). I won't buy another thing from the range.

Lego on the other hand, their tiny pieces make sense and are more than welcome in the house

Just getting dinner ready now. My bloody sinuses are back playing havoc with me today though, looks like I'll be smothering for the rest of the Christmas holidays. Typical, but kind of sums up 2023 for me.

Looking forward to dinner mind, and I.can have pudding, whipped cream and custard for dessert because Christmas calories don't count

Right?

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭gidget

Had a nice quiet day yesterday, got soaked when I went out to walk my dog when the torrential rain started, while I was halfway around our route & hopped straight back into my comfy PJ's as soon as I got home for the rest of the day doing the usual eating & tv watching.

Unfortuntely, Christmas dinner no.2 today didn't taste as nice as yesterday due to a strong rhubarb scented candle someone gifted me that was lighting in the kitchen, which unfortunately consumed the dinner to the point I could taste it while eating the roast potatoes. Lesson learned for the future anyways.

Oh and just spotted an advert on Virgin Media for Christmas 2024 for one of those savings ads saying "Start preparing for Christmas 2024 today" ha! 😝

Post edited by gidget on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Bluebell woods

Home alone today, however I had a gorgeous day yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 30,495 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭jellybear

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

They better not count! 😂

Like calories consumed during the work day don't count either, because you work them off. So grazing on sweets/leftover chocolates from 9-5 is really making you both slimmer and fitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

We had a lovely day Christmas Day, we had to wake our little one at 8 am, seeing what Santa left through her eyes was magical, we had breakfast at home and visited the in-laws, my mam managed to come to us for most of the day and OMG did it do her the world of good I couldn’t believe how well she looked it really gave her a lift she had a great day

Today we visited my cousins for breakfast we had a great morning, all the kids playing, they were out in the fresh air too then back home with my mam again for the same as yesterday

Little one asleep already I am having a Prosecco I will certainly be having some more turkey and ham shortly along with a few other goodies

Enjoy everyone x

Delighted your mam did so well Sarah that’s great to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭BK5

Lovely dinner again yesterday, really happy that everything turned out well. I tend to focus on something negative with the Christmas dinners if I don't get them just right. Called into next door last night for a drink and had a nice night with them, they only moved in this year and are a really lovely couple and they love Christmas as well.

Have to call into work now for a couple of hours which is a pain and then we are heading down to my parents house to meet up with all my clan.

Hope everyone else has a great day.

Just doing a bit of a tidy up in the house then we are heading out for lunch. First time leaving the house since the 22nd, excluding dog and toddler walks haha

I love the time between Christmas and new years. Everything so calm and relaxed.

We're heading to Athlone for a couple of days, no more cooking and cleaning for a bit, looking forward to having my dinner handed to me and real pints!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Doing nothing here myself now today. Was out on Christmas eve for pints and yesterday then for a right session so the body needs a break. Just had a turkey ham and stuffing sandwich with some mayo and am now awaiting the darts to start so I can absolutely pig out on tunnocks tea cakes and various other delicious things 😁

Post edited by Smell the glove on

Without thinking got up on the weighing scales today.... oh dear!

🫣

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

😄😄😄 I'm avoiding mine until the new year.

i love this as it’s so true!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Actually ended up going out to Homestore & More as I forgot I had to pick a housewarming present. My god it's depressing, no Christmas music, a tiny little section of Christmas stuff on sale and the whole area cleared out.

Yeah retail really grinds my gears the way they move on from Christmas so quickly. I remember growing up you’d see Christmas decorations in shops until the 6th of Jan and even beyond that.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,676 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Got to get the easter egg aisle stocked, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,475 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I'll tell you what's depressing - the poxy weather. I've had the living room light on all day every day since the weekend. Pouring rain again earlier and gale-force winds. I think the last time it was this bad was back in 2015 when Elf #2 was nearly 12 months old and we were climbing the walls with cabin fever because both elves were under the weather and it was pouring rain constantly.

I've hidden the weighing scales but am staring at an almighty pile of party bags of crisps in the cloakroom and am steeling myself to get stuck into them later while we watch The Holiday (another of our Christmas films we always try to watch).

• Registered Users Posts: 68,676 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The weather has so far at least delayed my NYE plans - not going on a small ferry in this storm so I won't be WFH from a rock in the North Atlantic tomorrow. Still intending to go up Friday. Actually I'd be fine with the ferry but my partner would not!

Island house has previously had zero decorations as I've mentioned before, figuring out a few bits to make it more festive. Christmas scented candles in nice candle holders; got a set of 400 outdoor lights to jam in to the stone wall at the back of the driveway; and a few other hanging decorations that can dangle from shelves in the living room.

There's also a hideous - in a good way - 70s poinsettia design jug and glasses set that is going to have the midnight cocktail made in it. Will go the pub after if we aren't at risk of getting blown in to the ocean on the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,495 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I always hate when you go to the shops in the days after Christmas and they are poorly stocked, no Christmas stock, storage tubs everywhere and exercise equipment.

Your only hope is their might be a push for New Year's Eve.

Advertisement